Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Nine Day Ones, Eight Monthly Classes, and (Finally) Seventy Days Sober

Notices

A Tale of Nine Day Ones, Eight Monthly Classes, and (Finally) Seventy Days Sober

Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So it’s after midnight which makes it day 70 sober in a row for me, meaning this is now officially the longest period of continuous sobriety I’ve had since I took my first drink back in April 1999.

Sorry in advance for this long post. I’m mostly writing this for myself as I’ve spent the last couple of days looking over my old posting history here on SR and found some stuff that was interesting to me about my old patterns of relapse. Congratulations in advance to anyone else who makes it through this rambling mess...

I took my first drink ever on April 3, 1999. I was 24-years old. That's a story for another day. I'd say I was definitely drinking alcoholically within the first six months after that and it was probably sooner than that.

I went to my first AA meeting on July 22, 2002. I was in a bad bad place in my life. I was going to the bar every single evening and night for six to eight hours at a time and spending hundreds of dollars a week that I didn’t have to spend. I was blacking out at times and woke up nearly every day with regrets of some sort about something I’d done the night before. I’d lost my job of near-eleven years in part because of my drinking. I was a mess. I think I lasted 20 days that time before I was back at the bars full-time.

Since that day thirteen years ago, I’m estimating I’ve decided to quit drinking on average at least once a week. Sometimes I might have gone a month or two without saying, “I’m never drinking again” but sometimes I’d say it for ten or twelve days in a row, always changing my mind by six or seven in the evening. I think once a week is a fair average. So that’s 13 years times 52 weeks a year, or around 676 Day Ones. I actually think the real figure is more, probably not exaggerating too much when I say it was over a thousand times of swearing "I'm never drinking again."

Had a lot of lows during those thirteen years—a DWI in 2004, couple of other alcohol-related arrests, lost that long-term job in 2002, lost two other jobs much later and should have gone to prison for stealing large amounts of money from them but wasn’t charged for whatever reason that I still can't fathom, lost a few great friendships and screwed up a lot of dating relationships as well. But despite all those bottoms, I still kept piling up a lot more day ones than day 10s or 30s. I could many times make it to day ten or twelve and three or four times over the years actually made it a month sober, but I also had a ridiculous number of weeks of five "day ones" in a row.

I did have a couple of stints of 53 days sober back in 2003 and 2005 but they were both mainly because I was in legal trouble that kept me from drinking without severe consequences at the time. As soon as those legal restrictions were lifted, I was right back at my regular bars.

So while I’m not sure how many actual day ones I’ve had over the years, what I do know for sure is I’ve had at least nine Day Ones in eight different monthly classes since I discovered SR on July 22, 2013. Here they are:

Day One #1 — Class of July 2013 -- joined on July 22, 2013

I was three days sober when I joined SR on July 22, 2013. (My very first post linked above.) A couple of weeks earlier I’d stolen a bunch of jewelry from my stepmother and pawned it so I could have drinking and gas money. I hadn’t had a job for two months previous and was lying to my parents (who I was living with for a few months at the age of 38) about that as well by pretending every day to go off to a job while instead I went and drank vodka from Sprite bottles at a local park for hours at a time. I finally got caught re: stealing that jewelry that Sunday, had known it was coming for a few days. It was an awful time in my life, probably the lowest of the many lows I've had

I was pretty active in the Class of July 2013 that time. Posted at least once a day and at least kinda tried to communicate with others. But I never told them the truth about what was really going on in my life, about why I was on SR in the first place. I was also going to AA meetings every day but was not asking for help there. Wasn't speaking during meetings, didn't get a sponsor, didn't work any steps. I would comment on how nice the weather was if anyone asked, that's about it.

I had finally gotten a job on July 19, my sobriety date that time. I got a place to live about a month after joining SR. My life got a lot better quickly. Of course, it was so low when I started that it didn't take much to be better. 69 days after taking that last drink, I decided that my real problem had been my dishonesty and thievery and that is was OK for me to start drinking again. I disappeared from the Class of July 2013 without a word after posting here on the morning of September 25, 2013, and didn’t log in on SR again until...

