Notices

Relationship issues

Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationship issues

I've said it before and will say it again, I think my boyfriend is the most wonderful person I have ever known. He is smart, funny, kind, loving, he never hesitates to admit when he is wrong or apologize, he is healthy, in shape, he drinks as a typical Italian but in a healthy way, one glass of wine with lunch, one glass at dinner, he cares for me and is respectful, he is good to my children and loves them… he is amazing.
He has only one fault, ok two. His table manners are atrocious, but we've agreed to get beyond that. But more importantly he simply does not care that I am an alcoholic. This is proving to be very difficult for me. My psychologist says I am looking for a father figure, but I disagree. I just want him to be with me on this journey.
He has always said "I love you, I love you completely. I know you have a problem but I love you no matter what" I wish he would CARE more. That he would see what I am doing to myself and say "I love you and I cannot stand by and watch you hurt yourself like this" A shake me by the shoulders kind of deal. But no, he simply doesn't care. If he comes to my house and I am drunk he leaves saying "you are drunk, I don't want to be around you" but the next day he sends me messages or calls "my love, I hope you are feeling ok, I can't wait to see you"
I have tried talking to him about his but he just doesn't get it or want to hear about it.
Today I had an appointment with the doctor at the rehab center (the one he told me not to go to) after having gone yesterday for a meeting with the addiction psychologist. I went to his house for lunch and he asked me how it went. He then said "you must want a drink, do you want wine or beer?"
I almost feel as if I would be better off getting clean on my own. I love him, dearly. He is amazing. But this is a very big deal and I don't know how to handle it.
We never fight, never. He is as good as gold, I would be horrified to lose him and his support in so many other areas of my life. But his lack of support for my sobriety is crushing. I remember I got to 46 days once, I was celebrating inside and he really could have cared less. I sort of feel like I need support or I need to be alone. It is heartbreaking to think of leaving someone so amazing who treats me so well in all other areas though.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's very difficult for others to understand addiction Mera. And it's really not possible for anyone else to "care" you to sobriety....you need to do that for yourself. Perhaps you need to expand your support to include some face to face local support? Being around other people in person who understand what you are going through can be key...and unfortunaely our spouses/significant others may never truly understand, even though they do care very much for us.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's very difficult for others to understand addiction Mera. And it's really not possible for anyone else to "care" you to sobriety....you need to do that for yourself. Perhaps you need to expand your support to include some face to face local support? Being around other people in person who understand what you are going through can be key...and unfortunaely our spouses/significant others may never truly understand, even though they do care very much for us.
Thank you Scott. Tonight I will go to the local AA meeting to seek support. Unfortunately where I am there is only one meeting a week, at a difficult time, but right now my children are away on holiday with their father. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with my participation, but I will go tonight. The meetings are Tusdays at 21:30. I will try.

That said, I do wish the person closest to me could try and understand. As my psychologist said though, I have to accept he is acting as an adult. My problems are mine and mine alone.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

love is blind.

My wife is overweight and will say i dunno how you could possibly love me when i look like this etc.. and the thing is I dont see it not like she does anyhow. Shes a lot more critical of herself then anyone else. we can be our own worst enemies. Sometimes we need to be more compassionate with ourselves. I love my wife however she is at any given time its irrelevant to me if shes fat thin ugly etc... i love her for everything that she is. her pefect imperfections and all etc..

But what gets me is this statement.

If he comes to my house and I am drunk he leaves saying "you are drunk, I don't want to be around you"
Maybe your just really unenjoyable to be around and he doesnt want to condone your behaivior or validate it by being around you when your in this condition. Maybe this is his tough love approach etc. or he's doing it for his and your own good.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, I understand that it would be nice to have your boyfriend support your efforts. But, it's not essential. You have his unconditional love, so use that love to do this for yourself.

I found out early on that my husband had no interest in my addiction, in why it happened or how to help. He simply wanted me to get better. To him, this was all about me, my problem and I needed to fix it. Over all these years, we have very rarely talked about it. So, it's become a very personal journey for me and I'm happy about that.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I know what you're getting at Mera. You wish he would beg you to quit, see it for the dire situation it really is. I've run into this myself and is definitely frustrating. It may be denial on their part, it may be they don't know the whole story about your drinking - how much, how it makes you feel, stupid things you do, etc.

One thing is clear, many non-alcoholics just don't understand. I've tried explaining it to them, and they just look at me with this confused look on their face and get uncomfortable. I think it's why it's important to seek out and talk to other alcoholics who do understand.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Would you feel better if your boyfriend micromanaged your efforts? That he tsked tsked you and chided you when you have been drinking?

I think he's giving you support though you cannot see it. He's setting healthy boundaries for himself. If he sees You've been drinking, he leaves but checks in with you the next day. He reassures you that he loves you. He shows caring and warmth.

