Notices

What has worked best for everybody?

Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What has worked best for everybody?

Wondering what others have found most useful in dealing with alcoholism/addiction? AA? Outpatient/Inpatient treatment? Therapy?

My friend is trying to get me to go to AA regularly, but I didn't really like the meeting I went to. Not sure if it's cause I really didn't want to be there or what.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi daybyday

There's no one size fits all solution. You'll find people who had success with all those approaches and more

D
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi
I'm like you, didn't want to go to meetings, mainly cos scared I met someone or was seen.
I'm doing ok with the confidentiality (here in Aus its entirely confidential) of my doctor and some relief medication to help cravings.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I hear you AA wasn't for me either , but I did get a lot of helpful advice the few times I did go . Hobbies to keep your mind off drinking . Things you wanted to try and never have. Most important in recovery stay away from triggers . Those can sneak up on you fast . Person- places & things . Try all that you mentioned . Always keep looking for help it's hard to do it on your own .
Even with my 2 years sober . I can only listen to music for a short time . Loved to dance . I hope one day life will become easier for all that has to fight their demon . All the best to you !!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Dee said.

I attended AA a couple times early on. I did find it helpful. I got to meet people that went through what I did. That was nice. It also was part of my plan to do everything possible to gain control of my life. So I made a plan and took action. That's wasn't what I normally did. So that made a difference for me.

I saw a counselor. Part of my plan to do everything. Felt good to take action and I learned some things along the way.

I am the type that digs into and becomes an expert in something that interests me. I read and read and read. Then I researched and researched and researched. Filling my mind with all that information and inspiration probably had the biggest impact.

I took action to improve other parts of my life. No brainer stuff like drinking more water then ever before. It's now my go to beverage. I eat better then ever before too. I pay attention to what I'm eating and be sure to eat fruits and veggies. That made a huge difference. Along with taking vitamins.

I posted often. I reach out to newbs and cheer them along and offer advise where I can.

I told everyone who is important to me my problem and what I'm doing to stop drinking. It helped with accountability. Even though I had lived a long time lying and hiding my booze, I felt I couldn't lie about what I was doing and if I said I was going to do something, like go to a counselor, I did it.

Meditation helped me big time early on too.

I looked at it this way. If I wanted to quit a very bad addiction, I needed to be peddle to the metal. I needed as many tools in my tool box as possible. And I needed access to, and know how to use, every weapon that is lethal for alcoholism.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober over five years ago with the help of my addiction counselor and daily visits to SR. I no longer see the counselor but still come here often and find great strength here.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

whether you go to church, aa or hang out at the bowling ally,
there is only one thing that works. The desire to stop drinking must be greater than the desire to drink.

For me when I lost my job, I said that I will never allow alcohol to affect my life again. The only way to ensure that was to never drink. I meant it. Haven't drunk since. Any behavioral changes you need to make should also be addressed. Like putting yourself in risky situations that may lead you to drink. I took a lot of time away from my usual norms from when I was drinking. A lot of change had to be made, but the bottom line is to never want another drink.
As soon as you accept that as part of your existence, you are on your way.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know this is a fairly common topic on here, but for all those who have managed to stay sober please do contribute. When you're at the start - like I am - these threads are hugely important. Especially for those who have tried AA but have not seemed to respond to it. (And I have a number of good friends in the program who have been successful, and I have a lot of respect for all it has done, it just has not resonated the way I had hoped).

