Notices

Wow

Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow

Hello all. I think I just need to vent a little. Sober since January 1, non-smoker since July 2. I don't know how I'm not picking either up right now.

Living with my older brother since last April. He's been unemployed since this April, so I pay 100% of the rent and utilities. Discovered he was stealing money and medication from my bedroom while I'm at work last week. I bought a lockbox and have been storing those and other things (and checking my inventory every day to see if he's been able to get into it). Having to hide things in my own home from a family member sucks. I haven't confronted him yet.

Mom and younger sister live downstairs. Mom doesn't understand why I can't just let it go and move on. I want one of us to move out and I've even offered to be that person so that he isn't inconvenienced, but she thinks I should wait until he's employed. She also thinks we should "talk." She hasn't acknowledged how hurt I am by his actions at all. I spend a lot of my free time helping her out with errands and cleaning projects, I pay her veterinary expenses. I've idolized my mother for years. So I'm very deeply hurt by her choice to worry about and support my thieving brother. And I want to drink/smoke, but...I haven't. I can't.

I'm hurting today. The last week or so has been full of hurt and today has pushed my brain over the edge. I don't know how to move forward right now. It hurts.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scrappy
That sounds pretty rough.

I think you should do what's best for you, not what's best for your brother.

D
Old 07-18-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sure is a difficult situation. Was your mum supportive of you with quitting drinking and cigs? May just be she is offering the same extra chances to the younger brother. Not saying I excuse his behaviour or that you should have to tolerate it. Just suggesting perhaps it is something in her nature.

At least you came here rather than caved in. It shows you don't really want to cave in and have something you just need some support to get you through the difficult time. We both know a few drinks and smokes and both would be very hard to kick again after making your life way tougher than it is now.

Not sure what I can actually advice because it is an upsetting situation and is something I would be very very angry about too.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can't be easy Scrappy!!

I think though you gotta do what's right for you!!

Hang in there!!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry Scrappy, do whats right for you
Old 07-18-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for replying. Mom was supportive of both decisions.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for replying. It is my intention to do what's best for me. I've let people get away with taking advantage of me in the past and I'd like to stop being that person. It just hurts that I have so little support and am even being villainized for my choices. It hurts to know my mom values the happiness of my brother over mine.