My son has pancreatitis

Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son has pancreatitis

When my son and his gf came to dinner last week he said that he hadn't been feeling the best and that sometimes he had a hard time keeping food down and some other issues. I talked to him yesterday, and he said he had went to the hospital the day before because he was feeling pretty bad. They did a CT scan, bloodwork and some other tests and told him he has an inflamed pancreas. He said the doctor told him it's from heavy alcohol use. I work in the health field, but wanted to find out all I could, so I googled it. He needs to completely stop drinking or it is not a good prognosis at all.

He said they gave him some meds that will make him sick if he drinks and some anti-anxiety meds for withdrawal and when I talked to him he was totally sober, thank God.

He said that maybe this was a blessing in disguise and he knows he needs to stop since he has a baby coming.

This is some scary stuff.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope that your son really can stay off the drink and this is his lightbulb moment. My husband had pancreatitis in about 2008 or 09, and was hospitalised. I didn't know much about it then. He developed another bout in 2011 and spent 6 months in and out of hospital (including having his gall bladder removed). He eventually got the message and quit drinking - for a while. Of course, once he'd been out and "clear" for more than a month, he decided to drink again, and hasn't stopped since, sigh. He told me that the pancreatitis wasn't caused by the alcohol but an allergy to the codeine he was taking for his chronic back pain (true! Apparently it's very rare but can happen).

I personally am waiting for the other shoe to drop, as I too read up on pancreatitis and was blown away with what can happen.

Fingers crossed your son can stay clean.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ownedbypugs....for several years I was the medical co-ordinator of an alcohol program for a large HMO. Many of my patients came to me via an acute attack of pancreatitis. Yes....it is as serious as everyone is saying (and as you know).
The attacks are, also, extrordinarily painful....about like passing a large kidney stone type painful.....
For many of the patients....the bad experience was enough to "scare" them into the treatment program for the first time (ever). Most of them were middle-aged and had been drinking for at least 20 or more years. (a few were young).
Of course, I held their hand through detox and saw them every three days...and followed them verry closely! Even eating a high fat meal can throw them into another attack in the healing period.

My point is this: During the very early phase, after the attack....there is where much progress can be made. While the memory of the pain, etc. is fresh. Strike while the iron is hot....LOL!!
His girlfriend might be willing to go to alanon---which she needs, badly....at this point. Now would be the time for him to start attending AA.

I hope you, as a family, can make use of this very valuable "window" of time.
I am sharing all of this with you for this very purpose....alcoholics seem to make the most progress when they are hurting...(who knew?).

Virtually all of my patients went into treatment.....but, of course, I clung to them like a barnacle....holding them with one hand, and "pushing" them with the other,,,,lol!

dandylion
Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband also had pancreatitis. Now he has chronic pancreatitis.

His journey didn't end the first bout in 2000. I hope your son is truly on board. I hope he goes into a recovery program, and doesn't rely on the fear of illness cause we all know the Alcoholic can rationalize.

My husband 2 years after first attack continued drinking (went from daily to binge his idea of moderation) ended up in a 30 day coma from pancreatitis. At that point it was chronic. This is when he stopped drinking in 2002. After 6 weeks hospitalization it was another 3 weeks in physical rehab to learn how to walk again. Here is what happened AFTER he stopped. The gallbladder was also damaged and he had to go in for ERCP procedures every 3 month for I think 4 years. Eventually they took that out. Then he developed type 1 diabetes (considered a 1 because it was from a damaged pancreas) in 2007. In 2008 he had a modified whipple procedure at Mayo with a double biliary bypass. 3 week hospital stay. When I met him in 2010 He was going into the hospital several times a year with pancreatitis. Along the way he also developed a dependency on pain meds (as I have been schooled in the medical field they prefer the term "dependent" rather than addicted as it separates legal and illegal use of prescription meds). Last year after 12 years of dependency (honestly you couldn't tell if even took them) he decided to come off them.

Now the good news, we have changed his diet completely. Now eat 90% organic. Watch the fats etc he now goes 8 - 12 month between attacks for the last 3 years. We are hoping that now that he has come off the pain meds we see longer lengths if never again. There is a definite improvement in digestive system after coming off the meds. The meds are a necessity when the pancreas is inflamed (btw it is considered the one of most painful disease right below bone cancer), but they are no good for the pancreas either.

