Notices

Neighbours !

Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Neighbours !

My one pair of neighbours are a couple just turned 60 and they love (to use their words), "boozing!" They were part of the drink culture that I had emersed myself into since moving here and even have their own seats in one of the local pubs. Bartenders are particular when serving them their favourite ale, so as not to upset them! The pint must be totally spot on!

The man of the pair is called the professor as he is very well educated and is actually a professor! This 'higher intelligence' makes him opinionated and an authority on everything! This can be very annoying and he just doesn't back down from an argument, making his wife very embarrassed.

Since I quit drinking and hanging out with them and others, this has clearly rattled a few people, him included. He once said to me that he doesn't trust those "who don't drink!", well he has said this to my partner on more than one occasion. Things like "what has happened to her?" "Why is she not drinking and being miserable" etc and of course "you know I can't trust anyone who doesn't drink!"

It appears that my non drinking has really come to grate on this seemingly intelligent man, so much so that he happened to catch me out front of the house on Friday and just had to let it sall out as he had been "boozing" at the pub earlier, so his inhabit ions were gone and I was a sitting sober duck!

I could smell beer a mile away and could actually smell he was there before I saw him! I said hi and he beckoned me to where he was standing. He started off nice enough and advised me he was retiring next month as his dad had left him money in his will etc and then it started!
"So why are you not drinking?"
I replied that my drinking had got out of hand and I just don't know what I saw in any of it as I had been free from it for 9 months now! He then started moaning about how he found it odd and bragged about being able to afford spending even more than their £600 quota per month with his inheritance money!
I stood and listened and said that I just didn't want alcohol anymore and wouldn't be drinking again as I had found there was more to life and was actually doing things I had always wanted to do including awaiting delivery of one of my dream cars! He asked what I was having and when I told him, he said "I will grow out of that!" And would soon be back "boozing!"
He then said: "well you still look miserable and as overweight as ever, so I think I will keep drinking!"
I then said: "well for once, you are talking about something you don't understand as you are a drinker and I am an ex drinker and for your information, I can deal with anything now I no longer drink and I have lost over a stone in weight!"

His wife cringed in the background and I made my excuses and went inside. Why oh why he is he so obsessed in my business!

Who is really the intelligent one?

Sorry but I just had to share. Feeling annoyed!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

He sounds more arrogant than intelligent to me.

'Never trust a non drinker' was one of mine when I was arrogantly pontificating from my bar stool -so was 'you'll be back'

Such boorish braggadocio bore no correlation to the pain & fear I was actually feeling inside....

I suspect this guy is also both scared and in pain.

All empathy aside tho - if someone told me I looked 'miserable and overweight'? that would be our last communication....

Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry about your encounter, Bug. It's clear that Professor Smartypants is feeling pretty defensive about his own drinking. That's something that is so common as to be a cliche. Your rejection of drinking forces him to examine his own drinking, and the results make him uncomfortable. He's not trying to convince you so much as make himself feel better. If you can be convinced to drink it means his own drinking must not be so bad.

I know you're angry at him but he deserves your pity more than your anger. Sixty years old and he's still not very self aware. Poor man!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to say I never trust a non-drinker too. However, I wasn't referring to recovering alcoholics. They got my 'respect' so to say because they were hardcore but obviously needed to stop. It was the people who never drank at all at any point that irked me.

Of course, that kind of bravado left me long ago. Losing everything to alcoholism tends to enlighten such thinking. It's sounds as though this professor may be trying to justify his drinking knowing deep down he too has a problem.

Don't let him get to you!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

He is clearly feeling very insecure about his lifestyle Buggirl, his "intelligence" obviously doesn't run to insight or self knowledge.

You have successfully changed your lifestyle and this directly contradicts his received wisdom/world view so in (inaccurately) trying to run you down he is attempting to deny reality.

He actually sounds quite a pathetic person Buggirl - spending a legacy on booze, classy
Old 07-19-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Smile

I think you've rattled his cage Buggirl... He is probably more envious than anything else.
Ignore the old geezer; you are doing great!
Old 07-19-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hang on!

All I see is a chronically insecure trust fund boor bullying others into approving his facade. I spent years in academia dealing with children like him. I even had an Irish advisor who acted the same way. Boy did he love his Jamesons and insults.

I shake my head and walk away from losers like that. Engage them and they gain power. Disengage and they are defeated.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go to your local thrift store or whatever you call a five and dime store (they don't make them here anymore). Pick up a small mirror and carry it with you. Next time he approaches you in his drunkenness and asks why you don't drink, take out the mirror and hand it to him so that he sees himself and say, "This is why I don't want to drink anymore." And turn and walk away. But make sure his wife is there too. If she isn't there it won't work.

That or else just ignore this 'person' completely.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I literally had to pray for my neighbors
back in Houston where Iived with my
little family for 10 yrs.

