Notices

Anxiety and Buspar

Old 07-22-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and Buspar

I am just curious if anyone has tried Buspar for anxiety. It is supposed to be non-addicting. I have taken it on and off for a year but not really how my doctor prescribed it. I would always forget to take my second dose in the evening due to drinking and would mainly rely on my benzos to get me by. Since I have been sober, I have been taking it twice as directed and I am now down to next to nothing on my benzo prescription. The whole point of Buspar was to help me eventually stop taking the benzos, but I never have really given this medication a fair chance with my alcohol use. Anyone have any experience with this medication?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with this, but it sounds like it's working as hoped for you.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Buspar maybe 12 to 15 years ago. I have a hard time remembering how it affected me. Unfortunately, I was drinking off and on during that time as well, so I can imagine it wasn't as effective as it could've been. My therapist and doc at the time knew I drank, and so they went with Buspar instead of Benzos because of my addiction.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! My doctor knows about the drinking now but I was prescribed the benzos for panic attacks, way before he knew about the alcohol. He doesn't want me to taper down too fast, so I have been working on this since last November. I hope that this Buspar will work now that I am not depleting its effects with Alcohol.