Day One #2 -- Class of October 2014 -- joined on October 17, 2014

I don’t remember what in particular brought me back to SR this time. In the thirteen months since my last post, I’d managed to keep that same job and house. I had stopped going out to bars and was just drinking at the house alone 99% of the time. I'm guessing I was just getting tired of being hungover and alone when I came back here.

Judging by my posts in the October 2014 Class, I only made it six or seven days this time before I disappeared again only to next reappear in…

Day One #3 -- Class of November 2014 -- joined November 6, 2014

According to this post joining the November 2014 class, this was my third day one in the last ten days. Once again, don’t remember what exactly was going on with me to cause this stab at sobriety. But this quote from that post is pretty telling:

I said it yesterday or the day before or whenever it was I last posted in here, but I know my biggest problem right now is not wanting to ask for help. It's just so easy for me to isolate. So that's what I'm going to work on today--asking for help.
You could cut and paste that whole bit about not asking for help and accurately describe every single one of those hundreds of day ones I’d had over the last thirteen years.

I think I lasted ten or twelve days in the Class of November 2014 before going back out and drinking for a couple of weeks and then joining…

Day One #4 -- Class of December 2014 -- joined December 1, 2014

Looks like I only lasted six days in the Class of December 2014. If you click on the above post link, you’ll see I didn’t even bother to explain at all what was going on in my life when I joined that class. Just said “Day 1 again.” You can read the relapse already forming in the spaces between each word.

Of course most every alcoholic likes to make a New Year’s Resolution to not drink. I was no exception as I started…

Day One #5 -- Class of January 2015 -- joined January 1, 2015

I actually lasted 39 days this time. How did I do it? I posted a paragraph of BS every morning on that class thread about how good I was feeling, went to my awful job, and then came home and sat by myself and played video games for eight or nine hours at a time. Day after day.

Is it any wonder that I disappeared again in early February only to reappear again on…

Day One #6 -- Class of March 2015 -- joined March 7, 2015

This might be the saddest of all these day one posts. I don’t remember the specifics of what brought me back—probably just an extra bad hangover after three or so weeks of continuous drinking—but you can just read the resignation and the lack of desire to really try in this post:

Day 1 again. And again. And again. Sigh.

Getting ready for work now. Will post more later.
I didn’t post more later. That is my only post in the Class of March 2015. Which means that despite how awful I was obviously feeling when I posted that pitiful message that morning, I drank again later that same night and didn’t log back in on SR until…

Day One #7 -- Class of April 2015 -- joined April 3, 2015

It looks like I made it to day two in this class. I guess that’s an improvement over my one day stint in the previous month. I was still lying to myself in my posts about actually asking for help this time. I did not ask for help and disappeared again until…

Day One #8 -- Class of May 2015 -- joined May 1, 2015

Ok, I said before that my Class of March entry was the saddest but this one might be even worse. Here it is in it’s entirety:

I’m in.
That’s it. Two words. Definitely no commitment there. No remorse. Just another day one that I knew wasn’t going to last. Maybe it’s an improvement that I wasn’t BSing about asking for help or going to AA. At least I can look back now with seventy days sober behind me and say that maybe I was getting ready to reach a new bottom of sorts.

But I wasn’t done drinking. Sometime between that post on May 1 and May 7, I went and bought a 1.75L bottle of cheap scotch. I know I had the bottle in my house for a couple of days before I broke it open. On Thursday, May 7, I was supposed to be at work at eleven in the morning. I did not go to work. I did not call in sick to work or make up an excuse about a dead grandmother. I just didn’t go. Instead I sat at home on that Thursday and drank from that cheap Scotch all day long. I ran out of ice early on so was just drinking it straight up with a splash of water most of the day. It gave me terrible heartburn. That's actually the main thing I think of when I try to remember today how I felt during that last drunk.