I already had the odds stacked against
me because not only did I not want to
leave my home of Baton Rouge but I
also left my AA support and recovery
family that took me 7 yrs to finally get
comfortable with.

I disliked one of my neighbors for 10
long freakin yrs as I tried to be nice
and considerate to them but it never
lasted.

There were so many times I fought
this battle on my own as the rest of
my family was to busy to get involved
in this petty issue.

I wanted to be home in Baton Rouge
more than anything and as long as I
felt I had no way out the more miserable
I was.

Here I was praying, working my program,
trying to be supportive to my little family
as they went on their merrily busily life, my
battle with the neighbors took its toll on
me mentally, spiritually, verbally, emotionally,
as well as physically.

I recall getting in my car heading to a park
to jog and literally screaming to the hilt like
I had never done before. I screamed soooo
loud with anger, frustration, sooo beaten
down to the heavens for help, guidance
as I continued to turn my will and life over
to my HP.

It took 10 long yrs. incorporating my
recovery tools and knowledge in all
areas of my life, doing the foot work
to finally get a reprieve.

First I had no idea how I would leave
my 25 yr marriage. What kind of job
would I do to support myself when the
only experience I had was jobs I had in
the past, bank teller, service work, sales,
full time mom, wife 2 yrs college.

I wanted to go home soooo bad and out
of my marriage that I applied to bank teller
positions there in Houston and in Baton
Rouge, where I finally got a nibble.

In my daily prayers I asked for guidance,
and would do whatever my HP would want
me to do. My HP finally answered my prayers
and allowed me to come home to BR on a
Bank Teller job ticket.

My then husband helped me to return
home and we ended our 25 yr. marriage
peacefully.

My marriage lacked communication and
understanding from family members who
didn't understand addiction and recovery
because they did not have addiction problems.

They were the nommies in our family and
their jobs and school were their top priorites
in life. My petty struggles with neighbors
was all mine. The only way to escape that
horrible situation was to Let Go and Let My
HP guide me, protect me and save me.

And He did.

As long as I keep what's so important
First in my life, remaining sober, incorporating
tools and knowledge of a recovery program
in all areas of my life, have Faith in my HP
for guidance, protection, love and care,
then I will be taken care of. It may not be
in my time that it does, but in His time that
it will actually happen.

And my move did happen when the family
nest was empty and I was safely able to exit
without all that extra drama.

It Works If I Work It.

Meaning, my life works as long as I
continue to live my recovery program
taught to me 24 yrs ago.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
..even have their own seats in one of the local pubs. Bartenders are particular when serving them their favourite ale, so as not to upset them! The pint must be totally spot on!
LOL! Thanks for bringing back memories of my pub days. I remember those people who had those very particular demands because they were real regulars. I knew one guy who had his own special mugs kept in a freezer only for his own use in multiple pubs around town. Looking back, life must be pretty pathetic if those are the things that hold meaning. They can have their bar stools; I'll be outside enjoying life.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Troubled man.

Really well handled on you end.

An easy way to stop/win an argument about ones personal choices (assuming such choices are ethical etc) is to make the statement that what one is doing makes one happy.

You did this when you affirmed you found out there was "more to life and you were doing things you always wanted to do".

His put down after losing the argument on logic (no way for the professor to argue against your decision to be happier and more fulfilled) is a classic technique (well illustrated in the bar seen in Good Will Hunting).

You should be proud of how you reacted and responded to being bullied.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Time to give this guy a wide berth from now on I think.

He only thinks he's intelligent, but the reality is he's way off the mark when it comes to the topic of alcohol.

Very well handled Buggirl!! Hang in there!!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What a jerk! Avoid him like the plague. He's not as smart as he thinks.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Go to your local thrift store or whatever you call a five and dime store (they don't make them here anymore). Pick up a small mirror and carry it with you. Next time he approaches you in his drunkenness and asks why you don't drink, take out the mirror and hand it to him so that he sees himself and say, "This is why I don't want to drink anymore." And turn and walk away. But make sure his wife is there too. If she isn't there it won't work.

That or else just ignore this 'person' completely.
Classic!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with others that he is trying to deflect his own deficiencies by minimizing your accomplishments. He redirecting what he probably knows deep down is a problem for him, but is too "smart" (since he's a professor and all) to admit them. Great job on your part. Enjoy your dream car! May I ask what you bought?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Control the frame, control the interaction

In NLP they talk about "Frame", everybody views reality through their own lenses, that is to say they "Frame reality" through their own beliefs and more importantly their own self concept....

In personal interactions, those with the stronger frame control the interaction simply because the other person gets drawn into the stronger frame. Control the frame and you control the interaction...

I would view this as an opportunity to practice frame control with this little geezer......

Your frame or self concept could be "I'm sober, fun, positive and my life is a drama free zone". Stay in that reality...

