Notices

Mindfulness

Old 08-05-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mindfulness

I am trying to live "more in the moment" (a mindful life) to reduce anxiety and depression which is part of my recovery plan. This is kinda my homework project that I will take with me to my next additions psychiatrist appointment. It seems to me that a person needs to first deal with one priority and block out other things that you need to do or that bothers you?? To work towards taking life as it unfolds rather than worry about the future or ruminate about the past.

I am wondering if others have worked this into their recovery plan and what steps have worked for them.

Thanks...
Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely, itwillbe. I'm early in recovery but I know from past slips not to immediately start planning out my new and better life. I don't totally love my job anymore and want to move on, but I'm going to focus on doing my best at it, staying sober, and wait for it to feel right to start pursuing bigger changes. One thing at a time! Best of luck!!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

As part of my therapy for the same things im incorparating mindfulness into my life i have started daily meditations with guided mindfulness and guided meditation today i tried a beginners guide to chakras i think it helps to read up on it so i have ordered a book that was recommended to me
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks upwardspirl... and Yes, my number one priority is not picking up a drink which will make me capable of doing anything I want to within time.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf, I have started mediation, but hope to use it more often... it brings so much peace.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am working on mindfulness and mediation myself, and I still consider myself a "beginner" ;-)

I don't view it as "blocking other things out" as much as just acknowledging things for what they are and reacting appropriately. For example, if you see a raging dog running at you with it's teeth bared, an appropriate response would be to get out of the way or protect yourself immediately. Conversely, if you are annoyed by something a coworker or family member says, it's probably fine to just acknowledge it and move on ( VS. getting worked up and having a confrontation ).

Another example is specifically in my instance of health anxiety - if I have a strange feeling in a part of my body, I try to just view it as that...a strange feeling and something normal that my body does...vs. overreacting and making into some kind of possible/horrible health problem in my head.

That's where the meditation fits in for me....when you meditate you are simply trying to concentrate on one thing only. It's impossible for you to completely block out other thougths, but re focusing over and over on that ONE thing helps you learn to just acknowledge the other fleeting thoughts as just that - and refocus on your goal at hand.

I really liked the book "10% Happier" by Dan Harris, a great down to earth read on his journey through meditation and mindfulness as a beginner.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mindfulness and meditation are tools I use.

It is really empowering to learn to control what you choose to think about. Of course, some things have to be planned such as retirement etc. - but the gist of it is to observe the thoughts as they come and then if they are not useful in the moment, usher them out and replace them with positive thoughts of things over which I have some control, and which will increase and expand my life.

Thoughts are like waves, they come and they go and I just observe most of them. My meditation uses a visualization of calming the waters.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I use Mindfulness too. It's a great tool to help keep you present and in the moment. I don't think you can only focus on one thing/part at a time, though. In fact, when I started recovery I noticed a ripple effect in my life. If I made one positive change, it would flow into other areas of my life.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks ScottFromWI, your explanation really helps and I’m an avid reader so will definitely pick up the book you mentioned.

Thanks biminiblue… empowering to learn to control what I think about would really help me out. I am taking small steps to make this happen… persistence of making small changes with help each day.

Thanks Anna… you are right about the ripple effect… love the results of making positive changes.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItWillBeWorthIt View Post
It seems to me that a person needs to first deal with one priority and block out other things that you need to do or that bothers you?? To work towards taking life as it unfolds rather than worry about the future or ruminate about the past.
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Mindfulness and meditation are tools I use.

It is really empowering to learn to control what you choose to think about. Of course, some things have to be planned such as retirement etc. - but the gist of it is to observe the thoughts as they come and then if they are not useful in the moment, usher them out and replace them with positive thoughts of things over which I have some control, and which will increase and expand my life.

These are both very profound statements. I've noticed recently that I tend to dwell on negative things, focusing on how unhappy I am with something, rather than moving along and trying to improve things, or at least turning my attention to something which won't make me unhappy. I think that is one of the traits which cause people to medicate themselves.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

the power of now was a good book on this. there are many other great books.

I like to think of it as here i am and there my mind is. all my thoughts emotions etc.. are all transient coming and going rising and falling. Its best if i be the watcher on the wall of all of this coming and going rather then getting all attached to all of that. If i'm not careful my mind can drag me around by the nose whereever it wishes.

various situations can really suck you in however but just dont take the bait dont bite the hook just observe.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When meditating I have learned from another as my mind starts to wander to simply acknowledge what it is trying to do - and simply say - not now, come back. Maybe later but not now. Not harsh, not judging just comeback.

I use passage meditation. Focus rhythmically on each word from any passage of ones choosing, visualizing each word.

