Notices

Drinking in a parallel universe....help!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking in a parallel universe....help!

I have been sober for 9 months now, and my life has improved so much.
I don't very often think about drinking these days and rarely have a serious craving. Hurrah!

However, I think I have a holiday coming up in a few months. I am going on my own, without my husband, staying with a friend, somewhere I have never been, and for some reason, my head is seriously entertaining the thought that it will be fine if I drink on my holiday, as if getting on this plane and leaving my life for a week is like entering a fantasy parallel universe where none of my actions will have any repercussions back in 'real life'.

I am clearly missing some sort of acceptance of my condition which worries me, not so much about the holiday, but in general, because clearly these thoughts are buried inside me and might just rear their head at another time.

Anyone else found that acceptance is more complicated than they thought? Any tips on work I should be doing to counteract these thoughts?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Soberfreckles, I'm going to wait for some advice as well. We're going away in a few months & that very thought has already crossed my mind. Bf would never entertain the thought of it happening nor would I however it's a good q's.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SoberFreckles View Post
Anyone else found that acceptance is more complicated than they thought? Any tips on work I should be doing to counteract these thoughts?
Your first post, at six months sober, was about acceptance, or lack of it, and how you thought you could drink again.

Three months later, nothing has changed. I wish I could wave a wand and make you accept you can never drink, but acceptance, much like the whole recovery journey, is on you.

I can understand why a vacation might prompt the thoughts. Your analogy of a parallel universe is a good one. A universe where your addiction can play at will.

There is no so such "real" universe. There are consequences if you let your addiction run rampant like a 12-year old juvenile delinquent, pretending it can "get away" with drinking.

Takes a lot of integrity to remain sober. Be as vigilant about your recovery there--if you insist on going--as you are at home.

or stay home.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just stopping drinking doesn't mean I don't remember the drinking, and it certainly didn't immediately erase the voice that said, "Time to drink."

It is said that true character is doing the right thing even when no one will know.

This battle is between you and you. It is a mind game that has to be played just right. Every time I get the thoughts, I switch to another thought or I say to myself, "I don't drink."

We all have those thoughts. I live alone with no family around. I'm not working. I had to come up with my own ways to not pick up that first drink. Meditation, reading recovery material, coming here, staying busy, prayer.

It gets easier.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the previous posters. I think you'd be in more danger if you had kept this to yourself and never posted your thoughts here- so that's a good sign. You realize the danger in such thinking. There is no way "just a few" or "it's just one wedding/party/etc" or "well, I'll go back to sobriety after I get home from this trip" will every be a reality for alcoholics/problem drinkers. These pages and forums are full of stories detailing what happens when someone drops their guard or makes exceptions (usually during some sort of special occasion or celebration). Besides- you'll enjoy your vacation sober. Maybe in a different way, but at least in a way that doesn't jeopardize your sobriety and your life.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 9 months SF
Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

9 months sober is great!

I think that maybe you have not made the shift in your thinking so that you know you can never drink again. If you go on this vacation, hopefully you can prepare yourself mentally to deal with remaining sober.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds about right to me!!

This is all part of recovery and sobriety in my experience.

Thankfully I've discovered that thinking those things needn't mean doing them.

It gets easier, but yes... Acceptance isn't a destination.... It is part of the joyful sober journey.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

9 Months is fantastic!!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Your first post, at six months sober, was about acceptance, or lack of it, and how you thought you could drink again.

Three months later, nothing has changed. I wish I could wave a wand and make you accept you can never drink, but acceptance, much like the whole recovery journey, is on you.

I can understand why a vacation might prompt the thoughts. Your analogy of a parallel universe is a good one. A universe where your addiction can play at will.

There is no so such "real" universe. There are consequences if you let your addiction run rampant like a 12-year old juvenile delinquent, pretending it can "get away" with drinking.

Takes a lot of integrity to remain sober. Be as vigilant about your recovery there--if you insist on going--as you are at home.

or stay home.
Thanks Doggonecarl. You make so many good points, as usual. I like to think I have accepted I am a problem drinker who should never drink again, but I have maybe only managed to barricade that drinker into a room she is one day going to break out of if I am not careful. Your use of the word 'integrity' has also given me much to think about. I should be able to keep important commitments to myself, but have always struggled. Lots more work to do!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

SoberFreckles, congratulations on 9 months!!

For myself, I have taken drinking off the table completely, it is not an option, period. My off switch is defective, always has been, always will be. Nothing I can do will fix it so that I can drink responsibly.

