Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Looking to network with people and get advice on an idea that I have been working on

Notices

Looking to network with people and get advice on an idea that I have been working on

Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Looking to network with people and get advice on an idea that I have been working on

Hi my name is Brandon Cuckler and I would like to start off by saying it would be an honor to get feedback from anyone in this online community. I have an idea and it is in the early stages of developement and I would love for people on here to be able to give me honest feedback and let me know what they think about my idea. Helping people has always been a passion of mine so being able to help in the addiction community would be amazing considering the struggles i have had with addiction. here is the link to my video it is an oversight of my idea
it is on youtube and called "pursuit of prevention."
thank you so much for watching! It means more to me than I can put into words, my goal is simply to help people threw personal experiance.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brandon - welcome

I'm sorry - I simply haven't the time to look at a 15 minute youttube video.

what exactly is your idea and how can we help?
D
Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Brandon
Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Brandon and welcome! Your enthusiasm is appealing. Like Dee said though, so many of us have limited time. It might help if you give us a little more information or background, at which point those who feel a connection will surely go and watch your video.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brandon,

Are you looking for help?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Brandon , I watched a good part of your video . I see it's more about Youth Addiction & for parents to find ways to help their children . Act on signs instead of over looking or thinking it will work it's self out .
Sounds like a great plan . I'm fairly new hear , but maybe others know were this subject matter would be of help . I wish you luck on your ideas
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your responses

First off thank you so much for your replies it really means a lot more than you probably know. My idea is to create a channel where people can come and get honest information from the people who have been threw addiction, to work towards addiction prevention. You know in New York they have signs plastered threw the subways about what to look for in opiate addiction because it is such a huge issue, and the govenour himself is actually trying to get this information to people threw a bill he is in acting. There are signs along freeways of 'ways to tell if someone you love is on drugs'. You see to me, as an addict, I thought this stuff was common knowledge and it simply is not, for example someone using opiates would have pin dotted eyes and blochy skin (this is just an example). The everday person does not know what we as addicts know about identiying early stages of addiction or even spotting a relapse. I want to consolidate all this information along with what I as an addict know and getting other addicts opinions an advice on the topic, and make the information extremely easy to access when they need it the most. Right now I am starting with youtube and want to make easy to watch and understand videos all with the same goal in mind... the prusuit of prevention. More than that though I want to be there for these people when they feel lost and need some honest advice on how to move forward after identifying the problem. I have received an email from a woman who told me about concerns she's been having with her nephew, I could never begin to explain to you what helping this woman means to me, but that is why I want to do this. I simply want to help people, educate them, and be there for them in a tough time in there life because I have been threw it and am willing to use my life experience to help.
I actually made two videos about the idea the 2nd one I made was shorter and had more energy so maybe I could connect with more people, I'm sorry about just asking people to watch it, it just really means a lot to me and has taken a lot for me to put myself out there. A lot of people in my life don't know these things about me and they might look at me differently now, but that's okay if this can truly help people.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post
My idea is to create a channel where people can come and get honest information from the people who have been threw addiction, to work towards addiction prevention.
This sounds like SoberRecovery!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brandon, we're all here to help each other and ourselves.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
This sounds like SoberRecovery!
Yeah and I hate to say it but since Google was invented, we can find out about signs and symptoms of drug abuse in a matter of seconds, anywhere, anytime.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As apposed to recovery though the focus would be on pursuing the possibility of prevention threw education and support. Focusing efforts on people understanding what the early stages of addiction look like and knowing what to do with that information, how to address the situation, and not only knowing how to move forward but also having the in person support if necessary.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

SR has all that and more are you seeking help for yourself
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with you and that's a great point, but the problem is only getting worse even with that information out there. The idea I purpose would be to not only strengthen awareness of the issue threw education but to also use my own personal experience to encourage actual change
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its like apple saying well they already have mp3 players out there so why create the Ipod. I know the information is out there but I'm talking about presenting it in a way that will actually resonate with people, by using my own story... real personal connection.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I get all the help and support I need through SR.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am extremely proud of my personal sobriety and am working on my 5th year of being clean and sober, wanting to actually pay this forward is what has made me want to do this.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think that it's amazing to have this place and places like this for us to be able to talk and share our stories and get support from eachother, this place is awesome for us. I'm saying support for the family or friend who is trying to save there loved one from addiction
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If your story could save a life would it be worth it? What if we could create a platform where our stories saved people from a lifetime of what we have suffered....
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm saying support for the family or friend who is trying to save there loved one from addiction
Just so you are aware, there is an entire section of the site ( with several subforums ) dedicated to support of friends and families of addicts.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that your idea is a bad one, just that SR itself has nearly all of the things you suggest. The only real difference is that the sharing here is done mostly via text and chat vs. video.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm saying support for the family or friend who is trying to save there loved one from addiction
That is great, but the problem for alcoholics or addicts is no one can "save" us.That goes into codependency and if you visit the friends and family forum here, you will find some of the many, many people that "tried" to save their loved ones with an alcoholism/ addiction problem. I've been on both sides of,the equation. A recovering alcoholic/addict, I have also TRIED to save people from the misery of addiction/alcoholism. It didn't work very good. it wasn't easy to accept I'm not powerful enough to save anyone, but I have absolutley no power to save anyone.
So I decided to carry the message of hope and let them decide IF they WANT help. Then guide if they want to put in the footwork. No carry. Not save. Just guide.
I have absolutly nothing wrong with more support programs for both sides of the coin, but starting a program to try to " save" an alcoholic/addict,IMO, doesnt read good.