Our journey is our own. He can't get you to where you want to go. He's telling you that he loves you no matter what and is seeming to give you the space to do so.

I tried managing my husband's efforts or lack thereof to get sober. It doesn't work. And I'm an alcoholic and should understand better what he's going through. Your boyfriend is seemingly a normal drinker. Most normal drinkers have no idea what it's like.

What specific things do you want him to do for you? You could ask if he is willing to do those things but don't be surprised if he doesn't. He cannot be more invested in your sobriety than you are.

I'm glad you have face to face support, even if it's once a week. If there are other women there, try to get their numbers.

Be well.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand what you want from him but it doesn't work that way. This IS your problem and IS your journey and he doesn't have to be a part of it. It sounds to me like he's treating you like an adult.

I highly recommend seeking out other alcoholics that understand and can support you and give you the validation you seek.

What concerned me about your post is that he offered you a drink. He will have to understand that he can't do that to you. He doesn't have to truly understand addiction or the "why" but he does have to understand he just can't do that to you.

If you were a vegetarian and he made you steak for dinner it would be beyond insensitive and rude. Offering you a drink is the same thing.

However, you have to make sure you've been clear with him on it. No alcohol, ever. Which means YOU have to be committed to it as well. You can't expect him to read your mind. I've quit on Tuesday but I'm drunk on Thursday. Flip flopping will confuse anyone AND cause them not to take you seriously.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
But his lack of support for my sobriety is crushing.
You clearly have expectations of support of a certain kind from your boyfriend. What would have liked his response to have been at the 46 day mark?

And was it his lack of support that really derailed your sobriety? Or was it your resentment over unmet expectations?

He can't be a mind reader on this. You say you have communicated your desire for more support. If you have clearly defined what you mean by support, meaning, "I want you to _____________," then I really don't know what to offer, except This is who he is. Accept him as unconditionally as he's apparently accepting you.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you so much to everyone who replied. I needed to hear that. Heis amazing and I need to learn to accept the support he does give me. I will continue to seek out support from others like me.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
He cannot be more invested in your sobriety than you are.
I loved what Ruby said, because in reality, this is your journey
If I was in his shoes, and loved the person with all my heart and soul, it would upset me, and I would not know what to do. He may just not know what to do but love you. Is that not enough?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Merv,

I've somewhat been though this myself, and unfortunately for us, that's just not the way it goes down. You need to do this for yourself, and nobody else.

This reminds me of when I was living in Malta (just south of Italy). I hated Budapest, but decided to be as close as I could to my husband, so moved myself to Malta. I flew us back and forth when needed.

I remember the one time, I was hurting pretty bad, and intentionally left the apartment in a state of disarray just when he returned to Malta. Beer cans literally every where. I guess it was my way of saying, "I'm in pain, please help". Didn't work though. There were also times I was contemplating telling him to stop talking to me if I drank, etc.

For us, alcoholism is our own internal struggle that we must face ourselves. Nobody can help us, and it's up to us to buck up and face the music. There will definitely be people there to support you, but it's up to us to change ourselves.

Regardless of what you do, please take care of yourself!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so afraid. I've been drinking. Will they take me in at AA or will I be offensive?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All depends. Do you act like an idiot when you're drunk, or are you fairly cordial?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm ok, Not sober, but ok.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I want help though. I give up. I cannot do this alone.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Mera,

When I decided I had to stop drinking, I did not lay any expectations at my husband's feet. Except, unavoidably, abstinence and recovery work demanded a lot from everyone in my life. It was my decision and he was along for the ride. With every new feeling, emotion, moment of clarity, I had an urge to 'do' something about it. Change something to make it feel better? What I really needed to do was hang in there and ride through the emotions.

What you are seeing and feeling today may very well be different tomorrow. When we are in a relationship, the other has to 'ride it out' and adjust along with us. Even though drinking and cessation were our choices, it has an impact on everyone around us. After 15 months without alcohol I can see clearly how this is asking a lot of another person.

We need to be gentle and patient with those who are adjusting in our lives as well as ourselves. Like others said, today you want more push but tomorrow you may want everyone to get off your back. If you accept this ebb and flow for yourself it may make the variety of emotions you feel towards your BF a bit easier to accept. Oh, the moodiness!

I promise you that I am happy that I did not act out the many impulses of early sobriety. And I am equally happy that my SO stuck all this time out with me. The ups and downs, ebbs and flows did even out, precisely because I was sober and finally able to learn something from myself.

Hang in there. Try not to be afraid of the things that are not yet here. It may feel difficult but the reward for doing so is spectacular.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you act like a decent human, although maybe a bit off, I'm sure the AA group will be happy to have you. Just head over to the AA meeting, and don't worry, you'll be fine.

And yeah, I'm same boat as you. Can't do this alone either.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm literally on my knees. I am begging for help.