Notices

Daughter doesn't want help

Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Daughter doesn't want help

My daughter just got out of jail last Monday on Parole. She is a alcoholic. We agreed to have her stay in our house. Tuesday her and I waited for the Parole officer to come to the house. Wednesday, I brought her to change her Driver's license and to apply for a job waitressing-she was going to go and find a part time job and a warehouse full time job.

Came home, I went on the computer-next thing I know she is GONE! We found out she walked to the bar about 5 blocks away-she must have met someone that she knows-she is at their house (supposedly). Reported that to the Parole officer and told him I am a wreck-I am (was) willing to help, but not now-she doesn't even call. I'm trying to find a job-I can't be a babysitter-I do not even want her in the house by herself. She is 24.

Anyone else had anything like this happen??
Old 08-30-2004, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Hi kj1221,

My son is 26 and fighting a heroin addiction. You can't babysit them, you can't save them, you can't protect them. They have to do it themselves. I tried with my son and he did not get serious about his recovery until I put him out of the house by dropping him off at a detox center, from there he went to the Salvation Army program (it's free). It's a wonderful program. When I let him live at home and tried to 'protect' him I only created an environment in which he could use.

You might want to try attending some of the al-anon meetings in your area.

Welcome to SoberRecovery, you've landed in a very good place. Things can get better for you, honestly. Stick around and post often.

sigh
Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Kj,

I also wanted to suggest you post on the nar-anon board here at Sober Recovery because there are a lot of other parents that post there. You could also post on the al-anon board.

I hope today is going a little better for you.

hugs
sigh
Old 08-31-2004, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

kj -
Welcome to SR!

Come on over and post in the "Friends and Family" forum. There are lots of people there who are dealing with alcoholic children and lots of wisdom and help.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to make your daughter stop drinking. Fortunately, there is a lot you can do to make your life much better.

Glad you're here -
L