Notices

What does living in the solution mean?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does living in the solution mean?

I have heard this phrase used quite a bit on this site. Sorry, but I don't understand it. Is it part of a program or a philosophy of sorts?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's really just a phrase, it could be used multiple ways. To me it would indicate that one is successfully following a plan to stay sober, what ever that plan might be.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think AA's use it to mean focusing on solutions rather than rehashing or dwelling on problems. Basically, positivity. Focusing on what you can actually do to improve your situation.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, it's living in the solution of recovery instead of the problem of active alcoholism. It can mean many things from there, mainly what folks are doing to recover and stay better. Get to and stay in the new shoes we grow into as we develop a sober life.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Working the 12 Steps of AA brought about the MIRACLE of being FREE from the Obsession and Craving cycle of actively drinking. Remaining in that state of FREEDOM requires me to continue working the Daily Steps as a way of life. Step 12 suggests we 'Practice the Principles of the Steps in all our affairs' as a means to staying Sober and Living Life on Life's Terms. We call that 'Living in the Solution'.

If we let events in our life drag us out of our Spiritual Condition and out of Practicing these Principals in all our Affairs, our state of being FREE suffers, and we refer to that as NOT Living in the Solution, but living in the Self-Will that drug us down to the state of Pitiful and Incomprehensible Demoralization.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... It came thru working the 12 Steps, and it remains by Living in the Solution
Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Growing up my Dad had a catch phrase/question - Are you part of the problem or part of the solution>>???

Irritated the heck out of me when he'd ask it cause it came up when there was indeed a problem/issue. But as our other friends have stated it's simply are we moving forward and focusing on the answers or still dwelling on the questions.

Problems or answers - where do we want to spend our time??

Some folks seem to get stuck in the muck and rehash the problem without moving forward. In fairness, some friends have a lot more issue than others which may require a lot more help........

I am not sure this is strictly speaking an AA concept, though the book does talk about The Solution.

Thanks for the thread - you post some lively ones
Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see it as the solution being a sober me so I live the solution by being sober.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Jeff --

This phrase is one I heard not long after joining SR and it resonated more than anything before or since. And that's saying something because there is a lot of wisdom on SR.

I think it may be one that has different meanings to different people. What I can do is share with you what it meant to me:

- For a long time, I knew I had a problem. The solution? Doing something about it.

- Until then, I had made half-assed attempts to moderate. Or denied that I could be "one of those people" because "those people" were so much worse than me. The solution? Recognizing that I am one of "those people." And we're good people. But we cannot drink.

- Like many, I had romanticized drinking. If something is good, wine will make it better. Others can drink and why shouldn't I be able to, too? What did all of that get me? Drinking in isolation so no one would know how bad it had gotten. The solution? Stop looking at booze as something that elevates an experience. Recognize what it had done to me. That is a solemn moment.

- I had begun to fear for my physical health. If you keep drinking long enough, the toll starts to be exacted. The solution? Don't drink.

- I already feared for my mental and emotional health. Alcohol is a depressant, after all. The solution? Don't drink.

- I was so tired. Tired of being hungover. Tired of an ishy stomach. Tired of knowing I wasn't doing my best at work. The solution? Well, I think you know the answer.

Those are just a few examples. It goes a little deeper for me, as well.

I had to take alcohol off the table. Forever. But it had to be more than that. I had to listen to what others here said, find common ground and trust that the seasoned veterans knew what they were talking about.

Alcohol was so embedded in my existence. Living in the solution, for me, began with an unwavering commitment to a life in which booze isn't an option and then filling the void that it had created. I had to find new ways to enjoy myself such as making a commitment to exercise, spending time doing things I enjoy and taking care of myself in ways I had neglected for a long time.

It also meant forgiving myself for the years when so much time was wasted because of alcohol. That has taken time.

I began living. Really living. Embracing a new life. Viewing sobriety not through the lens of "what I cannot have" but the freedom of the life I can live.

Living in the solution -- sobriety, then recovery.

I'm not one for brevity and I enjoy writing. These are "off the top of the head" thoughts and you've inspired me to think about this in greater detail.

My two-year anniversary is in 26 days. You've given me the idea to write more about this as my big day draws closer. Thank you!

I hope that this has given you some insight.

