Addiction Counselling

Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction Counselling

What are peoples thoughts about it?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

For me, brief addiction counseling allowed me to draw up a sobriety PLAN. The meat and potatoes of it was in EXECUTING the plan. Without deviation. Every day. Without fail.

Six year later I still take daily action to follow my sobriety plan. It is the most important thing in my life.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi Stratman1!

I think that addiction counselling can be an invaluable tool in our recovery. We have a lot more going on than the "normie" who seeks counselling and it is really beneficial to have someone who understands what challenges we face due to our addiction.

I am so grateful for the addiction focused counselling I have had in the past, including the education about what was going on in my brain (unbeknownst to me) regarding addiction.

Knowledge really is power!

Old 07-16-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And were you drinking/taking drugs at the time Mfanch?

Thats what I don't understand. I have been sober for over a year and haven't experimented with any drugs in several years.

I'm labouring intensely with chronic insomnia here caused by stress (as I often am going back most of my life) and I got a recommendation for addiction counselling.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to your Dr about insomnia there is help avalible
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What do you think? Do you still have addictive thoughts? Your drinking the other night would suggest you might. What's the worst thing that can happen...you will most likely learn something about yourself at the very least.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, didn't you just drink quite recently, Strat?

Addiction counseling is a goal-oriented, shorter term treatment that can teach you very useful tools to deal with your own version of addiction(s). A large part is focused on teaching you to identify thoughts and feelings that relate to behavior, and how to modify the way you deal with all this. This is basically the core of it, but of course the different counselors will put it in the context of their own orientation.

Something else to perhaps consider, don't know if you thought about it, is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). Not sure what is available where you are; where I am it's typically a shorter term program that involves different therapeutic components. It's designed to help you cope with stress and emotional fluctuations, including internal conflicts. It teaches new practical skills how to react to these and function better. I did not use it myself but know someone who is a practitioner and I also know quite a few people who used it and they seem to benefit from it, some even want to do it over and over again as reminders.

These methods are focused on skills training and behavior modification and will not go very deeply into addressing personal issues, especially not in a temporal way. But they can give you a good structure to work with, specific practical things to try, and also accountability and external supervision for a while.

The addictions counseling might be a good place to start, see what happens? Perhaps it would also help you figure out what other kinds of treatment/support might be beneficial for you.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I saw an addiction counselor for several years and found her to be very helpful.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Well, didn't you just drink quite recently, Strat?
I had a drink on saturday to relieve my suffering. I don't know why he skipped over my chronic insomnia and also the reason why I made the appointment which is the lifetime of subtle and covert abuse I've been coming to terms with. I was hoping to get some help but.

I didn't say 'I need help because I'm addicted to creme eggs' at any point, although obviously my file say's I went through alcohol detox 7 years ago. He was only interested in my file and not the person in front of him, who is clearly suffering (again, not creme-egg related)
Old 07-16-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stratman, I don't know if addiction counselling would be helpful for you or not. What I do know is that stopping drinking is just the beginning of recovery. For me, I had to do a lot of work on myself and change my thinking and perspective on life.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's really time, and has been time for a while, that you get serious about your situation.

You drank the other night. The reasons why you drank may be of some personal interest, but you still drank. Downplaying it as a one-off doesn't change that, and solves nothing.

You've intermittently talked about suicide though, granted, you did not state that you had a plan (as I recall), but suicidal thinking is suicidal thinking, and indicates that there is something very wrong, very disturbing, going on.

You started a thread that indicated that you went out to drink, and didn't clarify any of it until the next day, despite several requests that you do so. You went for a walk. This was immediately before you actually did go out and drink. .

You've made it clear that you're a prisoner in your own home, or whoever's home it is. This alone indicates high levels of stress, and ongoing and extreme anxiety. Each of those alone is more than enough to induce chronic insomnia, if not also depression. .

You've both demonstrated and commented on erratic thinking and behaviors. Again, enough to produce chronic insomnia.

You had some sort of intake interview within the past three months, medical or mental health, you never it made clear. You responded in the negative when asked about depression because you happened to be feeling better than you had for many months, years, even. Yet another indication of your resistance to getting help.

You ask for help and guidance here, yet you turn away virtually all suggestions. You have plenty of reasons why you can't or won't do something on your own behalf, and few good reasons to actually do something.

When you feel pressure around getting help, you claim that you don't know how to do it -- "it" being anything to get yourself help -- and that because of your background and upbringing you have little-to-no experience in taking care of yourself. You essentially present yourself as helpless.

You get easily riled when anyone (me, for example) offers anything other than unconditional love and support. Instead of doing something for yourself, you post terse remarks in response to comments that recommend you get serious about doing something about your condition. Where has that gotten you?

