Notices

Interesting about insomniacs v. long sleepers

Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting about insomniacs v. long sleepers

I read so many thread here about insomniacs but I rarely see many about those that sleep too much.

I have been in and out of sobriety. Long periods and other times drinking. Regardless of which one I sleep 8-10 hours a night. I fall asleep right away. Wake up usually several times but fall back within a minute.

I do wake up groggy but come out of it in an hour. I don't drink caffeine or take any drugs either prescribed or OTC.

It adversely affects me like maybe an insomniac. I don't have enough hours in the day to get things done. Nothing physically wrong with me.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would consider it a gift. I've had sleep issues my entire life. It is horrible. I can't slow down my brain at the end of the day. I only really need 6 hrs, but love to get 8+ on the rare occasion that I do. Wife is complete opposite, head hits the pillow...wait 2 minutes. The next thing she knows, its morning.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are groggy and tired after a supposed good night's sleep, I'd recommend checking with your doc. Some years ago I was sleeping all night but was tired all day. Mine turned out to be sleep apnea which improved a great deal with a CPAP machine. So although I had been sleeping, it wasn't good quality sleep and not enough REM stage.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As a veteran insomniac, I’d consider it a rare gift too, but I agree with the advice to check for sleep apnea or other causes for excessive fatigue.

I’d venture to say that many of us alkies may have been insomniacs even before we began drinking heavily. I know I was, and part of the reason I began to drink heavily was that for a while at least, it helped me sleep.

Then, once tolerance and dependence got bad enough, alcohol didn’t work to help me sleep anymore. Once I stopped drinking, the insomnia really got bad because my CNS — which already tended toward hyperactivity on its own — was kicked into overdrive due to rebounding from having been artificially suppressed for so long.

I’m guessing that’s a fairly typical scenario, and why you see more threads on SR about insomnia rather than its opposite.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
If you are groggy and tired after a supposed good night's sleep, I'd recommend checking with your doc. Some years ago I was sleeping all night but was tired all day. Mine turned out to be sleep apnea which improved a great deal with a CPAP machine. So although I had been sleeping, it wasn't good quality sleep and not enough REM stage.
Since I quit boozing i sleep deeper. I still wake up 😮once at night but then usually back out in an hour.

I wake up with some heavy groggy feelings. Sort of like a hangover. But, it fades in minutes.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's been my experience that grogginess that fades quickly is not a problem. Lingering grogginess needs to be checked.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr