Notices

Home from detox

Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home from detox

I just got home after 4 days in detox. I planned to wait til Friday but ended up going in on Thursday. I feel like it helped me get through those initial cravings, b/c I know had I been home all wknd I most likely would have been drunk the entire time. Altho I do feel like it helped me with those initial days of withdrawals and cravings I know that for me the most important part will be the outpatient after treatment. I feel like I have a lot of mental things and triggers that cause me to want to drink in the first place and those weren't really addressed, so it's up to me from tonight on to follow through with psychiatrist and AA and resources. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I made it through that part I just hope that now that I'm back in the "real world" I can find the right support to keep me sane enough not to turn back to the bottle. Does anyone here have any advice about how to transition from the detox to the outpatient help?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you made it through detox. Now that all that alcohol is out of your body you can start a new fantastic life! I don't have any experience with detox but I'm sure someone that does will be along shortly. :-) Hang in there! I'm walking this journey right along with you. Nothing worth while in life is easy.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Good going Natalie , Happy you took the first step . As Serenidad said , maybe someone can give you more info. I did detox for 2 weeks and didn't have a plan , so of course it didn't work Most I can tell you is to stay away from triggers - Person, places & things till you have a plan in place . SR will be very helpful to your recovery too !!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great you completed detox. Good to hear you have taken the first steps to being alcohol free! I'd just say utilize as best you can the tools they give you in outpatient. As Nike used to say "Just Do It"... don't overthink it and there's always SR.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

In addition to what was already suggested, I would add, if you plan on going to AA, is to get a sponsor/someone you can call and make a commitment to go regularly and often. I stuck close to the people in AA when I was first new. Just make sure you have a strong support network and don't go it alone. I've tried staying sober on my own and it was way more difficult than having the support of others.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice really, but now that your brain is free from alcohol, you can make rational, wise decisions with a clear head.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I don't know your whole story, but I can attest to the fact that detox mostly deals with getting you through physical withdrawal. You will most definitely need a followup plan to deal with the emotional and spiritual aspects of your addiction in order to maintain sobriety. In other words, detox is the easy part, the work comes with staying sober so you never need to detox again. Stay around here as there are loads of resources and people who are more than happy to help when and where they can. Some people here have maintained sobriety with SR alone. It depends on your specific needs and what works for you.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I went to my first AA meetings at my detox, and then did ninety meetings in ninety days after I got out. I hope you have already picked out what meetings you are going to attend.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Natalie

D
Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you checked in, natalie661, and that you went through with going to detox. Just like you made the decision to go ahead and jump into detox, hope you'll jump into the next step immediately--whether it be outpatient therapy or inpatient rehab or AA or one on one counseling, or all of the above. There is a better way of life waiting for you in recovery and you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Natalie!! Great job!!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Absolutely great that you got through detox . Welcome back

Best of luck with the follow up support. You got this.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Natalie, you sound very determined and that's a great start. Apart from the support side of things, which others have mentioned, it really helps to write out a plan. It might go:
- avoid social occasions where there is alcohol
- make sure I eat regularly and have plenty of food and soft drinks in the house
- avoid other sources of stress if possible
- get enough sleep
- plan some new projects or activities

Learning to relax through meditation or deep breathing is invaluable.