Notices

Advice for my first weekend sober??

Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for my first weekend sober??

My friends are coming home from away and we have been planning a camping trip for a while..

I really want to go as I love camping and I haven't seen these friends in a year.. Although I am nervous as they will be drinking! They don't drink excessively i"m just nervous of being around it.

I have confessed my new lease on sobriety and finally admitted to them that I have a problem, which I am also positive they saw from the beginning! They have been extremely supportive and have offered to be there to support me through all of this..which feels amazing... true friends are hard to find!!

I really and truly do not want to have a slip up, and I do NOT want to consume any at all!!

Its just a scary situation for me I suppose to have to be as just me. without the booze... which trust me is way more awesome.

But does anyone have any advice or little tricks to get through your first sober weekend?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you want to be sober more than you want to drink, you'll be alright.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is your first weekend sober, so you will be feeling very antsy and be very vulnerable to having, just one. Just a little one. Then it won't be your first weekend sober anymore. I've got to admit I'm concerned. Do you have just one friend who could remain sober with you? A sober buddy. As the evening wears on, you may get bored whilst your friends are drinking, and you'll need an out. Make sure to take a device to check in here on. Make sure to check in, take time out when/if you feel awkard. Take a kindle and read a book (there are thousands) about being sober, do it alone in your tent for a bit. Good luck, this is a big ask of yourself, doesn't mean you can't do it, just be prepared, and be strong! Xxxx
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Totally agree. Im early into recovery and my husband said that he wouldnt have any alcohol in the house... I said to him actually I find that insulting... its not you that has a problem with alcohol its me. I have sat here with him sipping a beer by myside and it has not bothered me. Its not like im gonna leap up and say give it to me now! My choice is NOT to drink and im sticking with it. I want to be sober more than I want to drink. Keep that in your mindset x x
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it! And when you do your'll feel so damn proud of yourself... pride has to be a better feeling than remorse right?!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It sounds as though your friends won't be "in your face" drinking which is a good thing but seeing people drink 'normally' or 'sensibly' can also be tough on us problem drinkers as we think 'why not me'

You should be OK - make sure you have a nice non alcoholic drink available when they drink and as others have said try to have a kindle or something as a get out (and post here if possible )

Good luck
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.

"But does anyone have any advice or little tricks to get through your first sober weekend?"

Hi.
I’d suggest to have a way out of slippery situations like a car or someone to drive you away.
Try to keep it simple and just don’t drink even if you’re a$$ falls off.

BE WELL
Old 07-28-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Some one has said to me before that chcolate or fruit can help with the sugar cravings as alcohol has a load of sugar in it and you will miss the sugar

Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You've gotten some good advice. Above all else, have a plan and stick with it. Can you leave if the going gets tough, cause it probably will. Sounds like you have great friends. I'm sure they would understand if you need to cut out early. John Have fun.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a suggestion: make sure your friends realize that no means no. And that doesn't have to be in a rude, bitchy way.
I say this because I feel like sometimes others do not really, truly understand that you can't have even 1/2 a beer. They think you're now able to control it and drink like them.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

blueberry , You have a lot of good comments hear already , maybe bring cards or even games . Horse shoe . For sure snacks , if your munching you wont' feel like drinking ( at least I did'nt )
If you start to get overwhelmed just tell them , and go to your tent . Oh bring a notebook incase you want to write to keep busy . Hope you have fun
Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get wanting to go camping and be with friends - but on your first weekend sober, with drinking friends - that's a really hard ask of anyone.

I'd think about it very carefully before I went Mary.

I'm not saying you need to stay at home and be a hermit either - there must be a multitude of things you could do this weekend that won't put you in temptations way, or leave you feeling miserable and left out as people are drinking all around you?.

D
Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Mary, I don't know how long you have been sober, but if it has not been long, I concur with Dee. I understand it being very difficult as you love to camp and these are friends that you have not seen in a year. By your own admission you are worried and nervous about the situation. Strictly speaking for myself, I wouldn't go, I'd take a rain check until next year or 6 months or something. If you do go, I like the idea of having an "out". Meaning you can remove yourself from the situation somehow. Best wishes.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Always be ready to take a little walk out and away if needed. One of the best tools that I finally found.

Wish I would have used it at a wedding reception years ago. Had not a clue that if feeling a little tight -- just walk out and away. No one misses me and I have some time to get my good moral thoughts together.

Mountainman
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
This is very true. I didn't know what it meant until I actually wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.

I'll keep this simple: soda, candy, and lots of good food.

Soda is good because a) It's cold b) it's sugary c) it's fizzy d)it's something in your hand to sip. Drinking soda for me was kind of like wearing the patch for drinking.

Candy was my go-to when the cravings were so real, I felt like I could have reached out and touched it. Wolfing down a king size candy bar would immediately cut the craving by 85% I swear. It was an immediate BAM, feel better.

I didn't worry about the calories because I was still consuming less than the alcohol calories, which for me was about 1,500-1,800 a day.

After a month or two I didn't even want candy anymore and my alcohol cravings were considerably less than in the beginning.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone who suggested sweets. Every craving I had in early sobriety was annihilated by a bowl of ice with chocolate chip cookies.

Try to focus on all of the amazing elements of camping (y'know, the ones that most people can't appreciate while drinking)--the smell of the campfire, the scenery, an opportunity to disconnect from the busyness of home life.

Think of all of us, pulling for you, throughout the weekend! Looking forward to your update after the trip!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

True for me while in treatment many years ago. They supplied us with candy and plenty of ice cream. Plus we even bought more at the hospital store.
Mountainman
Old 07-30-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You guys all have wonderful advice...
We are suppose to leave tomorrow but I will be honest im extremely nervous and afraid..
I DONT want to drink but how hard is it going to be to be around people who are drinking.. This is a real big decision that I myself have to make.. I've just heard how hard it is and how hateful it can be..
Im trying to think positive but im also trying to look at the reality of the issue.. it may be too soon for me to venture out YIKES ;S
Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by mary2788 View Post
... it may be too soon for me to venture out YIKES
Sounds like you are well aware of the risks. Early recovery shouldn't be about testing the strength of our resolve, it should be doing everything we can to strengthen it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah thats true.. It is an extremely risky situation and for far too long I have been playing with fire...