Notices

it's those little things

Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it's those little things

This past month has been a real pain. It has been raining here almost every day for the past month. Most of the area is flooded. I decided take my chances two weeks ago and try to get a workout in. I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to the gym. Well, that turned out to be a bad decision. Left the gym, and got stuck in the flood. Had to leave my car and take a cab home. Picked it up the next day. Had to miss my AA meetings and the gym for the next several days. I mean, people were actually kayaking down the roads. OK, stuff happens, no big deal. Well, yesterday, the sun actually came out so I threw my gym bag in my trunk and had plans for a meeting and the gym. Got in my car ready for a great day. Not!! Car wouldn't start. Called AAA. Turned out my starter was burned out because of driving in the flood. Spent the day in the shop getting it replaced ($400). No meeting, no gym. Got up this morning to try again. Did make it to a meeting, but when I came out, thunderstorms. No gym. I don't work in the summer, so I have all kinds of time to get myself in trouble with drinking.
I know this might not sound like much to people with real problems, but I thrive on routine. I'm pretty much a mess without it. I don't feel like drinking now, but I figured putting this petty stuff out there will help to keep it from building in my head. Tomorrows a new day.!! John
Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry all that happened john
Old 08-07-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Gee, when it rains, it pours, eh?

I've had periods like that where one thing after another seemed to go wrong. Not fun at all while it's happening, but afterwards I've looked on that sort of thing as some kind of a test of how well I'm practicing acceptance.

Life often throws things at me that I can do nothing about and learning to "roll with the punches" can help me to be happier person.

I also try to remember to tell myself "This too, shall pass", although often through gritted teeth.

Good that you're talking about it, instead of stewing in it.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you're having troubles. I hope things soon get back to normal.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I know this might not sound like much to people with real problems, but I thrive on routine. I'm pretty much a mess without it. I don't feel like drinking now, but I figured putting this petty stuff out there will help to keep it from building in my head. Tomorrows a new day.!! John
Hi John, I am a creature of habit, too, so I can relate to your frustrations. Plus, the weather you are describing can do a number on your head! We have had some pretty severe thunder/hail/rain storms just recently. Luckily, it has calmed down now but when we were in the thick of it, can be difficult to keep my head up.

I like how you ended your post, "Tomorrows a new day!!"

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good idea for posting it 2 much pain. Getting it out there at least helps to stop you from simmering over it
Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for all of that! Very good to get it out and not let it build up!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
This past month has been a real pain. It has been raining here almost every day for the past month. Most of the area is flooded. I decided take my chances two weeks ago and try to get a workout in. I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to the gym. Well, that turned out to be a bad decision. Left the gym, and got stuck in the flood. Had to leave my car and take a cab home. Picked it up the next day. Had to miss my AA meetings and the gym for the next several days. I mean, people were actually kayaking down the roads. OK, stuff happens, no big deal. Well, yesterday, the sun actually came out so I threw my gym bag in my trunk and had plans for a meeting and the gym. Got in my car ready for a great day. Not!! Car wouldn't start. Called AAA. Turned out my starter was burned out because of driving in the flood. Spent the day in the shop getting it replaced ($400). No meeting, no gym. Got up this morning to try again. Did make it to a meeting, but when I came out, thunderstorms. No gym. I don't work in the summer, so I have all kinds of time to get myself in trouble with drinking.
Well John I'm only starting on day 5 today but one thing that has helped me is changing my routine. Once you stop drinking, and is committed to do so, which it sounds like you are, most things have to change. I've learned this in only 5 days. I'm not saying to stop living your life but possibly change up the routine as to not get as frustrated when things don't go as planned. Then most importantly at the end of the day make sure you make sure you commend yourself by making it through a not so ideal day, sober.
"1dayaddatime"
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I'm now a little embarassed posting my frustrations. I mean, there are people here who's cars were a total loss. I know of one business that was a complete loss.
Houses and mobile homes destroyed. Now these are real problems. Geeeze, what's wrong with me!!!!!! I'm home now in my dry apartment. My car is fixed. It's like when I get all bent out of shape when I have a bad day at work. At least I have a job. Seems like it doesn't take much to set me off. Maybe I've become too used to having things my way. My days usually go the way I planned them. I think it's called being spoiled. Now I'm just feeling ashamed, but probably in a good way. John
Old 08-07-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good idea to put these situations and thoughts out there in the open. I'm also a creature of habit and used to use any break in that routine as an excuse to drink. Today I still set myself goals and routines but I only have one concrete, set-in-stone daily goal/routine: I do not drink no matter what and I check in here on SR at least once a day to hold myself accountable.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No worries, John; sometimes we just have to let our frustrations out.

Hope sunnier days are ahead for you!!!!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi John. That does stink - all the rain but hang in there as drinking won't help. Maybe when it's raining have a substitute like yoga or meditation or painting the rooms. Anything but drinking
Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You must live in Tampa Bay. Yep the rain and flooding do mess up a routine, which I also prefer.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
You must live in Tampa Bay. Yep the rain and flooding do mess up a routine, which I also prefer.
Yep. I actually saw kids wakeboarding in the streets. John
Old 08-07-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's absolutely nothing wrong with venting John - in fact I was going to commend you for doing so

I think it's really important to get these irritations out and in the light, not keeping them to ourselves to fester.

D
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

If it's important to you - we care. Complaining to your friends is healthy. Of course there's always someone worse off, but that doesn't mean your feelings aren't valid. Better days are ahead.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
If it's important to you - we care. Complaining to your friends is healthy. Of course there's always someone worse off, but that doesn't mean your feelings aren't valid. Better days are ahead.
That's one of the nicest things anybody has said to me in a long time. Thanks. John
Old 08-08-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi.

It’s been shown that alcoholics can generally handle the big situations in life but have difficulty with the smaller “broken shoelaces.” I have to cool off when I drop an egg, spill some milk, over salt something etc.

I had to learn: “it’s OK to plan ahead, just don’t plan the outcome.”

And this one I chuckle at after the fact: “Man plans, God laughs.”

BE WELL
Old 08-08-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.

It’s been shown that alcoholics can generally handle the big situations in life but have difficulty with the smaller “broken shoelaces.” I have to cool off when I drop an egg, spill some milk, over salt something etc.

I had to learn: “it’s OK to plan ahead, just don’t plan the outcome.”

And this one I chuckle at after the fact: “Man plans, God laughs.”

BE WELL
You're right. I never thought about it before, but for the most part I can deal with big problems without drinking over it, but the little things drive me crazy. It's the day to day stuff that I have a hard time with. Go figure. John
Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Wow John - What you went through sounded like real problems to me !! That's a lot to have to struggle with , you just kept pushing on