Notices

Recovery, caffeine and anxiety attacks

Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery, caffeine and anxiety attacks

Ok, right now I'm having an enormous anxiety attack.

I can smile about it though because it's familiar terrain and it will pass. It was interesting what caused it though. Caffeine. In the past I had no problem with coffee. Could sleep well on it too.

Today I drank a couple more cups than usual and it triggered a classic caffeine-induced anxiety attack.

I'm having trouble seeing straight.

I'm wondering if this sounds familiar. Has anyone else has experienced this after quitting? It somehow makes sense. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant and my brain has gotten used to that for years. Caffeine is a stimulant and since my brain is still recovering, it does not respond well to it.

Does this sound familiar?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I had to go with one cup of coffee a day and the rest of the time, Tension Tamer Tea or SleepyTime Tea.

My anxiety responded to brisk walks or even 50 jumping jacks or squats.

I was pretty jumpy for a few months. It's completely gone now.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I suffer from anxiety attacks aswell & your post made a lot of sense

I dont drink coffee myself & im going therapy for the anxiety as some days are harder than others

Having a healthy balanced diet helps so does cutting down on sugar & caffeine

Have you tried belly breathing exercises they are excellent for anxiety attacks

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - @AnxietySlayer
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I suffer from anxiety attacks aswell & your post made a lot of sense

I dont drink coffee myself & im going therapy for the anxiety as some days are harder than others

Having a healthy balanced diet helps so does cutting down on sugar & caffeine

Have you tried belly breathing exercises they are excellent for anxiety attacks

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice*Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - @AnxietySlayer
Thanks. I've been taught relaxation exercises, including breathing exercises in the past. I've had intensive CGT for anxiety. Which is why I know the drill.

When the anxiety is at the highest, nothing really works for me though. Fortunately it's going away already.

No more coffee for me.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

i might ask you for tips then lol
Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
i might ask you for tips then lol
I've had 7 months of full-time CBT. 5 days a week, 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM. So yeah, I could give tips. But I think it would be medical advice. The therapy was given by trained professionals.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cut out coffee completely, it escalates my anxiety like crazy. I am a spring water and lemon kinda girl now. Actually, I just started drinking cold fruity teas (loose leaf)... they are a nice change.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've faced the same thing before and after quitting alcohol. The last one I had was caffeine- induced. I had too much coffee all through the morning then drank a coke on top of that. After the coke, I get it coming on.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never had a problem with caffeine until I got sober. Same thing happened to me Jerry. I had to cut it out all together.

So, to answer your question YES sounds familiar to me!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a master at self induced anxiety..I have a degree in it! I can relate with how you feel. Great that you know it will pass. They always do! I've cut down on my morning coffee (s) . No plans on giving it up though. Hope you're feeling a bit better JerryF.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Uncanny that you wrote this...i've been trying to find someone with this problem. I had panic attacks growing up but they stopped until recently when I would get them after drinking too much caffeine and not eating enough. I also found that not being idle and exercising makes them go away really well. But you're right, they'll pass. Much love
Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I definitely started to notice the effect of coffee on my heart rate when I got Sober!!

I now only have a few cups in the morning and then switch to green tea for the rest of the day!!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have the same problem now with 4 months sober after drinking for 15 months or so. I had cut out caffeine completely when I stopped drinking, because I knew it would only exacerbate the anxiety during the withdrawals.

Today I tried some, only 40mg, as an experiment to see if the headaches I was getting recently were from vasodilation from the clonidine I've been taking to staunch the flow of adrenaline during PAWS. Well, my theory seems to have been proven, and the caffeine did indeed stop my headache. I would normally just use an NSAID or something, but the past few headaches I've had have not responded well to them. But it seems that just about anything that vasoconstricts also is a stimulant. And apparently even just 40mg of caffeine caused me to have a mini-attack of anxiety complete with the chest burning/pain that has caused me so much discomfort during the first few months of sobriety. I thought that were pretty much behind me as of 2 weeks ago. I have even been slowly tapering down the clonidine to hopefully get off that soon. So I was kind of bummed that such a small dose of caffeine would cause such a reaction and set me back, symptom-wise. Did a good solid 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer at the gym, and some weights, and that seems to have helped a bit.

Before I started drinking (alcohol) last year, I was pretty much a 64-ounce a day Diet Mtn Dew drinker with no added anxiety or other symptoms. I know, that much is not healthy anyway, so it's probably a blessing in disguise having to quit it during recovery. But I am looking forward to the day when my brain settles back down enough that I can have some caffeine every now and then without negative side effects!

A similar thing happened to me 3-1/2 years ago when I a medicine I was foolishly using in an attempt boost my testosterone backfired and messed up my hormone/neurotransmitter balance. Had a massive bout of anxiety and couldn't sleep for more than 1-2 hours a day for like a month, had tachycardia, depression, and a bunch of other uncomfortable symptoms I don't care to recall. It took another year or more to completely get back to normal. It was like the alcohol withdrawals, but even more intense. I remember back then that any caffeine, even a single can of Dew, would exacerbate the situation and I thought I'd never be able to have it again. But after a year or so I was able to resume it, and eventually got back up to the 64-ounce/day level.

However, I think this time around, even after PAWS is all over and I can have caffeine again, I don't think I will except in rare cases. As far as I'm concerned, caffeine, nicotine, excessive sugar, etc. are all mood-altering substances and are just another side of the addiction coin.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes! After I quit drinking I had to cut way back on caffeine or I would get uncomfortably agitated.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It might be best to visit your GP, anxiety is indeed one of the most uncomfortable conditions and can prevent us from doing a variety of things, even answering the phone, opening the mailbox, so on.
Just to rule out a variety of problems that could be tipping you over the scale like thyroid problems, lacking in vitamin B, or potassium levels , too high or too low can cause awful palpitations,
If all that checks out ok then you can think about changing the way we think, ever try some Etchard Tolle teachings "The power of now", try some breathing exercises which you can find on you tube. I feel your pain, I too suffer a lot with anxiety but it's my thinking that brings it on,yeah a few coffees can then elevate it even higher and then add nicotine to it and i'm nearly in full blown panic.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The first couple of months I couldn't drink it at all. It would send me straight to panic attack land.