Feeling frustrated

Old 07-22-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling frustrated

Hi
I wrote in the new to recovery area, I was directed to this area, to sum it all up...my son 24 and his g/f 20 are addicted to heroin, they are having a baby.
Anna directed me to a place where my son can get help. The Salvation Army. I have called them, and while he was somewhat helpful, he also kept laughing at me, as if I should know the answers. This is all so scary for me. It really frustrates me when people are less than helpful .
It is hard enough to reach out and ask for help.
The good news is , they will take my son. Of course that is only if my son will agree.
The bad news is they are only for men.
Any ideas on where my sons girlfriend, and mother to my grandbaby
Can get some help. This is terrifying me, what she is doing to that sweet baby.
I also realize that all this struggle and frustration, could all be for nothing if both of them refuse to get help.
I must try though. Any and all advice will be most appreciated.
Thanks for listening!
Asha
Old 07-22-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First thing to do is get her to a doctor as soon as you can and discuss your options with him. Not only does heroin addiction greatly increase the chance of miscarriage, but trying to detox also puts the pregnancy at considerable risk. Even at a very early stage, the embryo is dependent on opiates (because it is receiving them through the umbilical cord), and trying to detox cold-turkey has the potential to cause a terminal detox to the embryo. Depending on how far along she is, there's even a chance that the doctor may tell her not to quit until after the birth. In most cases, however, they'll recommend a program that will help her ween off in a way that won't be harmful to the pregnancy.

So sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck.