Notices

Looking Back

Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking Back

I'm only 13 days sober this go round, I've never made it past 5 weeks in the past but in previous attempts I have held onto hope that I could begin moderating after a break. I now know this is not true for me. I am building my plan each day to live the rest of my life free of alcohol.
I am hesitant to celebrate too much too soon. I decided to wait until 6 weeks to start a blog, but I want to create a thread for myself to look at in trying times. I simply want to list some of the terrible things I've done to myself while drunk, lest I forget the toll of that first drink. I hope this isn't inappropriate to share.
Just a few perhaps, ones that I still feel or see the effects of every day.

Badly broken collar bone during drunken "kung fu" match, required surgery and a titanium plate.

Black eye, mild concussion and bruise the size of a dinner plate on my hip crashing my road bicycle. Still have a hematoma there two years later.

Separated shoulder crashing my road bike- now I can't lie on either side for more than 5 minute before the pain nags me.

Scars from colliding with rusty nails, tattoos self administered with a razor and India ink, brown spots on my face, permanently broken friendships, wasted money, so much money.

I used to ride my motorcycle drunk.
I got pulled over for speeding in my car once with a coffee cup full of beer in the cupholder and an open tin of altoids in my lap. I didn't even get a speeding warning, I'm just a sweet country girl, right? I kept drinking behind the wheel for 3 months.
I can't believe I'm alive and free.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's incredible, isn't it? I've often thought if there are such things as guardian angels my one must be shaking his or her head in a panic asking "God, what's she going to do next?!" You're obviously here for a reason :-)

Great idea to start a thread, Upwards. Look forward to popping in and seeing how you are going :-)
Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 13 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through, you can do this!!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

13 days is a awesome milestone
Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Very nice job with 13 days !! That's a great idea to log or post your reasons . There is another place you can besides your blog scroll down to forum jump , look for " Where were you" you can have that too to look back on
Gives you kind of strength to keep going , when your AV starts asking questions . Op this little superman should be going forward LOL
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Nest was empty, and thanks everyone for so much support and sharing.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Need to be looking forward

It was good to rehash some painful memories brought by alcohol. They visit me while I'm trying to sleep, I see them every where I go in this little town. The drink has been a companion in most of my memories of the last 10 years, and there was a time when I made some really beautiful memories with it by my side in a much more subdued role. Now, however, I question all those moments. Was I already dependent then? Would I have done half those things had I not had my security blanket by my side?
Well it doesn't matter now, because it will no longer be a factor in anything I do. I see the merit in other people here opining that it is unproductive to relive the drunk memories, the failures; and rather one should live in the hopeful present and future.
I don't have a clue what's next in my life as a whole, but I want to work on my sobriety plan every day. If I keep letting the drink derail my journey of self discovery I will never move forward, and that simply will not do.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Becoming accountable to myself and others by posting honestly on these forums about the highs and lows of my life (past and present) has been a cornerstone of my recovery so far. Wishing you the best today, Upwardspiral. Congrats on 13 days! (By the way, it's not "only" 13 days. One day sober is a great job for addicts like us.)
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 13 days upwards pirate

The bad memories always overwhelm the good ones in the end don't they