Notices

I am craving it..

Old 07-31-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down I am craving it..

Hi everyone,

Its day 6 for me.
I just finished having lunch with a girlfriend of mine.. a place where I would usually have a glass of wine.. I am feeling this strong urge to drink because I feel like it will take away all of the pain and thoughts I have about facing my problems sober if that makes any sense..
I DO know that it has only made them worse which is allowing me to stay focused and strong... but its scary I have never felt this way before..
She invited me to her place this evening where a few friends will be gathering to have drinks and she said she was resistant on asking but wanted to let me know.. I am not going becuase I just can't but I have this urg inside of me that is like go Have on drink youll be fin..

No YOU WONT BE.. Does anyone else experience this battle within themselveS? And am I doing all that I can by not going? I also went to visit my mentor at work but he was on lunch break... he is actually a family member and has been helping me thorugh this as he has gone through the smae thing but has 28 years under his belt!

I am feeling so vulnerable right now!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mary you did great resisting the wine at lunch and you are very smart to turn down the invitation for tonight. It is scary how strong the urges are, isn't it? But you have got SIX DAYS down! Six days is amazing and such a great start, do not throw that away for one stupid craving.

What are you doing now? How can you distract yourself? Wait, first, start timing yourself. This will give you a weapon in the future. If, for example, you find that your cravings generally last 12-17 minutes you can start timing from the beginning of one and know that you only have so long that you have to wait it out.

For now, do something else. Go for a quick walk. If you are at a place you can't leave at least take a break to get some water. Take some deep breaths. This is going to pass and you are going to feel a lot better when you make it through today without drinking.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How are you doing Mary? I'm thinking of you.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Mary,

Yes - when I quit drinking a few months ago - it only lasted less than a week I had gone out to dinner with my parents. They got beers and were surprised that I didn't get one. It was VERY HARD to not even get one but when I got home - I felt like I really accomplished something amazing!

You are doing awesome.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI Mary, you're not alone. And I think declining the invitation is a smart move. You will have to be selfish for awhile. And that will mean possibly offending people by not attending events, or turning down invitations. You wound very aware of the situation and that is a big advantage. Best wishes.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
How are you doing Mary? I'm thinking of you.
Im doing okay! i went to a meeting last night which REALLY helped it was only my second AA meeting but I was fighting with myself again yesterday and hat actually helped so much.

I am proud of myself for sure! But I have to admit I am just exhausted!
Physically and mentally!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

6 days is a great start! It was easier for me to go out and be around people without drinking than it was/is to be home alone. There's some accountability in enjoying friends and family with only a soft drink in hand. Maybe that would work for you? I agree with others...stay where it's safest for you. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great Mary it will get easier
Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Happy for you mary , Next time maybe you should go to a different place to eat , until you feel stronger to fight that AV 6 days is great , but not really enough time to place yourself in a known Trigger
Keep ahead of them triggers , You'll do fine
Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thoughts are simply that Mary, there's no harm in having them if we don't follow through on them with actions, so don't beat yourself up too much.

Mere thoughts don't cause hangovers in the morning!!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're feeling a little better mary

D