Notices

blood test

Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

blood test

So I got my results back today an all is clear. Liver an kidneys, pancreas good. But cholesterol level high. Guess one thing I have to add on my list to take care of. But how do I lower my cholesterol levels? I know cheerios help at least that's what the commercial says lol
Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Congratulations on the good blood tests! That is great news. I can't help with the cholesterol issue, you should probably ask your doctor about that.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
So I got my results back today an all is clear. Liver an kidneys, pancreas good. But cholesterol level high. Guess one thing I have to add on my list to take care of. But how do I lower my cholesterol levels? I know cheerios help at least that's what the commercial says lol
I'm glad your numbers are good. There are many ways to lower your cholesterol. Quitting all red meat, or changing to an entirely plant based diet. Daily exercise is another. If you smoke, stop. And finally statin medications if needed.

I recommend taking the cholesterol problem very seriously. Don't end up like me, in a cath lab with a cardiologist looking at my arteries and informing me that one of them has a 100% blockage. I could have prevented that from happening if I had made lifestyle changes when I was younger. But I was a knucklehead and didn't do what needed to be done.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My cholesterol was high along with my BP from all my drinking too. For the most part I was drinking instead of eating at times, and I drank beer exclusively so my stomach was usually full. And when I did eat it was sometimes bad food. Couple that with lack of good sleep and not much exercise and it's not really a big surprises.

I would imagine your doctor could give you some recommendations for diet and exercise changes that would help. And if that doesn't work they sometimes prescribe meds to help lower it too. Either way, ask your doctor...the solution is different for everyone based on not only their current health but their lifestyle, etc.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

y doc recommended 2 over the counter supplements and a call to a nitritionist
Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent news congrats Toni when i dieted last year i cut out all carbs & junk food
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Mediterranean diet worked WONDERS on my cholesterol. Dropped it a ridiculous amount in only 2-3 months. My doctor was amazed. I even made scrambled eggs with olive oil instead of butter in the mornings.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great news Toni!!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Excellent news congrats Toni when i dieted last year i cut out all carbs & junk food
I agree that the low carbs and eating whole, healthy food and good fats like coconut oil and olive oil really help.

Eating (good) fat is actually good for lowering cholesterol in combo with low carbs--lots of recent research shows this.

Check out Mark's Daily Apple website :

Welcome to Mark's Daily Apple | Mark's Daily Apple

He has links to many peer-reviewed medical / nutrition studies that reflect more recent research.

Obviously, a solid exercise program will also help you in many ways

Great news on the good bloodwork!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)