Notices

Anxiety / Bariatric Surgery / Sobriety

Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety / Bariatric Surgery / Sobriety

Hi,

Brand new here. I've got a story for you.

I've been struggling with drinking hard alcohol for about 10 years now. I've also really struggled with my weight. At one point, I was about 200 lbs above where I should be.

About 2 years ago, I got a sleeve gastrectomy, which is where they surgically remove a good portion of your stomach so you literally can't eat as much. I lost about 100 lbs after the surgery.

I didn't stop drinking though, which I was partially hoping the surgery would curb my drinking just from my inability to drink as much (because you absorb it much easier). It just made it worse.

My mom has the same surgery, and has had alcohol problems as well. She's had several seizures due to alcohol withdrawal after months of heavy day/night drinking. She was given a medical detox at the ER and is currently being weened off those meds and getting sober from alcohol.

A few weeks after hearing about my mom's problems, I had a major panic attack downtown where I live in a major city after accepting a 2nd job. The previous day I had drank during the day/night after having a fight with my wife.

I didn't realize it was a panic attack at the time, and was completely sure it was a seizure coming on. In the midst of my panic, I walked blocks downtown to find a bar to get a couple drinks, and then ended up buying a bottle of my favorite stuff "convinced" if I kept drinking, I'd keep the seizure at bay.

My whole goal was to try and get to the ER, tell them about my medical history, and hopefully keep from having a seizure like my mom's. It didn't end well, and I ended up drinking and driving, damaging my new car slightly, and winding up at the ER anyway, just to have them tell me I have a drinking problem.

Yeah, no ****.

I think the panic attack came on from stress, but also alcohol withdrawal. That said, I've been suffering anxiety every single day since then and am not sure how to get it under control and am scared to just go cold turkey due to the possibility of seizures.

I should mention that my mom had been drinking day/night for about 6 months, and when she just stopped one day, several hours later, she started having seizure symptoms and eventually had one.

I don't typically drink crazy amounts during the day, and most of the time, I just drink enough to keep symptoms at bay nowadays.

I'm reluctant to go to rehab, because I can't afford to take time off work, or lose my job for that matter, so I'm attempting an alcohol tapering schedule, starting today. When my symptoms start to bother me, going to follow my schedule, but I gotta get sober.

Because if I don't, I might lose my family, and I don't want that at all.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

It's very common for people who have had weight loss surgery to develop alcoholism (in case you didn't know that), It was a year after gastric bypass and 100+ pounds I lost my job. I started drinking to help me sleep and before I knew it I was drinking all the time. I have struggled for quite some time but now have a length of sobriety under my belt. I felt like you do, I didn't want to lose time from work for a rehab so I am now in a 12 step program and also see a psychologist on a regular basis. You can definitely do it. I don't know if tapering will work for you. Many of us were food addicts before we were alcohol addicts. I wish you all the best! I hope you get help, whatever that may be. Definitely talk to your doctor/surgeon about it!!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WacArnolds!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's quite common.

You might want to check out these excellent memoirs:

Gut Problem by Carnie Wilson and
Guts by Kristen Johnston
Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't realize it was common... Why is it? that's pretty interesting.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome To SR WacArnolds
Old 07-24-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree it's common Rinky! It's more typical with the full RNY version of gastric bypass (which I had) for physiological reasons but I think that for anyone struggling with addiction issues, alcohol and gastric bypass don't mix well.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I learned something new interesting this is a common problem.

wacarnolds hang in there I tapered till i got towards the tail end and hated drinking if i couldnt get drunk so i just abruptly quit at that point. It worked out ok for me no super scary issues to report. But not everyone is as lucky be careful etc..

I like to think that drinking and food addiction are very simlier. But as one person pointed out to me an alcoholic can simply not drink but a food addict does actually still have to eat each day.

I was overweight when i quit drinking I applied the concepts i learned with that to get my eating in order my exercise habits in order and to help me quit smoking. for me the single thing that helped me the most was quiting drinking then the rest fell into order in time. I hope you have the same luck.

take it one day at a time and go easy on yourself.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcomes and replies everyone.

My mom and I probably didn't do all the research we should have involving the surgery because we mainly just wanted to hear "you'll lose weight if you do this". I know for fact that we both have addictive personalities to begin with.

Whenever I've been prescribed with pain meds for whatever reason (post-surgery or whatever) I've abused those as well. Couple that mentality with eating disorder and bam: problems.

Anyway, I am moving forward with my taper to see how it goes, but have already promised my family that if it starts going south that I'll check into a detox. I'm hoping I can make this work though.

Day One! Wish me luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was never much of a drinker...until I had gastric bypass surgery. I was an emotional eater. I ate when sad, depressed, happy, etc. When I had the surgery, I could no longer use to cope with my feelings. So what did I turn to? Alcohol. Alcohol went down much easier than food.

Fast forward a few years, I was a full-blown alcoholic. I had to go to rehab to get help. My therapist said it's a cross addiction...I used food for so many years and couldn't do it anymore. So basically, I just switched addictions.

Hang in there my friend. It isn't easy but it is so worth it. I've reached 9 months sober. I feel so much better mentally, physically, emotionally. You can do this!
Old 07-24-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suggest asking your doctor for help in getting safely thru withdrawal. Meds can be given, short term, to lessen anxiety and reduce the chance of seizures.

I tried tapering to quit but never could do it as I always ended up drinking too much.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR WacArnolds

D
Old 07-24-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I definitely struggled with alcohol long before my surgery as I tried to quit many other times over the past 10 years.

A lot of times it was just like "I don't WANT to quit" 'cause you like how it makes you feel at the end of the day...at least that was why I stuck with it for so long.

But after the surgery, I started day drinking waaaay more, and the nature of my employment is contracting currently, so there would be periods of downtime, sometimes months, which lead to more time at home "bored" and seeking out my favorite "friend".

I actually consulted with my father, who's an MD before I started the taper. I showed him my schedule and asked if he thought it would be a good idea to try. His response was pretty favorable, so I'm hoping this will work.

Also, I'm seeing my family practice Dr on Tuesday as well, so I can follow up with them too.