Notices

Need Help

Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

I'm posting on "Newcomers," even though I am no such thing. I've tried, both halfheartedly and wholeheartedly, here and elsewhere, to stop drinking. I keep praying to God to "help me, but don't expose me." I know that's a qualifier that won't work. I don't recognize myself. I feel so alone.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Slowdown. You'll find SR to be a community of those who understand addiction as most of us have been where you are at some point in our lives.

Not sure exactly what you mean about help without exposure, but rest assured that you are free to say or ask whatever you wish here about alcohlism and get some honest answers and support.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. "Help without exposure," meaning help without the whole world knowing that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. I can't offer any help as I'm only on day 1 myself, but I know exactly how you feel.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Elphaba, I appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi slowdown and welcome

You are here so that is a good place as any to make a fresh start at your new sober life. I am not sure what you mean by "don't expose me"?? Are there people you are hiding your drinking from, family, employers?

If your drinking is causing you this much anguish there is a high probability that it is not as hidden as you think.

You are not alone on SR. Even though it is a virtual community you will find everyone here is here to support you.

Please keep posting and talking about your roadblocks to sobriety.

(((slowdown))) you can do this!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SoAlone youl find tons of support here

I understand 'help me but dont expose me' your not alone i dont think youl expose yourself by helping yourself this site is anonymous and full of support & helpful advice

Like Scott said we've all been there at some point

Nice to meet you
Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by slowdown View Post
Thanks Scott. "Help without exposure," meaning help without the whole world knowing that I'm an alcoholic.
There is no need for the whole world to know in any recovery community. SR is completely anonymous as are many of the other resources available. In many cases you don't even need to worry about the "Label" either. My wife knows I don't drink anymore and so do my kids and immediate family but that's really about it. No one else needs to know and quite frankly none of them care one way or the other anyway.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR slowdown! As others have said here, you are not alone in this. SR is a great community and will offer a ton of advice and support. Read and post often. We're all in this together.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, slowdown. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery. Wishing you the best today as you start this new way of life...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys have no idea how much this support is needed, and appreciated.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you here slowdown. You're among friends who truly understand.

I felt the same way - I didn't recognize myself in the end. It was terrifying. Talking openly here really helped relieve the anxiety. It sounds like you're ready for this big change in your life. We know you can do it.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Slowdown, you are safe here. No one has to know what's going on unless you decide to tell someone. We do understand how scary this is and we're here to support you.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome... glad you decided to post on this site, you will find a wealth of help, information, caring, etc. It is like a family... and many have been where you are at right now. I didn't recognize myself when I was drinking either.

One day at a time, read a lot here if you have the time, it will really help. Post and let others know how you are doing.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I know how hard this is. I've been there. You are safe and welcome here.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome slowdown,

I didn't recognize the guy looking back in the mirror either at the end of my drinking, still trying to figure out who he is but being sober I'm starting to bit by bit
Old 07-27-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As others have said, there is no need to fear exposure on this forum and everyone here has been where you are at some point in their journey. My only suggestion is to take advantage of the support you will receive here. I wish you the very best.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I couldn't stay sober without SR or AA.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Slowdown

what were you doing when you were trying wholeheartedly?

D
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I joined this forum just share my son’s experience of coming out of his alcoholic addiction. But I myself had to post today about self hurting. I just posted today about hitting my head on the wall whenever my husband fights with me. But son, if the below encourages you then let me help.

My son used to drink a lot at home and with his friends. I could never control him but he decided to stop drinking and joined a de addiction centre. He came back after 4 months and he used to drink only fizzy juices, a lot of coffee and water. But every 3 months we would go for a trip to get away from the mood of drinking. We had gone to the Hawaii islands, disneyland, Haiti island and on last we went for a lake michigan voyage. It was so good. My son and myself enjoyed it a lot. I think de addiction can be fun if we concentrate on things we love doing the most.

But problems began when his father returned from a long time. HE was away from us for more than 3 years and now he is back. My son is feeling bad looking at me now coz we had so much fun getting him off the the alcoholic addiction