Notices

Just Starting

Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Starting

Hello. I am so relieved I found this forum as everyone seems to be so supportive and helpful. A brief background. I struggle with anxiety/depression alongside a very unhealthy marriage of 7 years. I use alcohol and weed as a way to not deal with the feelings that accompany this. The hard part for me is that, on paper, I may not seem that bad in terms of my addictions. I get blackout drunk but not every day or even every week. But the way I use drugs/alcohol has changed over the last 7 years from being a social thing to being something that was extremely comforting to me and something that I would do in private and actively try to hide from others. That is why I have made the decision to give up drugs and alcohol. I need to deal with all of the emotions/pain that I've been hiding away for at least the last 7 years.

My biggest concern is that I will simply replace drugs and alcohol with another one of my coping mechanisms. I also suffer from disordered eating. I cycle back and forth between binging/purging and restricting. My main focus to prevent his from happening is to find healthy coping mechanisms that can take the place of drugs/alcohol. Thank you all for reading and I look forward to spending more time on here as my sobriety progresses!

-B
Old 08-09-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sonic!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Hi! Welcome to SR!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sonic
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is great to have you here, congratulations on your decision to quit alcohol and drugs.
It sounds to me like a big thing you will need to make a plan for is how to handle stress and difficult situations. You are right that turning to another obsessive behavior would not be good. What could be a new way to cope? What is something that you like to do or would like to do, that you could use in moments of stress? For example I like to exercise regularly, but when I get particularly stressed or am thinking about stopping by my local bar I can successfully replace that with an extra workout, a bike ride, a walk or something active and it helps me to calm down and to fight the cravings that come along with the stress.
Another idea could be playing an instrument if music interests you, maybe you already play or you could take up a new hobby.
If you are able to, taking a nap sometimes makes things a lot better.
Try to think of some ideas of something you could do instead of drink, smoke or engage in unhealthy eating habits.
We're here to support you. Take care.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, SonicCat24. This is a better way of life. Wishing you the best and hope you'll check in often.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support!

Meraviglioso - Those are great suggestions, thank you. Music is actually my passion. I play guitar/piano in two bands. That's something I can definitely use as healthy stress reliever. I have always loved running. I actually just got back from a 2.5 mile run for the first time in a while and it felt great!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Music and exercise (walking) are two things that have helped me deal with the emotions and feelings I had numbed away. I also love getting into a good book. Some people also find journaling helpful dealing with the recovery process. I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SonicCat!!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome soniccat
My biggest concern is that I will simply replace drugs and alcohol with another one of my coping mechanisms.
try not to worry about that too much. Drinking and drugging are not really coping mechanisms - they're avoiding mechanisms.

Recovery, for me at least, has been all about learning real, effective and healthy coping mechanisms for life's ups and downs

D
Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Sonic! We all understand what you're going through. Posting and reading here will help with the anxiety. Congratulations on deciding to change your life.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 08-09-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. We try to support one another in our quest for sobriety
Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SonicCat.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

SonicCat, Welcome...there's so much information and support here on SR you can't help but succeed!