Notices

Cravings! Im exhausted!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings! Im exhausted!!!

My cravings are so bad sometimes! Especially in the afternoon and early evening. I am having one right now so I just wanted to post.

It's like a battle between good and evil! Good MUST win! I know I have an more drunks in me....just not sure I have another recoverry. These cravings are exhausting! :-(

Any pep talks or encouragement right now would really help!

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's just a craving. It will pass. It has no real power over you. Just your addiction trying to fool you yet again.

Are you hungry? Are you thirsty? Eat something. Drink something. Are you lonely? Post in here once a minute if you have to. Go to an AA meeting if that's a possibility. Go take a long walk. Take a shower. Read in a park. Watch some bad reality television. Sit on your hands if you have to. But don't take that first drink no matter what. The thoughts will pass, and they do lessen with time.

Hang in there. You're in my thoughts and prayers...
Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
My cravings are so bad sometimes! Especially in the afternoon and early evening. I am having one right now so I just wanted to post.

It's like a battle between good and evil! Good MUST win! I know I have an more drunks in me....just not sure I have another recoverry. These cravings are exhausting! :-(

Any pep talks or encouragement right now would really help!

Thank you.
let go and let god?

or that failing....

How about go and do a random act of kindness for somebody else?
It could be thanking someone, it could be praising someone, it's the act of giving.....what can you give to someone else right now?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't forget that the more you get through the easier the next will be. Can you go for a walk or slow jog. Are you having any of HALT
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cravings happen and cravings pass. and nobody ever died of a craving. if you are committed to not drinking today no matter what, it's really just another thing............
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just ignore it! It's only a feeling and it will pass. Distract yourself. Anything but give in. You've got to be strong. The cravings get less with time but you've got to get thru them.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Is there any chore or suchlike that needs your attention? If not that then going for a walk maybe?

Anything to distract your attention for an hour or so is good

You can do it Serenidad
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

You've already identified your good versus evil (AV...beast) confrontation, and you are the one in control, so take control for your own good!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

This this part you have to change " the way your thinking " Rather you should be saying . If I start again I can damage my body & health possibly beyond repair . What if I can't pull myself out again ? It maybe not be recovery - it will be a fight to live !!
I'm sorry this is Harsh words , but that's what I was looking at
You don't want to go down that road . As for things to keep your mind off it , try what ever it takes . Just don't pick up !!
This will pass as the other posts said . Stay strong ...
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, just ignore the cravings. The more time you have into this, the less cravings you will have. If you can't go for a walk, try something sweet. Ice cream or chocolate works for me... You can do this!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

Good for you for posting, Serenidad!

A craving is just a craving and the more times you get under your belt of just letting it pass through you (don't invite it to hang around!) the less intense they will become.

I hope you can go for a walk, try breathing deeply 5 or 6 times (it really is calming). Do you swim (looking at your avatar!)? I would love to go for a swim but am not very near pools or water.

Do you have anyone you can call? Just to talk to for even a short while.

Make a list of what sobriety means to you.

And, of course, keep telling your blank, blank AV to take a hike down a short pier

I would use much saltier language, but, you know, family site, so you can fill in those blanks if it makes you feel better.

We are all pulling for you so maybe imagine all the great folks here cheering you on!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here Serenidad, cravings are merely just feelings that will pass of course. Coming here is of course a good first step, are you also using AA this time? If so calling any numbers you have or your sponsor would also be helpful if you need local support, and of courses meetings if you can.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. My craving DID pass but it was one of the hardest ones since I started my sobriety journey this time.

I was told to post BEFORE I drink so that's what I did! It really saved my ass! Sometimes just "telling on" my disease does the trick.

The old me would have drank and posted AFTER, so this is progress! I know what to do when I have cravings. I have many lists and threads but MAN when my AV is screaming THAT loud I feel so panicked! I needed to post right away! I couldn't get ahold of anyone on the phone. It was literally that BAD!

Plan for the rest of the day: 6:30 AA meeting, gym, late dinner with kids and husband, bed SOBER!

Thank you all for helping me save my life!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

you done good!!! just keep screaming louder than your AV
Old 07-27-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It won't do you any good....I've been hungover all day. Remember what that's like? It's suuuucks
Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((((Serenidad))))) you made my day with your strenght
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job Serenidad!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Wonderful Serenidad I'm sooooo Happy for you , You have that Strength . Yippy !!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Notice what is going on during a craving. You probably have one or a couple of mental images, like an obsession. For me it was a picture of the beer section in the supermarket. Along with that there was a strong feeling of craving. And thinking like "I could do it. I know it's bad for me but it would be nice."

Then, snap out of it. Reject it. Realize that you don't drink and set it aside. See how nonsensical that combination of images, words and feelings are. They are merely that, images, self-talk and feelings. Just put them aside, ignore them and move on. In it's essence, come to the point where you see how ridiculous they are. It might even be funny when you see it.

There are more strong desires you don't act on. I want to buy something I can't afford. So I won't. Flying lessons seem like fun, but too dangerous. I would love to go skydiving, but again... too dangerous.

Alcohol... too dangerous.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad you beat that craving ! I know how you feel. Sometimes they can feel overwhelming, but you did it! Great job.