I took a last sip at around 11:30 that night. The bottle had maybe 10% left when i woke up the next morning hungover as I've ever been. I ran the water in my kitchen sink at full blast and quickly turned that bottle upside down in the sink and ran from the room so that I wouldn’t throw up from the smell.

I had to work that morning/afternoon of Friday, May 8. I didn’t make any big declarations of “I’m never going to drink again.” My bosses didn’t mention my no call, no show of the day before. It was not a very well-managed place of business. (I ended up quitting nine days later. That's also another story.) I just felt like hell all day. I came home and put on my pajamas and laid in bed for hours until at about nine o’clock on that Friday night when for some reason I got on SR and posted this…

Day One #9 -- aka MY FINAL DAY ONE -- Class of May 2015 -- joined again on May 8, 2015

This is what I posted at 9:31 pm that night:

Sober tonight. Really craving some candy but it's raining and I don't have a car or an umbrella. Trying to decide if I want to walk the two blocks to the store. I probably will. I really want that candy.
Notice that I didn’t admit to drinking again. Didn’t admit it was my day one. This should have just been another one in an increasingly long string of day ones here on SR for me. Only this time I wasn’t even admitting it was a day one. I wasn't actually lying in this post but I sure wasn't telling the truth about the state I was in either.

Instead I waited until the next morning and slyly posted something about it being “day two now.” No one called me on my BS because no one here cared enough about me to notice. And rightly so.

But a few days later something clicked in my head. I hadn’t drank in the meantime for whatever reason (I was often capable of going 7-8 days without drinking without too much pain) and was doing my usual vague every morning check ins of “Sober today. Day number fill in the blank. Work today. Taking it easy tonight. Blah blah blah.”

For some reason on around day ten this time, (like I said, I quit my job on day nine so had a lot more free time all of a sudden) I looked at regular contributors here like Dee and soberwolf and Incontrol15 (a member of the Class of April 2015 who was regularly coming to cheer us May 2015s on, that made a deep impression with me) and I thought to myself, “It looks like these folks are leading a lot happier life than I am. What are they doing to stay sober today that I can emulate?” I saw two things for sure:

First, they asked for help when they were in trouble of any kind. I’d been saying for years that I needed to ask for help, but I very seldom followed through on that. And when I did, I was never completely honest about the situation I was in. Always tried to make it seem less serious than it really was.

Second, they were always helping others here. Even if it was just a simple “hello” to a newcomer or an “I’m sorry this is happening” to someone who was hurting, they were always letting others know that they were being listened to.

Something clicked in my head at that point and I realized that was the missing part of the equation. If I wanted help myself, I needed to be willing to help others. That very day I made a vow to start reading every single post on this Newcomers board and to respond to every one that I possibly could. I also made a vow that if I had even the slightest twinge or thought of having a drink or any other unhealthy thought or issue in my life, I would be honest and post about it immediately.

Soon after that I discovered the simple truth and power in the idea that I don’t have to take that first drink no matter what. You’ve all seen me post that sentence a thousand times in the last two-plus months. And you’ll probably hear it a lot more. It’s one of the cornerstones of my recovery today. Whether I’m happy or sad or angry or jealous or afraid or resentful or tired or joyous, I do not have to take that first drink today. It will not make whatever situation/emotion I’m in any better and could very well make it worse. And as long as I don’t take that first drink, I will never have to worry about that second or third or tenth drink that would almost always follow.

And that combination of asking for help, helping others, and taking drinking as a viable option off the table with the help of my “no matter what” mantra has been the difference this time. I’m so very grateful to each and every one of you who has posted here on SR over the last seventy days. Whether you now have one day sober or 10,000 in a row, you have kept me sober one day at a time. There is an amazing amount of power in the simple act of one addict helping another. I’m proud to be on both sides of that equation here today. Thanks again to each of you, especially my fellow travelers in the Classes of May 2015, July 2013 (so glad I reconnected with all of you), the One Year and Unders, and the daily 24-hour thread.