Frame his behaviour as "silly and funny and not to be taken seriously"

A trick or two not to get pulled into his reality:
1. Do not answer his questions directly! You're showing him too much respect and supplicating to him everytime you give him an answer or justify yourself.....you will keep your frame and drive him nuts....this takes discipline and practice...
Him 'why don't you drink anymore?' You 'you're funny'
Him 'sobriety is boo' You 'you look really well. Had you been sick lately?"

2. "Approve" things that he says......do this slightly sarcasticly with a **** eating grin on your face. He'll be soon seeking YOUR validation and at the same time won't be too sure if your playing with him or not
Him 'I'm pissed drunk already', You 'that's awesome!!'
Him 'I spent more than my 600 quota on beer' you 'wow, you must be so proud!'
Him 'random **** comment' You 'that's so interesting!'

Again you are framing him as "the profesor, someone intelligent", change that frame! "he's a silly, stupid, littly bratty boy" ......not to be taken seriously..

as for the comment about your weight...he's trying to invalidate you by attacking your self-esteem. You could slip in a few barbed comments of your own if you wanted.....
take out a pack of tic-tacs and hand them to him 'have you been eating garlic, old man?'
Or in response to a nasty comment, laugh and say 'jesus, you STINK man'
'is that a wig you're wearing?' or if he's going bald 'jesus man, you're down to two hairs on your dome, have you tried Rogaine?'
while he's insulting you, stare down at his legs 'is one of your legs bigger than the other pops?" and walk away
"what's up with your shoes? are they prescription shoes?"
while he's insulting you, look at his nose "hey do you know you can get an electric tweezers for that nose hair? it's going all curly man. that's bizare"
"did you get dressed in the dark today? you did, didn't you? you've got your wife's shirt on you tool!"
while insulting you "oh ****! you've put your wife's false teeth in man"

No use in saying 'ignore him' as he's your neighbour and you 'hang with him'? So have fun with it
Old 07-19-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Seems like a pretty classic case of someone using their supposed intelligence in service of their AV. Hemingway was famous for using the line "I never trust a non-drinker." Well, his middle age was spent in alcoholic ill health and depression culminating in suicide. Best to avoid the nutty professor in the future.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice and kind words folks! Oh and the dream car is perhaps a little modest for some, it's a VW Polo GTi ! My other dream car is a vw beetle 1966 and I already have one of those. I am fortunate enough to have dream cars that are not £100,000's!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep it sober, I know I will!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeryJames View Post
In NLP they talk about "Frame", everybody views reality through their own lenses, that is to say they "Frame reality" through their own beliefs and more importantly their own self concept....

In personal interactions, those with the stronger frame control the interaction simply because the other person gets drawn into the stronger frame. Control the frame and you control the interaction...

I would view this as an opportunity to practice frame control with this little geezer......

Your frame or self concept could be "I'm sober, fun, positive and my life is a drama free zone". Stay in that reality...

Frame his behaviour as "silly and funny and not to be taken seriously"

A trick or two not to get pulled into his reality:
1. Do not answer his questions directly! You're showing him too much respect and supplicating to him everytime you give him an answer or justify yourself.....you will keep your frame and drive him nuts....this takes discipline and practice...
Him 'why don't you drink anymore?' You 'you're funny'
Him 'sobriety is boo' You 'you look really well. Had you been sick lately?"

2. "Approve" things that he says......do this slightly sarcasticly with a **** eating grin on your face. He'll be soon seeking YOUR validation and at the same time won't be too sure if your playing with him or not
Him 'I'm pissed drunk already', You 'that's awesome!!'
Him 'I spent more than my 600 quota on beer' you 'wow, you must be so proud!'
Him 'random **** comment' You 'that's so interesting!'

Again you are framing him as "the profesor, someone intelligent", change that frame! "he's a silly, stupid, littly bratty boy" ......not to be taken seriously..

as for the comment about your weight...he's trying to invalidate you by attacking your self-esteem. You could slip in a few barbed comments of your own if you wanted.....
take out a pack of tic-tacs and hand them to him 'have you been eating garlic, old man?'
Or in response to a nasty comment, laugh and say 'jesus, you STINK man'
'is that a wig you're wearing?' or if he's going bald 'jesus man, you're down to two hairs on your dome, have you tried Rogaine?'
while he's insulting you, stare down at his legs 'is one of your legs bigger than the other pops?" and walk away
"what's up with your shoes? are they prescription shoes?"
while he's insulting you, look at his nose "hey do you know you can get an electric tweezers for that nose hair? it's going all curly man. that's bizare"
"did you get dressed in the dark today? you did, didn't you? you've got your wife's shirt on you tool!"
while insulting you "oh ****! you've put your wife's false teeth in man"

No use in saying 'ignore him' as he's your neighbour and you 'hang with him'? So have fun with it
Oh I read that wrong, I thought you were still hanging out with him

...But you quit drinking AND hanging out with him In that case ignore like others have said

All the best!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry that happened Bug im a big believer in karma he'l get whats coming to him