Notices

2 Weeks, 3 Days

Old 07-18-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Weeks, 3 Days

Today I'm 2 weeks and 3 days sober and things are looking better and better. I hardly think about drinking. I feel much better and my cognitive functioning is improving quicker and quicker.

I just read my first thread on this forum: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oing-quit.html

Two things are interesting. First of all, I don't recognize myself in that anymore. It's like it was written by someone else.

That may be one of the greatest gifts sobriety has given me: I'm turning back into my original self.

The second thing is that it seems like I wrote that MUCH longer ago than I actually did. Alcohol distorts your experience of time. The 5 years that I was drinking, I was mostly living in a daze or blacked out. You register very little of it. Those 5 years seem like they flew by. What a waste!

When sober, you're aware and in touch with reality all the time and you get to experience everything again. Which makes it so a week seems very long compared to the way it flies by almost unnoticed when drunk.

That's a good thing. You can fill your life with fun and useful things.

Regarding that, I've been active, doing well at work and have a lot of fun. Today I'm going to the movies. Something I wouldn't have done before.

Also, there's a girl I'm considering asking out. I really like her and we have a good connection. It's been a while. I've been single since a couple of years before I started drinking. And I'm certain of two things. Had I been in a relationship, I wouldn't have developed a drinking problem. And if I never had a drinking problem, I would have been married by now.

But that's the past. Learn from it, move on. Focus on the future.

Life is good.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome, JF! You're right, booze distorts your sense of time. I'm glad you're starting to feel like your old self again.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on 2 weeks , 3 days. Keep it up, i know the feeling. Isn't it great to meet your old self for the 1st time again as a sober person. Thats something i'm loving right now as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats JF
Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great positive post!
I found my perception of time also changed greatly.

So many interesting things to do sober, and finally, "time" to do them in
Old 07-18-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey man, good for you. I took great pleasure in reading that post. Just keep it going and see what happens. So far it sounds like you've been pretty pleased with your sobriety. And hey, that girl will probably like you and you won't eff it up with booze. I can relate to that situation, years ago I really like this girl at work, and I was and still am serious about work, but my personal life was a mess. I knew if I started dating her, I would end up blowing it, because she only knew me from work. Never did ask her out and still think about it often. don't get me wrong, I'm currently married and love my wife. But I can relate to your situation. Rock on JerryFish.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Keep on keeping on, JerryF. Congrats on 17 days.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic Jerry!! Keep pushing through!!