Dinner with a neighbor tonight

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dinner with a neighbor tonight

Had my lovely neighbor and her son over tonight-they have become great friends. We haven't spoken about my ex at all other than she knows he's not here and had heard from anotger neighbor it was due to drinking. She asked me if she could share something with me-I said sure (as nothing surprises me anymore and it no longer hurts to hear what he's doing bc I don't own it)....she shared that a few weeks ago she and her husband and son were out walking at dusk and my exs car whipped around the corner of our street and almost hit her (she's 6 months pregnant). She said she and her husband could smell the alcohol out of the car-windows were rolled down. Y'all-he's going to kill someone. Seriously. I asked her to pray for him-and told her I was glad she was safe. She told me that it was quite obvious I made the right decision for me and our girls. I agreed.
I know I don't own his decisions, etc BUT it surely is hard to hear things like this-it doesbt make me upset or angry (I would tell y'all)...it's just so sad to see the choices he's made. It made me realize all the more how glad I am that he is gone-bc that's how he's been for years and years!
Happiness is knowing hes not my responsibility-and having all this time with our girls. Priceless. I will sleep okay tonight because it's not MY problem. I get it, I get it.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad to read you are doing better.....
Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am thank you!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I endured a lot of crap over the years from my spouse, but the drinking and driving was where I drew the line. I still think she is going to kill herself or someone else someday, but I had to realize that I can't really prevent it.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should be happy its only drinking and driving. My xah dozes off when he is driving. We had to take ds21 to college yesterday, 6 hour drive each way. On the way home about a dozen times the first hour, he dozes off. I no longer scream to wake up, I let him hit the bumps on the side of the road and he wakes up. I asked and asked him to let me drive. After 5 1/2 hours of driving he finally pulled over at an oasis and let me drive the 1/2 hour home.

I told him I am just waiting to get the phone call one day. He didn't drink and wasn't tired. Just nods off at the wheel. Wonderful? huh. The tragedy is besides him killing himself, who else he would injure. He is not my responsibility anymore and I give him to God. I am grateful my daughter and I made it safely.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've said before, I knew the wheels were going to fall off-I'm just glad my kids are not in the crosshairs any more. I do pray he can pull himself together and get healthy for his kids one day but I also am aware God is a good God and if he doesbt wabt that for them, then He will not open that door. He's kept us safe and I pray each night before I go to bed for us and to keep my ex safe, and anyone in his path. If you've ever seen the movie "flight", that is my ex in a nutshell. Tormented with so many demons and as stated by him, can't stand his own self most of the time...prob why he self medicates. I do so pray nobody gets injured or worse bc of his choices. My neighbor was terrified...and appalled.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am grateful y'all made it too-how scary!! ^^
Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I know it's not under your control, but it's scary to think of him driving around endangering others. Let's hope he only risks himself.

I wish the neighbour's husband had looked him up and told him about the near miss. Probably wouldn't help but sometime you'd like them to get some honest feedback.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^ it wouldn't have helped. He's hell bent to do whatever he wants to do. Addiction is fully in charge, as usual.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
^^ it wouldn't have helped. He's hell bent to do whatever he wants to do. Addiction is fully in charge, as usual.
And yet he'll be incredibly remorseful if he kills someone, they always are. But not enough to prevent it happening.