I know it's a personal journey for everyone, but I would love to hear it all.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A mind set.
I found that my desire to stop drinking was the beginning but I needed to build on that.
I needed support for a alcohol free mindset.
Knowing that alcohol was destroying my desire for a fulfilling life still wasn't enough.
Alcoholism can be so insidious that you don't realize that it has an effect and affects your whole life.
Removing alcohol from your life can mean some tough decisions about family, friends, social life.
I dont believe that you can do to much in the beginning in order to cement your mindset. Along with lots of refresher courses along the way.
Explore everything, try AA, RR, AVRT, SR, addiction counselling, SMART meetings. Find what fits you.
Getting educated about alcoholism helped me.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi daybyday. I feel really fortunate in that on the day I finally quit (after a 4.5 year relapse bender), I truly in my very core knew that if I were to live I needed to quit. I knew it! Knew I was going to die a pitiful old drunk, and it came to me I was so fortunate just to be alive. And I quickly came to see that being a drunk is literally blasphemous to the gift of life, being a drunk is disrespectful to this life I have been given. I'm not a religious person, but I am very connected to the mother earth and the heavens, and I know I have some gifts to share with the world. To get sober I incorporated many AA principles and Women for Sobriety principles along with SR. I never take one single day for granted, complacency does not enter my life any longer. (Back in 2000 I got sober for over 6 years, my relapse was the 4.5 year drunk-I have now been sober over 4 years). I try not to allow resentful feelings to consume me, I'm not likely to settle for any c*ap in my life. I won't tolerate disrespectful behavior towards me or my causes. I live more and more authentically as the years go by. Essentially I am just very thankful to be alive. Sorry this is disjointed, my mini iPad is jerky and hard to deal with today!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome - glad you found SR!!

I am a very social individual and AA helped supplant my bar time. For some of us it helps shorten the day which initially I found important. I have a need to keep my mind occupied and f2f interaction filled this need

One of the traditions of AA - it's a program of attraction and not promotion. Perhaps your friend was a little over zealous due to caring about you.

I am also on SR a lot as well. The global diversity and amazing interactions covering the gamut of addiction is remarkable and very helpful.

I have 13 months sobriety and have no desire to drink. I not struggling but enjoying my journey

You'll find your way if you've accepted that drinking is out and have become willing to change.

Regardless of program , plan or not - I had to stay sober long enough to give myself a chance. That has made all the difference for me.

Welcome and thanks for the post
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

5 weeks of in-patient treatment, a long stay in a half-way house and regular AA attendance and working the steps are what worked for me the first time. This time, after a 3 1/2 year relapse, it's a combination of AA and SR. I was reluctant to go back to AA at first, but I found it's still what I need and I am so glad I went back. I need face-to-face contact with other people like me.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did inpatient rehab, went to AA meetings but no SR. Relapsed after 10.5 months. Drank for a few months and then stopped again. AA and SR, I made a couple of friends in AA and here that I reach out to on a daily basis to check in. To be social. To be accountable. I've learned to reach out before it's too late and don't drink, no matter what. I've got 19.5 months this time and I'm in better mental and spiritual health than before
Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And I didn't like AA at all when I first tried getting sober ten years ago. I've grown to appreciate it. If you've only gone to one meeting I'd suggest checking out a few more before totally writing it off. The same is true of any method you try. Give it a few tries. Our brains want us to think nothing works so why bother. Not true
Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Daybyday. I'm 90 days sober tomorrow and could not have done it without my Class of April 2015. Joining a Class seemed intimidating to me at first, because there are so many people and a lot of people post all the time, but as I stuck with it the group dwindled (unfortunately) over time and there are about a dozen of us that are still together. I've therefore gotten to know the members well. My class members are my accountability. The AV reared it's head very strongly last week and I kept thinking back to my class and what I would have to say to them if I caved. Having those who understand what you are going through and can hold you accountable has been key to my sobriety. Check out the Class of July 2015 in the Newcomer's forum. I wish you the best!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The advice I always give people in your situation: contact your doctor. Be honest with them. Tell them everything. Then let them help you.

I had very few withdrawal symptoms and I quit on my own. Still, one moment in the first days I still contacted my doctor. It's always good to have that connection.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes. Use every resource you can even if you aren't too fond of it.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I use a combination of participation here and AA. Most importantly, I don't take that first drink no matter what. As long as I don't take the first, I can't take the second or third or tenth drink that would almost always follow.

Wishing you the best today...
Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you and I know that there is never just one drink. Ever.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me, it had to be a combination of things. Some people get what they need on SR, or AA meetings. I need a variety of things to keep me focused. I need a daily plan on sober things to do such as SR, AA, the gym, some fun stuff to do, etc. I'm pretty much a type A personality, so I get bored real quick. I need a daily sober plan for me to not drink. Otherwise, the liquor store around the corner looks very appealing. John