Months ago, many of us recommended therapy for what grew into a mounting list of emotional and psychological issues that you've commented on. Still nothing on your part. And now you question addiction counseling on the premise that you've "been sober for over a year and haven't experimented with any drugs in several years."

I can tell you that going over and over again, in great detail, the ways in which you've been victimized throughout your life is probably not the best way to get through it, to manage what you refer to as PTSD, to get yourself to a better place. Your history screams that this has not and does not work. You always end up in the same place with it. Yet you persist.

I can also tell you that declining help of any type is also probably not the best way to get the help you need.

If you don't ask yourself, I'll do it instead: What is it that you're looking for or hoping to get from the people on SR that you haven't already gotten?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Being a newcomer here and just this week entered an IOP substance abuse (alcohol) program I'm not too qualified to respond, but after two sessions I'm trying to be optimistic that the program can have long range benefits. I'm not sold yet but keeping an open mind. They feel I need 8 weeks minimum or 24 sessions.

Many people I've already met there seem to think it's beneficial and have been with the program for many weeks, and one woman "graduated" out of the program, she had been attending since April 2015.

I think if it's covered by insurance it's a good option, not sure I would pay for it.

I also feel I get just as much being involved here for the short time I've been here.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, what could be a way to somehow snap out of what's holding you back and that finally led you back to drinking as well? To overcome this massive resistance despite your claiming a seemingly endless story of hardships here on SR? And try any form of f2f help? To just make an appointment, and go? I know, remember you had a bad experience once in the past, but that was pretty extreme and more likely bad luck, there is a very high level of probability it would not repeat itself if you tried again. Or try the IOP type thing as toadie mentioned, or some other group thing, if you are afraid of one-on-one and weather one single person could help you.

I keep responding to your posts every now and then... you know why? Not simply because I want to say something potentially helpful, but because I find you quite interesting, the whole package, with everything you present here. Not because I relate much, but because you are interesting to listen to. I am sure you could find others IRL that would feel similarly and that could connect with you, given that you don't reject them and their ideas from the first second or after a few superficial exchanges. There is also the thing that if one does not work or you don't feel comfortable, you don't need to stick with it forever and can try something else. It's just that first step, and perhaps a little more initial discomfort.

As I said before, I think the addiction counseling might be a good start as it would immediately focus on something very relevant and here & now for you. My suggestion will now be that you don't complicate it too much, try not to think about your entire universe and how to figure that out as that is clearly disturbing and scary for you. Instead, maybe focus on what is very here and now: that you do have an addiction problem that you struggle with. Everything else will unfold if you let it. But drinking or drugging will not relieve your suffering, ever.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can never have too many tools in the toolbox, or too many parts to your plan Strat, if it's something that your thinking about, it might be an idea to try it out and you never know it could be really helpful!!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

'Born Into This'

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Well, what could be a way to somehow snap out of what's holding you back and that finally led you back to drinking as well?
How can I snap out of what is a lifetime of abuse Haennie? Physical, emotional, psychological. Persistant, consistent, pervasive, insidious it was just constant. Some of that still goes on today and is in the process of being transferred now to the next generation. Does nobody else care about that except me? Because, that is all I care about. Obviously I have to try and keep myself sane and healthy to even try to stop it and thats what I am looking for help with (all of it). Then my own childhood trauma's, neglect and abandonment. Being hungry, being lost. My parents drank a good bit when I was younger especially my mother who is an absolute fraud, liar, thief and worse. Those are the factors I now realise that has brought me to me knee's today. It didn't happen overnight it has been a very gradual decline. For 14 years now I have been presenting myself to doctors with these symptoms and they have gotten worse and worse. That is why today was a bad trip. Same town, same symptoms except for that day I paid the doctor in cash and didn't have any money left to eat. But I still walked away feeling confused and unable to cope. At least then I still had my whole life ahead of me, insomnia was my only worry. Now my only goal in life is to prevent it from happening again in some ways, and I am absolutely flummoxed if I stand alone in that.

