Notices

OTC Sleep Meds

Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OTC Sleep Meds

I have issues sleeping sometimes. It usually comes in waves or like a few days at a time where I will lie in bed for hours unable to sleep, I will buy a bottle of OTC sleep meds and they really knock me out, I usually take 3 or 4 and wait an hour and I sleep great, but then take them for a few days in a row, are they bad for you? I can't remember the name but it's the same medication as Tylenol PM without the Tylenol, begins with a D.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't take sleep aids, they remind me too much of hangovers and that hits too close to home. It's been recommended I give melatonin a try but thus far I'm sticking with prayer and meditation for a little help.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What's been working for me the past year is the otc nite time sleep aid Diphenhydramine 50 mg softgel. I take this every night six times a week about 2 hours before bedtime. One night a week I take 10 mg of Ambien just to change it up.

Fortunately for me one 50 mg softgel of Diphenhydramine will do it and I don't need to take anymore. As long as I take it about 8 hours before I have to wake up I'm fine. I don't wake up feeling groggy or tired from the meds. I'm able to get about 4-6 hours of sleep from this.

Same with 10mg Ambien once a week. I'm able to get 4-6 hours of sleep. But with Ambien I feel a little bit groggy the next morning. That's why I take Diphenhydramine 6 times a week and Ambien once a week.

To make up for the sleep deprivation from not getting 8 hours of sleep, I take a 1-2 hour nap after dinner and sleep from 7 pm - 8:30 pm after setting my alarm for 8:30 pm, then take Diphenhydramine at 8:30 pm and go to bed at about 11 pm and set my alarm at 4 am for work.

This may sound a little awkward for most people, but it works good enough for me and seems the only way for me to get my sleep in.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope it continues to work for you.

It worked for me for about 3 or 4 months.

I'm off everything right now. Not sleeping but 1-2 hours a night.

Will try to go back on that in a month or so again.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have used zoplicone in the past for 7 days & I have used otc Nytol before for 2 weeks

I spoke to my Dr before anything though & followed Dr's advice