Venecia
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I have heard this phrase used quite a bit on this site. Sorry, but I don't understand it. Is it part of a program or a philosophy of sorts?
In my experience it's primarily an AA/NA, 12-Step program phrase. I can't recall a non-AA/NA member using it.

The solution according to AA/NA is the 12-Steps, and I've always taken it to mean that one should diligently work the 12-Steps (declaring one's powerlessness over alcohol, turning one's will and life over to God, making amends to people harmed, praying on a regular basis and carrying the 12-Step message to other alcoholics) in daily life for the rest of one's life.

Of course, anyone could individualize the phrase to fit their specific solution.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I actually didn't know about its 12-step origins until this thread. You learn something new everyday! Thanks Feenix and others!

To be honest, I don't remember exactly the circumstances but I am thinking that I must first have heard "living in the solution" during an SR meeting; they take place at 8 p.m. CST Tuesday and Friday nights. These are not online AA meetings or rooted in the steps, but I'd say this is certainly an example of how we benefit from the wisdom our AA brothers and sisters bring to SR.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My understanding of the phrase came from the BB:

Chap. 2 Title - p. 17 - "The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism."

p. 25 - "There is a solution." Almost none of us like the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we are approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet. ..."

That last part is what it means, to me, to endeavor each day to "remain in the Solution"; to apply spiritual principles - and to seek out more of them.

Best to All,

PJ
dos 8/98
Old 07-21-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me it's about not focusing on all the things we can't change, the hows, the whys, the what ifs, reserving ourselves to this is it, life is now a wright off because I can't drink and it's inevitable that I'm never going to be able to be Sober.

Whereas being positive about the situation, accepting that we can't drink, being proactive in our decision making, creating a recovery plan and trying to make Sobriety happen, that's a more constructive way forward!!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, living the solution means being proactive in my recovery. All this means really is logging in here every day just like I do Facebook. It's a daily thing.

Tonight I was honestly feeling pretty bored and I'm up late so I thought, why not go on SR and read and post a bit to do my "homework" for the day.

380 days sober or so here and doing my homework every night.

I hear a lot of stories of people who stop doing their "homework" and then start dipping their toe in the alcohol swimming pool.

Some also say they don't have the time to check in here or go to meetings, but the famous response is always Well, you had plenty of time for drinking. 20 minutes to an hour a day here for me is peanuts compared to the amount of time I spent drinking. I firmly believe that the community here and talking to others who have walked the same path has kept me stone sober for a year. And after a year or so, you start to wonder, why in the hell did I even drink in the first place?

I'd never really thought of this, but "living the solution" takes much less time and energy than my drinking ever did. If I put in the same time I did as drinking I'd be logged on here 7 hours every night! Or if you want to count the time nursing hangovers every day I'd be logged in here 14 hours a day.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always thought it sounded like a Dale Carnegie thing - 'be part of the solution, not part of the problem'.

It's good advice no matter where it comes from

D
Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was putting together a new mixtape for myself, my son and maybe Zenchaser here said she would be interested to hear some of my work. Really deep and soulful summery sounds.

Like a lot of these projects I got it to 90% complete, I have scores of them in a similar state. I got knocked off-centre then by conflict and I haven't gotten back, it happens all the time.

The intro for this particular & new musical journey I took from a film 'Pleansantville'. It goes: "A time has come to make a decision. Are we in this thing alone or are we in it together?"

It came about sunbconciously on foot of my family law dates, and uncertainties. However it can be interpreted different ways, so I am saying it has something to do with that (quote).
Old 07-21-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

IMO the philosophy behind it is more important than the origins.
When I stop living in the problem and begin living in the solution, the problem goes away.
What it means to me is if/ when I have a problem, I have a choice. I can stay in the problem. Run around telling everyone about the problem. Get a jillion people giving me suggestions on how to fix the problem. Make the choice to not use the suggestions and stay in the problem. Then the problem gets bigger and bigger. Eventually the problem owns me. It controls me. I do nothing but suffer. People get tired of listening to me about my problem and tell methey aren't gonna listen to my self pity any more. They walk away from me.
But then i decide to live in the solution.I use the advise given.. Use it to fix the problems. Have to put in a lot of work to fix the problem, which IF I would have done way before would have been easier to fix.
eventually the problem is fixed and it goes away. The problem no longer exists.
Because I started living in the solution.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is one of the two things I am trying to understand better, thus the post. The other is playing the tape forward. I hear people say it is very helpful, and I know what it means. But playing the tape forward for me doesn't click yet. I know its supposed to remind me of what lies ahead in terms of guilt and misery. On the flip side, I like playing the tape forward for NOT drinking. Because I see myself waking up early in the morning raring to go, which is very rewarding to me in an of itself.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hi, Jeff --

This phrase is one I heard not long after joining SR and it resonated more than anything before or since. And that's saying something because there is a lot of wisdom on SR.

