Notices

Hi all =]

Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all =]

So... I'm new here. Stating the obvious lol. And new to recovery (AlAnon). And heck new to message boards in general. I found this site through a random Google search for something along the lines of "Relationships with alcoholics", then proceeded to stick around for a few days and read some of the gut-wrenching and hilarious ESH from you all.
A little about me: I'm in a long term live in relationship with my boyfriend of four years, who I just came to terms with acknowledging is an alcoholic about a month ago. I'm also a therapist, which makes my story all the more ironic that I know the symptoms and behaviors of addicts and codependents from the inside of my DSM, just not from within my own two eyeballs. Oh denial, what a concept! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Once I realized the drinking wasn't really about "having a bad day at work" or "my back hurts" or "I need my boy time", I googled an AlAnon group near me (I do a lot of googling if you can't tell) and my life has literally been given back to me. I've been making small improvements every day within myself, reading every day, and praying/meditating- which is just way beyond my norm of believing in "science", "evidence based practices", "diagnosing", and basically over complicating what was an over-abundant truth in my life: that I had allowed an alcoholic to steal my joy, serenity, passions, and, in dire times, my will to live.
As I was addicted to my alcoholic, I'm now becoming addicted to my program. I've connected with a sponsor and I'm attending meetings. I'm learning how to speak up, when to shut up, how to take my eyes off my alcoholic, to keep things simple, to love myself first, and to pray/meditate every. Damn. Day.
Hope to learn more from you all and to be of help where I can =]
With gratitude
-Nikki 🌻
Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Wow Good 4 You VegNikki !! That's the way to get strong Heck Ya , always think of yourself as #1 always . Glad your joining SR - Welcome. With that wonderful post of over coming dealing with you AH . You will give so much to others fighting for help .. Thank You
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We also have friends and family forums for those like you who love someone with an alcohol or drug problem.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Nikki. Sounds like you're doing everything possible to make things better.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Welcome to Sober Recovery, Nikki. This is a great resource! Glad to hear Al Anon is helping you.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nikki

D
Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome VegNikki
Old 08-04-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nikki!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Nikki!
Having been in relationships with alcoholics in the past as well as being one myself, I've been on both sides.. Even attended Alanon for a short while. It's great to see someone find it and embrace it with such an inspiring and positinve attitude!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the welcomes! Like I mentioned, I'm new to this whole forum scenario so I didn't even know anyone had read/responded to my post You all are awesome and I love reading the differences between experiences, perceptions, and ideas on what recovery means for us. Also equally amazing are the similarities
I'm going to keep lurking (lol) and reading and spreading the love I've received.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you found us VegNikki