Notices

Is this typical?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ghosts31

Is this typical?

Went to dinner with some friends at a place that serves pizza and 36 craft beers on tap. This was the first time I had been in an establishment that served alcohol since making the decision to quit? I immediately ordered ice tea with lemon and didn't look at the drink menu even when the waitress was describing it... For some reason however I got the shakes just thinking of looking at the beer menu and continued shaking at times throughout the meal ... Is this normal when first quitting?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wil

I shook all day today, but it has been a sober day. I'm only one day in and I've got a couple of addictions though.

I never shook from wanting something really bad. I've shook from a panic attack though.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sounds like anxiety. My alcoholic friend shakes shakes in the morning
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been avoiding all establishments that serve alcohol because I'm nervous about my response. I'm not worried that I'll drink, but I'm worried about getting something like what you describe. I guess I have to brace myself for whatever comes because I won't be able to avoid those settings forever. I've even been avoiding visiting my sister because she and her bf always have booze.

Glad you made it through dinner with your sobriety intact, even if you did have some discomfort.

Delfin
Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is why its a good idea to stay away from such places in early recovery while working on your recovery and building your sober muscles
Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I say if avoiding those kind of places is keeping you sober then why mess around with it? I avoided most of those places for about a year, and then I started to let my guard down. After 15 months of continuous sobriety I made a mistake and relapsed. It's back to avoiding those places and shopping for groceries after the liquor department is closed for me. I learned the hard way that no matter how long I've been sober, I still have to do whatever it takes to protect my sobriety.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I first got Sober, I thought about nothing other than alcohol all day long, if I wasn't trying to not drink it, I was reading about addiction, constantly looking over my shoulder and planning my next day of Sobriety or the weekend that was coming up.

Soo when put in a situation where alcohol was just across the way I'd have something close to a panic attack, my anxiety levels would go through the roof and the sheer fear of drinking would take over.

The solution is to simply not put ourselves in these situations if we don't have to be there, let things adjust, our body, our minds, our emotions.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Yes sounds like anxiety - which I have . Some recovering alcoholics can over come being around it , others always have to fight with their AV ( In my opinion ) . Wish I knew why myself ! Only because even after 2 years - snack foods are across from the liquor in my groc. Some days I can go there other days , not so good
Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yet to be in that situation. How long have you been sober? My AA friend said that she avoided "wet places" for months in her early recovery, maybe its a lil too soon for you?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good job on drinking iced tea, I do the same thing if I am in an establishment which serves booze. The panic attacks and anxiety lessened over time for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ghosts31

I have been trying to stay sea from such places where I could put myself in a situation to drink and definitely learned yesterday I am not ready to be in them yet... Ready for Day 28 today. Hoping a minor league baseball game with two kids will be a bit easier!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my state they actually serve beer at the concessions during T-Ball games!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ghosts31

Bookmaven ... Thank goodness in my state that is not an option ��