Notices

NOW it's day 4 :)

Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NOW it's day 4 :)

So after my disappointment yesterday of thinking it was day 4 and then realizing it was only day 3, I can now celebrate the day officially.

My wife surprised me yesterday evening by saying, "I sure would like a drink, but you aren't drinking, are you?" She never drinks unless I'm having something. What a wonderful woman for even noticing that I wasn't drinking! When I confirmed that I wasn't, she quietly got her dinner and a Corona Light...which, to me, is like drinking yicky stuff that shall not be named so it wasn't even close to a trigger

My stomach seems to be doing a bit better today, too. That's a great win. I am convinced that I have bowel cancer or crohn's disease (I have an anxiety disorder, so I chalk those thoughts up to Stinkin Thinkin...but I still hold them dearly ). I am looking forward to the day when my hypochondria can take a break from my bowels and instead give me some silent disease that will just as surely kill me. The change will be nice.

Keep it up out there! Let's enjoy the weekend with clear minds!

John
Old 07-24-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 4 John!! Keep pushing through and have a great weekend!!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congrats on day 4, Ron. Hopefully the more sobriety you have, the less anxiety you'll feel (and the happier your bowels will be! ) xxx
Old 07-24-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have a treasure in your wife John. Congratulations on day 4.

Be kind and good to yourself with what you eat and drink.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4...it is wonderful..
Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Way 2 Go Ron - Nice job 4 Days !! Hope you have some nice ways planed up for the weekend to keep busy
Glad your wife is on board , I'm sure that's very helpful .
I hear you on that Corona years ago , someone left some at my place . I figured out why Nasty It's good that's not a trigger . Hand in there- stay strong ...
Old 07-24-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your wife sounds like a real sweetheart - going for the corona light :-)

Sounding fantastic! Hypochondriacs don't typically imagine feeling better - you must be!!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 4 Ron thats awesome
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Four days is a good beginning! One day at a time, day by day, those days will keep adding up and life will continue to get better. I used to be convinced regularly that I had cancer or was going to drop dead any minute from a stoke or something. I don't worry as much anymore.
I also have a supportive partner that I appreciate very much.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4!

I also thought I had IBS, Crohns, Cancer (insert bowel disorder here), and it turned out to be the alcohol. My anxiety was sky high in the morning and it really manifested itself into morning bowel problems. I stopped drinking 8 months ago and NO bowel issues whatsoever.

Alcohol and gastrointestinal issues seem to go hand in hand. It's always best to check these things out with a doctor.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody.

Sarah - yeah, I checked it out with a doc, but he refused to diagnose me with cancer, crohns, or any other disease that I gave him on my multiple-choice list. What a hack. Anyhow, I'm now looking forward to seeing if it's this dang alcohol...because, as you know, the problems and pain you and I had/have is a POWERFUL motivator to stop drinking!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 4.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If that doctor of yours can't even pick something out of a multiple list he really is a hack. Really does sound hopeful from others' reported experiences and I know chronic pain isn't funny...
x
Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 4, Ron!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 5

Thanks everybody. Day 5 come and gone. We went to one of those dinner and a movie places...one that makes outstanding margaritas. I got a Pelligrino sparkling water

When we got home, my wife said, "I really want a drink, but not sure I'm going to have one." I asked why not and even offered to make her a vodka tonic (she loves those but they always gave me massive heartburn). She said, "no, I don't want to have one and make you want one when you've been doing so good." I think I'll keep her

So Day 5 down...oh! And I'm down 3 pounds!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

That's the way GO ! 5 Days , it's late here you maybe sleeping and wake up to Day 6 Yea ... Very happy your wife is praising you too .
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yup. She's a keeper. She sounds sensitive and gentle. Lucky man. No doubt she's on to a winner too :-) 3 pounds?! Cripes, that was quick!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 6

Day 6

A couple came over today who are both great friends of ours. We typically drink some margaritas and craft beers together. I realized that this was a GREAT opportunity to get rid of some of our tequila I acted as bar tender, drank St Croix, and had a great time. When they left I mentioned to Beth how tired I was from the work today and from the visit, but also said how great the St Croix was. She immediately said, "so you didn't have one while everybody was here?? Oh Hun, I'm so proud of you!" So test X+1 passed...I can still enjoy time with friends without having to partake.

Eagerly awaiting Day 7!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok...revelation

Insight #1

I just wrote what I thought was a full recounting of my day. Yes, it was about friends, but centered around alcohol. What the heck! The great win of today wasn't abstention, rather what I DID without a drink in my hand mid-day

I stayed home from church because my son has strep. I hung 20 blinds, disassembled my front door and reassembled it to fix my door knob and locks, played my son in 2 games of horse (easier to beat him when he's sick!), picked up some furniture to work on across town, and I'm about to grill some chicken for the family.

THAT was today had I had a drink earlier in the day none of that would have been done. I'd have just been "relaxing." Maybe I know why I have lost 3 pounds so far
Old 07-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow - isn't it amazing how different life is without alcohol? Actually, without it, we have a life, with it we don't, as your post just proves. Fantastic John :-)