Notices

Guess i just need to get advice

Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guess i just need to get advice

Ok i post here on occassion. My last post i was drunk and to humiliated to view it. I almost was never honnacome back here. Them i realized u all understand. Anyway was at rehab yhen got job offer and left after 2 days. I have since called into work 3x. Should i just do the rehab fully and give up an awesome job.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long do you think you'll keep the awesome job if you DON'T do rehab??

From what I remember, you were entering into rehab because you needed it. If you needed it then, you'll still need it now.

How long is the rehab? Most jobs expect that you'll have to work notice or something elsewhere before starting. Can't you explain that you DO want the job, but due to unforeseen personal circumstances you need to go away and won't be able to commence employment until XXX date?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
How long do you think you'll keep the awesome job if you DON'T do rehab??
This was my first thought too. My drinking did not effect my work for a long time until it did. I was tardy quite often and just going through the motions when I was there. If you've called in three times already, the ball is already rolling.

I'm sure Canada must have the same thing as the US for medical leave. I am no expert, but I believe that your employer must keep your job for one month if you enter treatment and they don't even have to know the exact reason. In fact, legally they cannot know the reason.

Would you commit to 30 meetings in 30 days after work and see what happens? Get a sponsor and the whole bit?

From my years of reading on here, I've read many, many stories of people who succeeded with daily meetings with the emphasis on the daily part. Some say they don't have the time go every day but in all fairness, they always found the time to drink every day. Why not commit to 30 in 30? You have nothing to lose and this would allow you to keep going to work.

However, I am always a proponent for rehab.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Chloe - I think the people here in this thread are talking sense.

If you don't do something - whether its rehab, AA or whatever else - you'll lose the job anyway...and noone wants to see that happen

D
Old 07-28-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my observations over the years we need to concentrate on the fact that we get sober for ourselves first. If successful many things we cherish or desire will happen. Continue drinking for any reason, we lose and the misery will resume and become worse.

We as people who can’t drink in safety usually know the right choices for sobriety but are swayed to the unhealthy thinking process so continue on the healthy path.

I didn’t know what I didn’t know until I got my education by way of lots of AA meetings.

BE WELL
Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I think you need to do whatever it takes to stay sober Chloe, or you will lose your job anyway. Sobriety has to be the priority, you can always get another job, but you cannot get another you.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you can make arrangements with your employer to keep the job.... Can you do rehab alongside it somehow? Can you take a leave?

Doesn't sound like you're going to have the job long anyway.... Get yourself firmly sober, whatever it takes.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rehab saved both my sisters lives & they both have fulfilling lives helping others doing fun sober activities like a group going to a restraunt cinema loads & loads of stuff

If it wasnt for rehab i fear they both would be dead by now
Old 07-28-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, chloebaby. Lot of wisdom in the advice above. Hope you'll put your recovery first today. Wishing you the best...
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Chloe, ditto on what many have said. You will lose the job anyway if you continue to drink. I can empathize. Jobs that we want don't come along every day. But it's better to try to request leave time, do rehab and then return if you can than to get fired.

I did rehab. It remains the single most important decision I've made regarding getting sober. Please consider returning.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chloe, I hope you make recovery your priority.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chloebaby View Post
Ok i post here on occassion. My last post i was drunk and to humiliated to view it. I almost was never honnacome back here. Them i realized u all understand. Anyway was at rehab yhen got job offer and left after 2 days. I have since called into work 3x. Should i just do the rehab fully and give up an awesome job.
Hi CB, are you currently drinking?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

MelindaFlowers said: You have nothing to lose. I agree with her. You've called in 3 times already, your job might be toast if you don't at least try and show you are being proactive in getting a grip on the alcohol. I wish you the very best in this situation. We spend so much of our lives at work, it would be a shame to lose the opportunity you have been given.