Notices

Heading to detox today

Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heading to detox today

I'm going to be admitting myself into detox for the first time today. I've been trying to hold out til my work week was over, so as soon as I get out of work today I'll be going in. I know that detox is just the initial phase and the follow-up is the most important part but for me it's just been getting past that 2 or 3 day onset of urges that has been the most difficult right now. Plus I know I need some type of medical/mental evaluation beyond just the alcohol part. I'm nervous but at the same time very hopeful. Any advice, past experiences or just support would be greatly appreciated right now
Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Medical detox is the safest way to go. You made the right decision. You'll get a benzo (will start high then taper off) to offset the withdrawals for a couple of days. The nursing staff will monitor your vitals to determine if you need more meds.

I wouldn't recommend detoxing on your own. It's too dangerous - Blood pressure can shoot up sky high, hallucinations can happen and seizures. Some people do it on their own. though.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Natalie,

I have not experienced a detox program, but I am glad to hear that you are doing this. You're taking action and getting help for your issues.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on making a big decision to better your life, natalie661. Hope you'll make active participation here a part of your recovery plan as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I just know that if I go home today after work I'll end up spending the entire weekend drunk out of my mind. I haven't had any alcohol in about 2 days and I already woke up this morning with pretty bad withdrawals and barely made it in to work. To be honest, I would have gone and bought some alcohol this morning but luckily my husband had hidden the cards so I literally had no way to get it, which at the time had me freaking out but now I'm grateful, although at the moment I feel like I'm losing my mind b/c it's all I can think about
Old 07-24-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do know it is dangerous to stop alcohol on your own especially depending how much for how long have you been drinking . DTs can occur as much as 2 weeks after your last drink. I detoxed in the hospital and had to have anti seizure meds, benzos, and pain meds bc I had pancreatitis as well.

I DTd my second week. I went off on a nurse, I remember what set me off and I remember losing it, then they must have shot me with some meds bc I woke in the ICU tied down incase I woke up violent. Please be very careful. If it is going to be a while before you are able to get there and get checked in.. someone needs to be with you. Good luck.. I will be praying for your success.. It is so worth it.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats and good luck, Natalie! You've made a fantastic decision.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this Natalie!! Good Luck!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats & best wishes Natalie
Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wishing you the very best... you are making the right decision.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share , but my very best wishes Natalie - I think you've made a great decision

D
Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Darling angel - sending you my best wishes. You are not losing your mind...it is just symptoms of withdrawal and addiction. You already have 2 days sober, are going into detox for extra help, and it can only get better from there. Sounds like your hubby is supportive in a very practical way too, which is an enormous bonus. You can do it :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Oh Darn I missed your post , You could be already gone ? That's a wonderful idea I wanted to say I put myself in one too In my long journey to get Sober . The one I was at had both alcohol & substance . Great group of people made some friends . I felt very safe knowing I wasn't alone
You should be just fine , I only went for 2 weeks . I missed my little dog I had than . Really should of done 30 to be nice an clean Big mistake .
I'm be sure to check in when you return