Notices

what now??

Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what now??

I've accepted I am an alcoholic and can never drink again. What do I do now? What kind of plan should I make? How do I ask for support from family and alcohol abuse programs? I guess I just feel lost, alone in the struggle and confused.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, kamm! I'm sure there will be others with more experience and knowledge soon, but what I can say is that you are definitely not alone! We are here and support your decision to never drink again. It is really the best choice for many of us.

Be well,

Delfin
Old 07-27-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've taken an important step, Kamm. I don't think one is likely to make a commitment to sobriety until he or she finally accepts the need to quit entirely. I can speak only for myself but AVRT was the tool I needed. Just Google for it (not allowed to link it directly). It and SR have worked for me for almost three years now.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kamm - there's so really good ideas on recovery plans and where to go from here in this link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

basically find the kind of support you need and use it...and make whatever changes you need to make to reflect your desire to stay sober

D
Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help and information. I am going to look in AVRT. I've been a pretty heavy drinker off and on for the last 10 years. I'm only 28 and want to live a long life and see my daughter grow and possibly have another child. I've tried to quit repeatedly but with not a lot of luck but this time is the one. I am done drinking. It really feels like this is my last chance so I refuse to fail. I'll be posting here regularly to help stay strong.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Kamm x speaking to your doctor maybe your first step. Im not sure where you are posting from in the world so its difficult to advise what external help is out there for you. Its worth a google x x x Good Luck on your journey x x x
Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great decision. For me I went to a doctor who specialized in addiction, started Intensive Outpatient Therapy and then AA 6 times a week
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I personally don’t like the word alcoholic but that’s what I am. I prefer to think on a daily basis I’m a person who cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

I’m grateful for a lot of years of sobriety due to many AA meetings for my education which continues to this day.

BE WELL
Old 07-28-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.

You don't need luck to embrace sobriety.

You need a choice, a commitment and the supportive changes and actions in your life to remain committed and continue deepening your life....

You've begun that process by taking the action of admitting, reaching out for help, starting to learn about what more you can do and what has worked for others.

Keep on down this path, and you'll find that a sober life is a blessed life.

#soberliferocks
Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hi kamm welcome , You can get a lot of information hear & ideas . That's the first step deciding you want to quit , get a plan started The more you read and ask question the more it will help !
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really nice to meet you Kamm
Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Kamm... happy to hear you are quitting!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome; keep reading and posting and you'll get the answers you're looking for!
AA works very well for me, but some people prefer other methods. Whatever works for you, you can have a life better than you can imagine.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back to SR, kamm, and congratulations on choosing a better way of life. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same board. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kamm. Like the others have said, congratulations on taking this first step. I wish I would have made that decision when I was 28.

Use any and all recovery programs that fit you. For me personally, this community has kept me sober for the past year; that's after 21+ years of heavy daily drinking. Stay active on SR, read old posts and post often yourself.

This is a tough fight, but one that you can accomplish. I promise you won't regret the decision to get and stay sober. Life is so much more rewarding without the alcohol cloud over us.

Great job on reaching out.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
You've taken an important step, Kamm. I don't think one is likely to make a commitment to sobriety until he or she finally accepts the need to quit entirely. I can speak only for myself but AVRT was the tool I needed. Just Google for it (not allowed to link it directly). It and SR have worked for me for almost three years now.
I just started with the Rational Recovery plan yesterday. It makes so much sense. I read the first 40 pages of the book last night.

The "crash course" on the website is a great start. I spent about 2 hours on that RR site yesterday and came away feeling very positive.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kamm, good to see you. I've been drinking for too many decades. I sure wish I had stopped when I was your age. Heck, I wish I had never even started!

Best wishes to you.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kamm, I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Kamm. Welcome to SR.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The warm welcomes make me feel like I'm not alone in this fight. I'm going to try and find an AA meeting to attend. I live in Korea and don't speak the language so it might be a challenge but I am up to it.
I told my husband about my decision and he doesn't really understand why I need to quit. I told him that I will end up killing myself with booze and I choose to live instead so he and I are a work in progress. I also told my mother and she laughed at me. It's frustrating that I am looked down upon because of my inability to control my alcohol intake but I am the only one in control of my life and will not waver in my decision. Thank you all for the support. I am on day 11.