Also, something to think about, a holiday isn't really happening in an alternate reality. It is part of your life, holidays, weddings, birthdays, Christmas and on and on. These dates are part of your life, not a separate part. You don't drink simply because it is Tuesday (not anymore, at least, lol, that was a reason for me!). Apply that to everyday, whether you are at work or on a beach.

I hope my rambling makes a little bit of sense!

Hang onto your 9 months, you will be celebrating 1 year by the time your holiday rolls around!!

Old 07-24-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Sounds about right to me!!

This is all part of recovery and sobriety in my experience.

Thankfully I've discovered that thinking those things needn't mean doing them.

It gets easier, but yes... Acceptance isn't a destination.... It is part of the joyful sober journey.
Thanks FreeOwl. Yes, if acceptance was a destination, I could just book my holiday there instead! This bit of the sober journey for me is clearly one of those scree hills that you climb up for hours, think you must be near the top and look up, only to discover you are about 3 metres away from where you started....
Old 07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
9 months sober is great!

I think that maybe you have not made the shift in your thinking so that you know you can never drink again. If you go on this vacation, hopefully you can prepare yourself mentally to deal with remaining sober.
I think you are spot on. Deep down, I must still be seeing this as a temporary measure, even though my life is one billion times better now than it was when I was drinking. Being human and illogical is such a bummer sometimes! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
SoberFreckles, congratulations on 9 months!!

Also, something to think about, a holiday isn't really happening in an alternate reality. It is part of your life, holidays, weddings, birthdays, Christmas and on and on. These dates are part of your life, not a separate part. You don't drink simply because it is Tuesday (not anymore, at least, lol, that was a reason for me!). Apply that to everyday, whether you are at work or on a beach.

I hope my rambling makes a little bit of sense!

Hang onto your 9 months, you will be celebrating 1 year by the time your holiday rolls around!!

2ndhandrose, thank you. Not rambling at all! Very lovely! The weird thing is that I have already had a sober vacation this year, and it was fine. So I should know I can do this, but on one level, I don't seem to want to....but then I don't want to throw away a year's sobriety on a fantasy either.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That is one I have to fight back every once in a while too. I identify it as part of the irrational thinking that kept me from quitting. Like FreeOwl mentioned it seems to be part of the retraining process. I will be doing just fine and it is almost like my mind is trying to go back into the old groove. You are dealing with it honestly so you are looking good to me. It also is the one I have heard that will get people with really long term sobriety too. I always hear them say "I thought I could handle it".
Old 07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's a good thing about thoughts:
I can't control em coming into my head, but I have the choice of whether I believe them or not. I have the choice to say," nope, not true" or " yeah, I can drink"
By the grace of God I didn't completely fry my brain. I still have some memory and the greatest part of that memory is seeing what alcohol did for me.
So I can chose," nope, that's a lie. Time not to believe THAT thought a d turn my attention to something more useful."
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

on the intricacies of acceptance are you entraining these ideas and engaging with them as opposed to them "crossing your mind".

All sorts of stuff floats through my head- fortunately I do not really take that much notice of a lot of it- and I don't have to act on it. My ideas and fantasies however do tell me "where I am at".
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's an inner rebel in most of us...a petulant but highly intelligent child who loves 'getting away with stuff.'..

I had to consciously remind myself where that stuff took me...and the fact it all starts with the first drink.

Your inner addict will scream cry stomp around and tell you you'll never have fun again...but you will...much more fun that the embarrassments injuries and blackouts gave you

D
Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberFreckles View Post
..but then I don't want to throw away a year's sobriety on a fantasyeither.
Might want to remeber bolded word.
Enjoy the NOW.
Yesterday's history
Tomorrows a mystery
Today is a gift
That's why it's called the present.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Soberfreckles, congrats on the milestone of 9 months! Fantastic. As for the acceptance thing, I think many of us try to leave a little back door open to possibly taking a weekend or a vacation or some celebration (birthday) 'off', and to then go back to full-on sobriety the next day or week or whatever.
I have myself fallen into that trap, relapsing after years and years of being sober, thinking that I could handle it. Of course I was soon back worse than ever.

Accepting the finality of not drinking actually feels better to me know, as I don't even bother to think of opportunities or events in the future where I might want to booze it up. What still gets me occasionally is the thought or anticipation of drinking, just a mental image where I am in a happy mood and feeling good, because it is tied up in my memory with friends and family and good times. It doesn't always end good but when you are romanticizing it - as the brain so often does with many things - of course it seems quite harmless. Just like quitting smoking, the impulse to light up a cigarette can sometimes pop up unexpectly, even after decades of not smoking. Maybe with full acceptance the exciting and appealing nature of thinking and anticipating drinking will lessen and become more and more manageable. I don't know, still working it out for myself.