Notices

Anger setting in

Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger setting in

It's been 63 days & it's safe to say anger has finally set in. I seem to be upset with everyone. I'm mad at myself. In the past i'd use alcohol to cope with these types of feelings but now i'm angry because i can't do that. I'm staying home today, far from any temptation or the urge to snap on someone for no reason. Anyone else find themselves so pissed off at themselves for letting alcohol take control of their past?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Took me a long time to learn how to feel again, live life in the here and now, in real time emotions/feelings compared to how I used to handle life, I used the emotional pause button of alcohol all the time.

I think we need to reach an acceptance that our issue with alcohol was an addiction, could we have done anything? who knows, probably not, but what we can do is draw a line under it and write a new chapter to our lives on our terms.

Hang in there Pixie, time is a great healer!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Irritability is pretty common in alcoholics and those in early sobriety. Ride it out and it should go away in time....
Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay safe and ride those raging reds my friend, it too shall pass.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very angry with myself when I accepted the situation I had created for myself, very angry. I realized I had to be able to manage the feelings somehow or I wouldn't be able to recover. It's helpful to remember that feelings are just feelings and they do not control you. You can look at them and then let them go. It was also really helpful for me to journal a lot of the negative emotions.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pixie, why not focus on the future you are building for yourself without the alcohol? The past cannot be changed, but we can learn from it to make ourselves better.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two months sober! I was mad at myself too, for getting so addicted to something I'd had trouble with before. But I had to understand that I couldn't change the past, can only make today better. It helped me to finally accept that I can only live in today. I was very good at rehashing the past and worrying about the future.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got mad at the mess i caused too, turn this anger into determination and use it to rebuild

You always have us
Old 07-19-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the great advice & encouragement. Very much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Two months is awesome, I think anger is normal for anyone, drinker or non every so often.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

2 months is something to be very proud of.
Many folks have tried to reach this goal and stumble along the way.
we can't go back and change the past. What's done is done and there's no sense in letting that ruin our future plans.
Funny, but sometimes I think of Spock and the Vulcan mindset.
It's illogical.

In my case alcoholism slowly crept into my life over many years. It wasn't something I was cognitive about. It wasn't until years of abuse that I realized it had fully taken over almost all aspects of my life.
Your body and mind is changing now. It's getting used to life without a crutch.
In the end you are a better person for it.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Resolute50 thanks, you are exactly right. Whats done is done... Similar scenerio here. I knew it was becoming a major problem in my life & it hit pretty hard. To be honest, 1 thing keeping me from touching a drink is that i refuse to start counting from day 1. Sounds silly but it seems to be working. I refuse to cheat on myself. Was just a bit of a low weekend. Happy i connected here with such positive people on SR. Will try my best to make this a daily visit.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by PixieD View Post
Anyone else find themselves so pissed off at themselves for letting alcohol take control of their past?
Oh yes. I found, much to my dismay, that challenging things I experienced while I was drinking had never really rolled off my back as I thought they had. There was a big difference for me in committing to learning alternative methods to deal with life other then going home and opening a bottle of wine. I actually had to process and deal with things!? The relief came when I learned I was capable of handling life as it happened. Not putting it off or wishing it different or gone.

It is safe to say that I spat daggers for a bit. But I was better than OK and you will be as well. We rise to the challenge I believe and we must commit to allowing ourselves the opportunity to do so (and believe me it is an opportunity that pays off big time).

Anyway, you can borrow my cowgirl boots anytime you need. I used to wear them often and now they only come out every now and again.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh Verte thanks for offering your boots! Best of all you made me laugh! Mission accomplished tonight. Happy smiles to end this evening.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

For this part of your journey, Pixie...

Old 07-19-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I had waves of anger that were hard to deal with. Most of the time I couldn't pinpoint a clear reason. I think some of it can be attributed to our brains healing up and throwing us off kilter while doing so. I came across a great site today that talks about dealing with anger issues.

Irrational Ways of Thinking Which Keep You Angry: Projection, Blaming, Grudge Holding, Doomsday Thinking, Revenge Thoughts, Black and White Thinking - article by Dr. Lynne Namka
Old 07-19-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done so far.
I don't get so much angry, more irritable, guess amounts to same, I deal with it by medication prescribed of course.
Maybe just something to settle your nerves....
Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Yes,I've been experiencing it too. I try to go for a walk or run when it happens. You know what would make me angrier though? Being back at day 1. I drank for years and I think it's going to take time for my brain and central nervous system to recalibrate.