Anyway I'm not complaining. I realise that nobody has any duty or obligation to help me get my life together and obviously not because nobody ever has as far as I'm aware. I'm obviously tarred with the same brush as my parents no matter what I do or don't do, it's the only thing that makes any sense to me. But unlike my mother I will never beg, plead, cry and concoct false stories in order to garner sympathy and a pass in life. I will gladly destroy myself before stooping so low (funny that isn't it?). Sober as a judge here and I know that I need intense counselling and support around my past and about the future. I know this, but I also know its unlikely after half my life of looking for the same (even though I didn't know consciously what it was I was looking for). I was hoping they might take me inpatient today where I could maybe get that support, because I don't know where else I could get it? Certainly not at home, omg, what more can I even say on SR about that part. If there was a way for me to 'snap out of' what I have briefly described to you overnight, and believe me I have looked for ways, I would still need compassionate advice and support from that point on so as to not fall back into the exact same negative cycles again (which is what happened). Like I said though, being a realist, all signs are on it at after so long now that I am never going to get that. I see other's getting all the help they need with all of their problems all of time as an aside, yet here I am still stuck in the same physical and mental patterns as when I was teenager despite as I've mentioned elsewhere my very best efforts. I'm basically doomed aren't I?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post

I see other's getting all the help they need with all of their problems all of time as an aside, yet here I am still stuck in the same physical and mental patterns as when I was teenager despite as I've mentioned elsewhere my very best efforts.
Well, it sounds like you could use some new skills, but you already knew this. Put 'new skills' on your list. Excellent goal. IMHO, an addiction therapist is a great start, as using substances to manage your life is an option that you still have on the table.

I'm basically doomed aren't I?
Have you ever walked into the office of a healthcare professional and heard the words, Mr. Stratman, you are basically doomed? Do you think you need to be inpatient? If you were not able to discuss the insomnia concerns yesterday, how about placing a call to the psychiatrist's office and letting him know that you are really concerned about your experience with insomnia and ask for suggestions that you have not yet tried. Alternatively, what type of urgent or emergency services are available if you think you need them?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
Well, it sounds like you could use some new skills, but you already knew this. Put 'new skills' on your list. Excellent goal. IMHO, an addiction therapist is a great start, as using substances to manage your life is an option that you still have on the table.

Have you ever walked into the office of a healthcare professional and heard the words, Mr. Stratman, you are basically doomed? Do you think you need to be inpatient? If you were not able to discuss the insomnia concerns yesterday, how about placing a call to the psychiatrist's office and letting him know that you are really concerned about your experience with insomnia and ask for suggestions that you have not yet tried. Alternatively, what type of urgent or emergency services are available if you think you need them?
That option is always on the table for everyone, Verte. Alcohol is available anywhere and everywhere.

No I have never heard that. It's just the impression I get because I am constantly and needlessly suffering. Nobody can ever say that I never looked for help or tried to help myself, that is literally all I have ever done. My entire life has been a struggle wether I was winning or losing at that. I did discuss it with him, he just wasn't interested. Brought it up at the end again and he gave me a spiel about excercise. Omg man, its the same thing happening all over again. Words are no use to me & I captained 2 football teams as an aside.

I might really would benefit from inpatient. I'm sober, I'm on the ball, I'm not looking to destroy myself and I could really use some sane people to talk to for more than 2 minutes. I could really use some compassion Verte after 14 years of this, it is something I have in buckets myself and I am just not able for this endless struggle anymore. Haennie spoke about an endless story of hardships, I have discussed hardly any. It has been endless, I have never know peace for any length. Alcohol is the emergency service for me basically.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Stratman,

My experience with the UK health system is very limited. I just googled 'UK mental health services' to learn a little bit and compare to the US system and some great looking UK resource groups and 24-hour phone numbers popped up.

I still think that giving the Doc a call (that you spoke with yesterday) is a good idea. Hang in there.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Do you still have addictive thoughts?
No, I don't got Scott. I've got a bunch of problems.

Fear, anxiety, insomnia, stress.

Homelessness & hardships.

I seem to have beaten clinical depression and post traumatic stress disorder on my own, it wasn't easy.

I ended up a chronic alcoholic as a result. I would appear to have all but beaten that too, much easier than the above.

Now I am left with the exact symptoms I started out with and they are dictating my life as they were then, that's the strange part. That is a long time guys.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stratman you have actually spelled out your own problem:

yet here I am still stuck in the same physical and mental patterns as when I was teenager
But now I am left with the exact same symptoms I started out with and they are completely dictating my life now as they were then, that's the strange part.
Do you see that? You are living the same way you were when you were a teenager so therefore you are feeling the same things.

If this pattern is to be altered something has to change and the only person who can make that change is you.

Frightening as it is you have to decide to do something differently. That could be moving away. I would suggest that staying is not helping your son, building a new life would help him.

Or you could do as Verte suggested, you could ring the doctor's office and mention the insomnia.

Or you could do as Dee suggested and employ a new way of dealing with stress.

Or do as the doctor suggested and go outside for some exercise.

Today try one thing from the list that has been suggested. One thing will fire of a chain reaction of change.