My progress......

Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My progress......

Hello everyone!
I just wanted to give a mini update (condensed version) regarding my husband’s promotion. Well, turns out he did not get the promotion. Sources from within said the position was already filled when my husband interviewed; however, when he did interview he hit a grand slam! They loved him and his attitude. Many remarks were made that they (the executive committee) did not realize the amount of work he did, etc. Even the owner of the company sent him a private email with thanks and gratitude. It was quite the morale booster for him. The director he had prior to this loved him as a son but he was not liked by the executive committee and unfortunately, for my husband, he was shunned by them because of his association with his director. But what are you to do when he is your boss right. IMO it is just bad business BUT we did get some good news out of it all. My husband stayed positive thru the transition and was rewarded with a 10 % increase with room to grow! His new director is female, she has years of experience and he could learn a lot from her.

So – now that the raise is here he wants a car. Okay, he needs one for sure but I thought we could try and save some of this money. I gave it some thought. It really gives me heartburn to know we would have a car note. We have not had car notes in years. He wants to wait and see how much he clears before he makes his decision, etc. I think that is a good choice on his part then we can figure out a budget. It dawned on me that I am in “control” of the checking account. It is a joint account and I pay all the bills, etc. Before I moved here he had his own account and was responsible to pay his truck note, cell phone bill and car insurance – on his own. So……I proposed that he open an account for himself. Each week when he is paid he take the “extra” money from his raise and move it to his account, this way “we” won’t be tempted to spend it. He can then use that account to pay his car note. Impact from our joint account is minimal since we are already living off of his current weekly pay and my bi-weekly pay. . Honestly, I can have a choke hold on the money – I spend it freely then turn around and dictate what he can spend – time to put a stop to that behavior! Time to let him be responsible for his spending, and this is a good start.

Our two girls are thriving and having one of the best summers ever. My oldest DD (14) will be accompanying me to surprise my dad for his 80th birthday this month. She is thrilled! We have been working really hard with communicating with each other, especially our teen. Instead of feeding off of the negativity we step away from the situation. So if I am about to go off the deep end then my husband will tell me to step away and he will defuse the fire and vice versa.

Our youngest DD (9) has made a complete turnaround from last summer. Since her stomach issues were corrected and her diet is changed she is a different child! She is WIDE open this summer. Ridding roller coasters, big ones I might add, showing no fear at all! She just loves life, as it should be!
My husband and I are still taking a night a month for “date night”. In fact we just had one this Friday. It is so nice to be able to sit back without the kids and enjoy each other’s company; to have an adult conversation.

I guess I should touch on the drinking. To be honest the last time I really paid any attention to this was when I found it in the back of our cabinet, which has been a minute. In fact, I never said a word about it. I left it exposed and a month or so later when I was cleaning out the cabinet it was gone. That was that. I am no longer minding his business about this. I have detached from it as it is not my responsibility to worry about his drinking. I have noticed this past month that he has water instead of beer in the evenings. He doesn’t smell of alcohol any longer AND he has started a workout routine. I have not said one word about it – no congratulations, nothing. He does not need my approval or permission to “fix” himself.

Not sure how some will read this post – to me I have made some serious progress. Just living life One Day at a Time!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!
- Have a Blessed Day!!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like some good progress to me!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks LemonGirl!!!