Again, when my brain runs off and wants to discuss what's for dinner next week - not now, maybe later - come back. Don't scold - just be firm. Comeback.

This seems to keep me in the present during the day when I practice in the morning.

Thanks for the thread
Come back
Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with the The Power of Now. In fact I listened to it on audio and felt like I was really getting a one on one tutorial about mindfulness.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

There are several meditations and other things on utube.....

If I can't do anything to solve the situation Now, I try to let it go. It was a learning process (still is) and it takes practice....

Focus on the little things in front of you......even a bug crawling, a leaf floating or the sun shining.........
Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I am working on mindfulness and mediation myself, and I still consider myself a "beginner" ;-)

I don't view it as "blocking other things out" as much as just acknowledging things for what they are and reacting appropriately. For example, if you see a raging dog running at you with it's teeth bared, an appropriate response would be to get out of the way or protect yourself immediately. Conversely, if you are annoyed by something a coworker or family member says, it's probably fine to just acknowledge it and move on ( VS. getting worked up and having a confrontation ).

Another example is specifically in my instance of health anxiety - if I have a strange feeling in a part of my body, I try to just view it as that...a strange feeling and something normal that my body does...vs. overreacting and making into some kind of possible/horrible health problem in my head.

That's where the meditation fits in for me....when you meditate you are simply trying to concentrate on one thing only. It's impossible for you to completely block out other thougths, but re focusing over and over on that ONE thing helps you learn to just acknowledge the other fleeting thoughts as just that - and refocus on your goal at hand.

I really liked the book "10% Happier" by Dan Harris, a great down to earth read on his journey through meditation and mindfulness as a beginner.
Just want to say thanks to Scott this is the book that was recommended to me still waiting on all my books but they'l be delivered soon enough

Thanks Scott
Old 08-06-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to everyone for the information and what has worked for you. I think this will be a huge component in my recovery plan.

Did some mediating yesterday afternoon and last night was very peaceful. My mind was relaxed and it felt great.

Will order books today!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been interested in mindfulness and meditation for a long time (>10 years). Of course none of this was practiced well and with any consistency when I was drinking heavily, but got back into them in early sobriety.

When I first got interested in these things, I was struggling on my own so decided to look for some guidance. That led me to investigate a few different teachers and techniques, but it never truly clicked and kicked in until I found what and who was a natural fit for me. I found an ad for a meditation retreat online that seemed very intriguing, then I researched the source and the approach, and I got totally fascinated even just reading about it. It's called vipassana meditation, and my teacher is Alan Wallace. You can read about his work online. I signed up for a one-week retreat ran by him, and from the first day I knew I was at the right place. It was an amazing experience and I also met many like-minded people at different levels of their practice. Alan Wallace himself is the kind of mentor that I would happily have for anything I am interested in, his entire being and approach is wonderfully compatible with me.

An experience I had at start though was that I got intrigued by and wanted to jump into a very high level of it without having knowledge about and experience with the basics. Like the elephant in the porcelain store. My first retreat was also far from a beginner's course and while I enjoyed it very much, I only appreciate later looking backwards how I needed to start in the beginning to even comprehend accurately what it was about and how to use it for my benefit.

What I would suggest to anyone new interested in mindfulness and meditation is to get yourself informed and try different approaches. Some people prefer to do it on their own, I personally benefited a lot from having a guide and some structured learning experience.

A couple good books on the subject that are related to addiction:
The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery by Lawrence A. Peltz
The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction by Rebecca E. Williams

Other relevant authors I like are Pema Chodron and Eckhart Tolle (the author of The Power of Now that zjw mentioned).

Perhaps Refuge Recovery might also be interesting to you; they also have meetings in many parts of the world. Also, as mentioned above, there are many therapists that use these tools in their treatment approach. If you are interested in something perhaps more physically active but with essential elements of mindfulness, I find yoga very helpful.

I am also prone to anxiety and have had it at variable levels throughout my life. I choose not to take medication and manage it with tools like these, plus exercise and therapy. These things have worked wonders for me in sobriety.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I want to add that like others pointed out above, mindfulness is not meant to be blocking things out of awareness -- more the opposite. It's more a peaceful observation and acceptance of thoughts and feelings, and their endless dynamic. I find it especially helpful during very emotional times. My old habitual way of dealing with many emotions was exactly blocking them out and detaching. For me, a mindful existence is more a state of high awareness, non-attachment, and equanimity. Being able to view and attend to our our thoughts and feelings without being swept away by them or acting out impulsively.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

My book arrived today !
Old 08-06-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Aellyce for sharing all your personal experiences... I would love to go to a retreat, but it just isn't doable right now.

Also, I will check out those books they see perfect, because they directly relate to addition.

Wishing you the best.