Notices

Escaping the trap of Alcohol

Old 07-31-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Escaping the trap of Alcohol

Alcohol is a TRAP. Plain and simple.

Over the past month plus, my job responsibilities have increased greatly, bringing a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety with it. My (broken) coping mechanism was to drink each night until bed time, then effectively "pass out" into a heavy sleep.

Well guess what? As my alcohol intake increased, my ability to deal with job and family responsibilities decreased. This is the TRAP. Alcohol works at first, but then you need more and more and more to get the effect. I felt like I was stuck in a never-ending cycle of waking up hungover and anxious and "toughing it out" until I could drink in the afternoon.

It finally came to a head last night, when after drinking about half as much as I had been, I started to get sick. My body said "no thanks buddy" and I vomited multiple times. This actually happened once last week, but was more mild. I had some withdrawal symptoms last night.

I feel like I have one leg out of the trap and I'm on my way out. This will be my first sober day in a long while.

Anyone else feel like they are or were trapped?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post

Over the past month plus, my job responsibilities have increased greatly, bringing a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety with it. My (broken) coping mechanism was to drink each night until bed time, then effectively "pass out" into a heavy sleep.

Well guess what? As my alcohol intake increased, my ability to deal with job and family responsibilities decreased. This is the TRAP. Alcohol works at first, but then you need more and more and more to get the effect. I felt like I was stuck in a never-ending cycle of waking up hungover and anxious and "toughing it out" until I could drink in the afternoon.

It finally came to a head last night, when after drinking about half as much as I had been, I started to get sick. My body said "no thanks buddy" and I vomited multiple times. This actually happened once last week, but was more mild. I had some withdrawal symptoms last night.

I feel like I have one leg out of the trap and I'm on my way out. This will be my first sober day in a long while.

Glad you're here with us - some good analogies and I agree, mostly.

Over time, I actually discovered it took very little alcohol to get drunk. The effects were felt very quickly...... Tolerance for a while then it gets worse because that changes.

I said I agree mostly because as I have gained some sober time and look back, alcohol NEVER worked. I only thought it did. My perceptions of those "thruths" have changed markedly.

Thanks for the post - recognizing the progressive nature and understanding alcohol is not a solution to anything is the begining of acceptance I belive. Good for you!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey FacingFuture,
Awesome job on the first sober day and finding some joy in having a leg out.

Its strange - i'll be anxious now and even the first sip of beer or shot of booze will calm my nerves. Of course I don't stop there but it "helps". That's what scares me...

Its like I'm so nervous but here comes to booze to help me along my way. <3 *gag*

I just started here yesterday and already feel the support. I'm sure a lot of folks here will be willing to help you with that other leg!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I absolutely felt trapped. In a sense I was literally trapped at the end because I needed to drink to stave off withdrawals. There was no "good" feelings with my drinking anymore, in fact dreaded it but did it anyway.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Fly & Scott
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi FacingFuture!! Good for you for Day 1.

Yes, I agree, alcohol sweet talks us into believing that it helps us to cope and then traps us in an endless loop of feeling bad, drinking to cope, feeling bad because of the drink, drinking to cope and round and round we go, when we stop, well, that is up to us.

Stay close to SR, everyone here understands exactly where you are. Lots of support and information to help you on your sober journey!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may want to consider seeing a physician soon. The overwhelming majority of us aren't propelled into sobriety by sudden bouts of "revolt vomiting". The most common diagnosis I've heard of for the symptom you shared is pancreatitis - but I'm no doctor- I just see a red flag.

Sobriety is a great goal no matter how it begins, but my suggestion would be to get a physical first. Many of us followed that advice when we began sobriety. For me, it was also a matter of 'getting honest' with my doc because I needed him not to prescribe Valium for *any* reason I might dream up. Valium was the 'helper' when what I needed to do couldn't be done drunk - grocery shopping, work, etc. (And, yes, I abused them as well: "Alcohol intensifies effect" was always an irresistible invitation.) The physical was also a starting point for seeing 'what condition my condition was in' with regard to liver enzymes. Much of what we do to our bodies in alcoholism can be treatable/reversible.

If you are considering AA, the physical was my first steps in 'facing life on life's terms' and 'rigorous honesty'. An odd relief.

Hoping you will take care,

PJ
dos 8/98

P.S. The greatest trap of alcoholism I had was: Denial.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

FacingFuture , That's what I was doing towards the end . Even a half of beer would come up I had a throat scan , my esophagus lining had become thin from the acid in alcohol . I wish you will take mine & others advice & see a Dr ASP ... You need to make a plan & follow through . It won't get better only worse if you keep drinking ...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I never understood the trap until I was out of it.

Good job for spotting it! Hang in there!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Like Scott said, I drank to stave off withdrawal. I always had alcohol in my system and that's no way to live. Now that I'm sober I see how badly I was trapped and am glad I'm out now.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just joined and after day 3 of not drinking. Have not tried to not drink everyday in 4-5 years. Am having a bit of a groggy day and I have that nagging thought, well, maybe I should.... Ugh, what to do?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!
Originally Posted by Janice74 View Post
Ugh, what to do?
Start your own thread so you can get a proper welcome and tons of support and feedback.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The cycle of drinking, hangover, withdrawals, drinking, hangover, withdrawals, can seem like there is no way out, I went round in circles for a long time and my life had become soo consumed with alcohol that that's all I thought about each day, do I have enough at home? where am I buying this evening? when am I quitting?

I always had good intentions each morning to quit, but by the evening i was stopping off at the liquor store.

The key for me was to get away from our default routine, don't give alcohol the chance to dictate anything anymore, I needed to get proactive, formulate a plan and execute that plan, break that cycle, those routines, free myself from that trap!!

It can be done!!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I absolutely felt trapped. In a sense I was literally trapped at the end because I needed to drink to stave off withdrawals. There was no "good" feelings with my drinking anymore, in fact dreaded it but did it anyway.
I dreaded it but did it anyway. Sounds all to familiar.