Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Headache that won't go away ... did any of you experience this?

Notices

Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Today is Day 10 with no alcohol (yes, I'm clapping for myself, haha). Today is, officially, the furthest I have ever gotten. And I plan on only going farther!

Anyway - I've had this absolutely terrible headache that's almost in the middle of my head. I'm guessing this is just a withdrawal symptom and the final death throws of that little monster in my head, trying everything it possibly can to get me to respond and drink, which I WILL NOT - just wondering if any of you experienced this and if so, if anything you did may have helped? I've had it for four days now and nothing I take gets rid of it - tried tylenol, goodie's, advil, ibuprofen, long hot baths, washcloths, tylenol PM, ... I'm running out of options to try

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink lots of water.

Also watch your food intake, low blood sugar is sometimes the cause. I had a low grade headache for the first few days, too. As a matter of fact everything hurt. I was taking Ibuprofen every day for a couple weeks in the beginning and hadn't taken anything for a very long time. I think it is normal that after depressing the nervous system with alcohol for so long, when it comes back to life it is super sensitive.

Did you cut back on caffeine? Like did you used to drink caffeinated beverages a lot when you were drinking? Caffeine withdrawal will do that too.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days! My headache lasted for 9 days, hope it eases for you soon!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here, i'd add to check with your doctor if it persists.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the headache disappears soon, but don't hesitate to talk to your dr if it persists. Congratulations on 10 days sober.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Drink lots of water.

Also watch your food intake, low blood sugar is sometimes the cause. I had a low grade headache for the first few days, too. As a matter of fact everything hurt. I was taking Ibuprofen every day for a couple weeks in the beginning and hadn't taken anything for a very long time. I think it is normal that after depressing the nervous system with alcohol for so long, when it comes back to life it is super sensitive.

Did you cut back on caffeine? Like did you used to drink caffeinated beverages a lot when you were drinking? Caffeine withdrawal will do that too.
Thank you. I always had my morning caffeine when I was drinking. But now my caffeine intake has actually increased, if not tripled, since I've quit. I think that's just my brain thinking I need "something" to drink other than water, so I've been reaching for more coffees, sodas, and energy drinks than normal.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pleasehelpmeout View Post
Thank you. I always had my morning caffeine when I was drinking. But now my caffeine intake has actually increased, if not tripled, since I've quit. I think that's just my brain thinking I need "something" to drink other than water, so I've been reaching for more coffees, sodas, and energy drinks than normal.
I find too much caffeine will cause me to have a "rebound" headache. It's a lot like alcohol in that I get to a certain level and then have to have it to feel normal.

I had to cut back to two cups max a day. If I have four, I wake up with a splitting headache.

I spent many years under a doctor's care for severe migraines - I do not like headaches!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yesterday was day 5 for me and I had a headache like all day and lots of muscle tension...so I told myself "well, I can have one or two drinks to get me through, like a taper" (genius, I know). So I did have a few, nothing crazy, but was angry at myself this morning. So don't do that. I agree with the above, make sure you're drinking plenty of water and keeping your energy levels up by eating regularly.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Nice work 10 days Yea ! I remember headaches , as one poster said lots of water . I didn't see that on your list of drinks ? The other thing is beer has a lot of salt in it , if that's what you had drank your body maybe craving some . When I'm low on salt intake it will give me a headache even now . I know you can get a lot from food , just wondered just another hint to check on .
Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saudades View Post
Yesterday was day 5 for me and I had a headache like all day and lots of muscle tension...so I told myself "well, I can have one or two drinks to get me through, like a taper" (genius, I know). So I did have a few, nothing crazy, but was angry at myself this morning. So don't do that. I agree with the above, make sure you're drinking plenty of water and keeping your energy levels up by eating regularly.
Exactly. I think the headache is the little monster in your head trying to find SOME WAY to get fed.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Nice work 10 days Yea ! I remember headaches , as one poster said lots of water . I didn't see that on your list of drinks ? The other thing is beer has a lot of salt in it , if that's what you had drank your body maybe craving some . When I'm low on salt intake it will give me a headache even now . I know you can get a lot from food , just wondered just another hint to check on .
Oh really? I didn't know it had a lot of salt, that may very well be it then.

I have been having quite a bit of water. I have a 20oz glass bottle that I keep in the fridge and refill throughout the day. I usually have about three of them per day (so 60 ounces), and occasionally four. Yesterday I only had two bottles
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, great job on 10 days!

I had low-grade headaches for about the first month of being sober. Not debilitating, but dully nagging. I chalked it up to changes in the body after having drank so much for so long.

I'd have to agree with the others who said if it continues you may want to see a dr about it.

Best wishes moving forward!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pleasehelpmeout View Post
Exactly. I think the headache is the little monster in your head trying to find SOME WAY to get fed.
I completely agree. I knew better, but at least now I can look back from the other side and realize it didn't solve one damn thing.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 10 is fantastic!!

Any concerns best to check in with a Dr, my mind/head cleared in time!!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Beer does NOT have a lot of salt in it. At 5-15mg per 12 oz., the sodium content is actually quite low.

Not sure where people get this stuff...

I agree with the advice to drink plenty of water, though.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 10, pleasehelpmeout!

I remember getting an awful headache that lasted for a good week. It did eventually pass. Considering the abuse I put my body through, I figured my body was trying to heal itself and adjusting to the absence of alcohol.

Please see your Doctor if it persists.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I rarely get headaches and i dont really remember them bar the first 3 days of WD

What i normally do for a headache is something called Kool n Sooth its 100% water its a upgraded version of a wet flannel on your head it really works its great for migraines too i wish i had some yesterday as i had a headache

But yeah plenty of water & Kool n Sooth its so effective & 100% water

Awesome Achievement reaching double digits
Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I rarely get headaches and i dont really remember them bar the first 3 days of WD

What i normally do for a headache is something called Kool n Sooth its 100% water its a upgraded version of a wet flannel on your head it really works its great for migraines too i wish i had some yesterday as i had a headache

But yeah plenty of water & Kool n Sooth its so effective & 100% water

Awesome Achievement reaching double digits
Thanks for the tip. Is it this? Home - Kool n Soothe by Kobayashi
Old 07-23-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A headache that lasts that long is always a reason to contact your doctor. Do mention to them what you drink and how much, like the coffee, energy drinks, etc. Those can cause headaches. But let your doctor figure it out.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats it i normally buy the ones for migraines for mrs sw as she gets really bad migraines i wish i had one yesterday lol

They have other stuff which is all water based i swear by Kool n Sooth for migraines mrs sw says they are a godsend