I look forward to continuing to walk down this path of recovery with all of you one day at a time. I know that seventy days is still very early in recovery, but it's my new personal "world record" and I have learned that if I keep doing tomorrow what I did to stay sober today, there's no reason that I can't keep setting a new personal "world record" of continuous days sober every single day in the foreseeable future. Something is different this time and I give all the credit to SR. Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your journey and insight Casey.

For whatever it's worth you're really nailling it this time - congratulations!

D
Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey, great, insightful post, and I for one related a lot to your journey. Thank you for your continuing support and encouragement.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read every word of that. As someone that has "day one" all the freakin time I really appreciated everything you had to say. This post is inspirational and I look forward to one day hitting day 70 and referring to it. I remember your posts and have always appreciated them. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to write that all out Casey, it was very emotional and helpful for me to read. Actually, I am crying as I type this. Congratulations to you, I hope to be where you are soon.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brilliant honest writing
congratulations.....
Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for that heartfelt and honest post, CaseyW - it brought a tear to my eye; you are inspiring; bless you!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Casey, huge congrats on 70 days! I, too, read every word of your terrific post and thank you for that. In my struggles I also have found that reading and responding in the Newcomers' threads has added another dimension to my recovery.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are awesome
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nmd

Very inspirational post Casey, thank you for sharing and being there. :-) I wish that the rest of your recovery keeps getting better.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Casey, so proud of you, way to go!!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

"Soon after that I discovered the simple truth and power in the idea that I don’t have to take that first drink no matter what. You’ve all seen me post that sentence a thousand times in the last two-plus months. And you’ll probably hear it a lot more. It’s one of the cornerstones of my recovery today. Whether I’m happy or sad or angry or jealous or afraid or resentful or tired or joyous, I do not have to take that first drink today. It will not make whatever situation/emotion I’m in any better and could very well make it worse. And as long as I don’t take that first drink, I will never have to worry about that second or third or tenth drink that would almost always follow."

Congratulations on 70 days, Casey!!!!

This was an awesomely honest and inspiring read to start my day with, thank you!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amazing, Casey. I love that you laid it all out there like that. Totally heartfelt and honest. I'm beyond proud of you and you have helped us Mayvens in particular so much. Your "no matter what" mantra has kept me sober on numerous occasions. I'm glad to be a part of your journey.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your straight forward, honest and inspiring post, Casey; I read every word.

Congratulations on 70 amazing sober days, Casey.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Appreciate the kind words everyone. Sorry again about the long post, but it felt good to get it out and, like I said, I got a lot out of finally taking the time to really examine my history of relapses.

Wishing everyone on SR a sober, happy, joyous, and free day today! One day at a time, we've got this together...
Old 07-16-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Casey,

I too have just read every single word too.

Dee is spot on, you are completely nailing it this time.

I love that you are paying it forward by checking in on the Class of June 15 too, as you said Incontrol15 did for you . I'm hugely impressed that you take time and effort do that. As you know those understanding nudges and supportive comments matter. I am glad it is helping you get better.

As I read your post, my one year old baby daughter fell asleep in my arms.

Her father is 40 days sober today, largely thanks to you. We are both in your debt, my friend. Thank you !
Old 07-16-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What a great post, honest, sharing, authentic.......... You are a star for sharing and for sure this will help others (and me). 70 days is flaming fantastic!

xx
Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Way to go Casey!
Thanks for sharing your very inspiring and heartfelt journey. Your encouraging words here have been a tremendous help to me as well.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

A difficult story to read, congratulations on the distance so far of your current journey, and thanks for posting on my posts...as you so eloquently stated, just a small post showing someone cares can make THE difference in someone's day, week, month or maybe even life! Helping others always helps yourself!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Tenacity is the key!!

Glad you're here with us Casey!

I too was good at quitting, had a lot of practice at it

Together WE stay sober