I think it may be one that has different meanings to different people. What I can do is share with you what it meant to me:

- For a long time, I knew I had a problem. The solution? Doing something about it.

- Until then, I had made half-assed attempts to moderate. Or denied that I could be "one of those people" because "those people" were so much worse than me. The solution? Recognizing that I am one of "those people." And we're good people. But we cannot drink.

- Like many, I had romanticized drinking. If something is good, wine will make it better. Others can drink and why shouldn't I be able to, too? What did all of that get me? Drinking in isolation so no one would know how bad it had gotten. The solution? Stop looking at booze as something that elevates an experience. Recognize what it had done to me. That is a solemn moment.

- I had begun to fear for my physical health. If you keep drinking long enough, the toll starts to be exacted. The solution? Don't drink.

- I already feared for my mental and emotional health. Alcohol is a depressant, after all. The solution? Don't drink.

- I was so tired. Tired of being hungover. Tired of an ishy stomach. Tired of knowing I wasn't doing my best at work. The solution? Well, I think you know the answer.

Those are just a few examples. It goes a little deeper for me, as well.

I had to take alcohol off the table. Forever. But it had to be more than that. I had to listen to what others here said, find common ground and trust that the seasoned veterans knew what they were talking about.

Alcohol was so embedded in my existence. Living in the solution, for me, began with an unwavering commitment to a life in which booze isn't an option and then filling the void that it had created. I had to find new ways to enjoy myself such as making a commitment to exercise, spending time doing things I enjoy and taking care of myself in ways I had neglected for a long time.

It also meant forgiving myself for the years when so much time was wasted because of alcohol. That has taken time.

I began living. Really living. Embracing a new life. Viewing sobriety not through the lens of "what I cannot have" but the freedom of the life I can live.

Living in the solution -- sobriety, then recovery.

I'm not one for brevity and I enjoy writing. These are "off the top of the head" thoughts and you've inspired me to think about this in greater detail.

My two-year anniversary is in 26 days. You've given me the idea to write more about this as my big day draws closer. Thank you!

I hope that this has given you some insight.

Venecia
Beautiful post Venecia, you've articulated things that I've felt so eloquently, I thank you for that. Congratulations on your upcoming 2 year anniversary of a "new beginning" I choose to call it. Looking forward to your posts to the community here as you draw closer to your milestone. c011:
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is one of the two things I am trying to understand better, thus the post. The other is playing the tape forward. I hear people say it is very helpful, and I know what it means. But playing the tape forward for me doesn't click yet. I know its supposed to remind me of what lies ahead in terms of guilt and misery. On the flip side, I like playing the tape forward for NOT drinking. Because I see myself waking up early in the morning raring to go, which is very rewarding to me in an of itself.
Playing the tape is powerful if you are thorough. Be brutally honest with yourself about how bad things can get when you drink. Somehow, the misery has still stuck with me after 2.5 years. I hope I never forget. And for me, Jeff, the inertia and arrested hopes, plans, and dreams were misery enough. As well as the usual ... the falling down drunks, missed appointments, loss of self-control, loss of self-esteem, and loss of trust in myself.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Playing the tape all the way through is the idiom I've heard many times. It means in arrears, not forward. What happened not what might or will happen.

Rewind the tape - and watch it. Remember the lousy things you did and what happened!?!? This keeps it fresh in our mind why we quit.

One final note on solution. The phrase or question - are you part of the problem or the solution must be very old. As I posted earlier my Dad born in 1923 would use this phrase. Maybe it dates back to a WWII or depression Era saying - would not surprise me.

Maybe it's on a recruitment poster somewhere?!!?

If I solve this problem (where did the phrase originate) I will report back the solution (answer!!).

Have a nice day......