Notices

It's been two weeks since I was at death's door

Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been two weeks since I was at death's door

This is the longest time I've been sober since Jan. 2014. It's not that much, but it's a lot for me. I'm sort of glad I was going through withdrawal or still drunk, or just out of it that first night in ICU because I didn't really comprehend how bad things were until the week progressed. When I got home, though, and read all the stuff and saw "acute" everywhere, that's when I knew. Posting here and looking up alcoholic acidosis confirmed (and that was one of acute conditions).

Even while I was being monitored in the ER, I kept making plans in my mind to get back to the last little "water" bottle that was in the house. That's one of the few things I remember vividly. Of course I wasn't going anywhere. I was going to ICU.

IOP is going well. We learned about the stages:

introductory stage (when the AOD-alcohol and drugs-aren't controlled you. there was a balance to indicate that at this time, the positives outweighed the negatives. Each section came with an illustrated picture of the brain. in the first picture, the brain had mostly normal activities like "Family, work, job, friends" Only a few red AODs showed up.

Then we talked about maintenance stage. Each one includes the family increasing concern, stress, anger, etc.

Then came Dependence stage. More read AODs in the brain. The scale is now tipped in favor of destructive nature of alcohol.

Finally, we talked about the disaster stage (where most of us met our bottom). At that point, everything is a trigger, from getting up in the morning, to dressing, to thinking about what you need to do, standing in a grocery line, etc. Now the brain is filled with red AODs and all of those other things have been pushed away and all an addict can think about is when his next drink is coming.

I'm still as determined as every.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay determined notgonnastoptry - you can do this

D
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work! 3 months ago i had a friend who had pains in his stomach, he went to the er and had Acute pancreatitis , they sedate him for 40 days, machines to keep him alive. When you get to that stage things are very serious! Keep up the good work and remember your life is worth a whole lot more than getting drunk..
Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, from the bottom you can still pull yourself up! You can do it, notgonnastoptry.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome achievement keep on keepin on
Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I think it was the author who wrote Harry Potter that famously said the foundation of her success was built on rock bottom circumstances. You can do this. I'm glad you are improving and have IOP. Keep posting.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and hang in there.

A very valuable lesson I learned early on is that if I don’t have the first drink I won’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN. It’s that simple and requires steady work to change the reasons we drank to be recovered.

BE WELL
Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you're taking this bottom so seriously and that you're including us here in your recovery plan. Keep us updated! You're in my thoughts and prayers today.