Sober living search for 20 year old.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober living search for 20 year old.

How do you go about finding sober living? For a 20 year old. So far the places I have spoken to don't take anyone under 21. Unless it's a high end country club type.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At 20 I was responsible for finding my own place to live and paying for it. I also worked, went to school and even managed to have a social life.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, no help here, our daughter's in-patient treatment placed her in her sober living place.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Usually the treatment center will have someone who offers help. If you don't have access to staff at a such a place, I'd just search and call as you find them. I know there are plenty that take people who are under 21. CA and MN is where I am most familiar, but there must be more than this! Good luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Has he looked into Oxford Houses? They are pretty much everywhere and I think their age threshold is 18 if I am not mistaken.
Give him this link, he can locate one nearby and also download the application
Oxford House
Old 07-25-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try your local colleges. My sons college has a Students in Recovery group and a Recovery Resource Center, both of which recommended the sober living house which we selected. And for info, not everyone living in my sons sober living house attends college.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Refuser,
Generally the age cut off which I see is 18 rather than 21. That being said I would follow Carlotta's advice and google for Oxford House. There are hundreds if not thousands of Oxford Houses in the US -- even my tiny state of Delaware has 61 Oxford Houses spread among our 3 counties.

If you are looking to relocate - south east Florida is a great place to find sober living houses - try Delray Beach, West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale for starters.

Jim