Notices

Ect

Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ect

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a procedure in which electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure. ECT seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can quickly reverse symptoms of certain mental illnesses i.e. depression.

I am considering doing the treatment and was wondering if any of you is familiar with it. My addiction is closely related to my depression and as long as I dont take care of both, i will not be able to recover. There are great results with ECT with treating depression. so far, I haven't been able to stop a 17 year old addiction to diet pills (and I did rehabs, AA and NA, medications) nothing has worked. If you have some info or experience with ECT, would love to hear from you.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi future,

I don't have experience with it but I know of someone who does. It was a while ago but I remember her being extremely extremely depressed. She had the procedure and was a completely different person after. I don't know how she is doing now because she was just an acquaintance and we lost touch but hopefully she's doing well.

I'm sorry you struggle with such bad depression. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome futureve

I have no direct experience myself but others do and I hope you hear from them.

In my experience (secondhand) it's a last resort kinda move.

D
Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

First off, welcome to SR, futureve. There is a ton of wisdom and great support to be found here. Hope you'll become a regular participant.

No personal experience either but I know there are people on this forum who have received ECT so hopefully they'll chime in. Agree with Dee--it might very well be necessary but seems like a last resort treatment for those I've known who have received it. Wishing you the best...
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The other thing I might add is that you may well be on to something (re your other post) about the chronic use of diet pills depleting dopamine or perhaps other neurotransmitters. In which case, and I'm no expert, ECT may not have any effect whereas certain medications might be really helpful. I reckon speak with a doctor about it. All the best :-)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Futureve!!