Your son needs to pay attention to his diet. Fats are the hardest thing for the body to digest and I have seen my husband end up in the hospital after eating a plate of fried food. Of course he is chronic whereas I doubt your son is - but at least for awhile you son needs to steer clear of fatty, high cholesterol foods.

Please print this off and let your son read it. My husband was sober 10 years and relapsed in 2012. Thankfully it was short all things considered. After the fact he told me he was barfing up a lung daily he hid it well. My husband would kidnap your son if he could to prevent this from happening to him.

Wishing your son Godspeed and many prayers that this is really it for him, and that he lives a healthy and long life free of chronic pancreatitis and diabetes.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Amen to everything that Redatlanta has said.

dandylion
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One my biggest fears during my drinking days was pancreatitis. Fear of it and other health consequences were what gave me the push into sobriety.
Everything I've read about is terrifying. I've known someone who died from it. Serious business. I hope your son recognizes how serious this is and goes into recovery.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello. I used to be on this site a couple of years ago.. I'm back because I relapsed in a big way with alcohol. Without going into my whole story right now I can say that I've had pancreatitis twice. the strange thing is what brings mine on is the withdrawl from alcohol and pain meds.. especially methadone. I swelled from head to toe for months and was in and out of the hospital 7 times in about 2 months coming off of methadone because I kept getting the pancreatitis. I have seen a couple of other stories with similar issues. That disease is certainly nothing to be casual about. I was afraid too when I read about how serious it is... I'll be praying for your son and everyone else who struggles with dependence/addiction, what ever it is called.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Praying he stays alcohol free!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi kddo this is so true what redatlanta says... my hubby too.. have to watch his diet like a hawk or its pop right back to square one.... prayers get some funny cook books on healthy eating.. there is one for Cats... yep I have it.. and cook often from it.. fresh and good for picky sick Cats.. and has my hubby licking the plate.. no kidding... not Cat Food written by a French Lady Chef for her Cats I found it and for 5.00 with 125 pages and good color photos yummmmm... just can't let hubby see the book ahahahahha... it works no kidding.. and tastes great... prayers ardy

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
My husband also had pancreatitis. Now he has chronic pancreatitis.

His journey didn't end the first bout in 2000. I hope your son is truly on board. I hope he goes into a recovery program, and doesn't rely on the fear of illness cause we all know the Alcoholic can rationalize.

My husband 2 years after first attack continued drinking (went from daily to binge his idea of moderation) ended up in a 30 day coma from pancreatitis. At that point it was chronic. This is when he stopped drinking in 2002. After 6 weeks hospitalization it was another 3 weeks in physical rehab to learn how to walk again. Here is what happened AFTER he stopped. The gallbladder was also damaged and he had to go in for ERCP procedures every 3 month for I think 4 years. Eventually they took that out. Then he developed type 1 diabetes (considered a 1 because it was from a damaged pancreas) in 2007. In 2008 he had a modified whipple procedure at Mayo with a double biliary bypass. 3 week hospital stay. When I met him in 2010 He was going into the hospital several times a year with pancreatitis. Along the way he also developed a dependency on pain meds (as I have been schooled in the medical field they prefer the term "dependent" rather than addicted as it separates legal and illegal use of prescription meds). Last year after 12 years of dependency (honestly you couldn't tell if even took them) he decided to come off them.

Now the good news, we have changed his diet completely. Now eat 90% organic. Watch the fats etc he now goes 8 - 12 month between attacks for the last 3 years. We are hoping that now that he has come off the pain meds we see longer lengths if never again. There is a definite improvement in digestive system after coming off the meds. The meds are a necessity when the pancreas is inflamed (btw it is considered the one of most painful disease right below bone cancer), but they are no good for the pancreas either.

Your son needs to pay attention to his diet. Fats are the hardest thing for the body to digest and I have seen my husband end up in the hospital after eating a plate of fried food. Of course he is chronic whereas I doubt your son is - but at least for awhile you son needs to steer clear of fatty, high cholesterol foods.

Please print this off and let your son read it. My husband was sober 10 years and relapsed in 2012. Thankfully it was short all things considered. After the fact he told me he was barfing up a lung daily he hid it well. My husband would kidnap your son if he could to prevent this from happening to him.

Wishing your son Godspeed and many prayers that this is really it for him, and that he lives a healthy and long life free of chronic pancreatitis and diabetes.