Notices

Detoxing

Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Detoxing

I decided to quit drinking cold turkey this time. I was headed straight for the grave. The info I've been reading says not to quit cold turkey because it's dangerous and can cause health problems. I live alone so I'm detoxing alone. I had roughly 30 drinks a day and have gone to 0. Now I'm afraid I'll have some horrible side effects. Any advice? I need it.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi My3Sunz

My advice is to get professional medical help if you can - it's better to be safe that sorry.

I had a home alone detox - I'd done that many times without apparent ill effect - but my last one went belly up and I ended up in a pretty bad way.

Not trying to scare you - just honestly sharing why I always suggest seeing a Dr

D
Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Can't say it any better than Dee did above. Alcohol withdrawals can be serious business--it's always best to get a doctor involved. On the other side, drinking 30 drinks a day is even more serious business. That is a whole lot of poison.

Welcome to SR, My3Sunz! There is a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here. I hope you'll check in with us often.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First of all, congratulations on your decision to quit. It will be the best decision you've ever made in your life, because with alcohol in it, you have no life. And at 30 drinks a day, you were headed straight to the grave.

The most important part is to get through the detox phase safely, since it can be dangerous. It's not always the case, for many people it's heavy but then they're fine, but as Dee said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

And I agree with him on getting professional medical help.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome to SR
Old 07-16-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

See your doctor today! Please!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I have been through many withdrawals but then continued to drink a few weeks later.

My last withdrawal I wound up in the ER with my wife scared silly. Right there I decided that it would be my last one. I came up with a plan and started my recovery. When I was at the hospital the Dr. let me know just how serious all those times I self detoxed were, I could have had a stroke or heart attack. I had no idea it was that serious and I had put myself through it numerous times. Luckily I never got the Delirium Tremons because that would be a whole other set of problems.

Be safe a 30 beer a day habit is big, get checked out.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Originally Posted by My3Sunz View Post
[...]I live alone so I'm detoxing alone. I had roughly 30 drinks a day and have gone to 0. Now I'm afraid I'll have some horrible side effects. Any advice? I need it.
I'm not a doc, but 30 a day is serious enough that I'd have someone nearby at the least in case I had a seizure or convulsions. I'd go see a doc or clinic if it were me.

You're doing this for your health and survival. Stack the deck in your favor.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'd also suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawals. Alcohol w/d can be dangerous. Be safe.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welp, I'm going to say the same as everyone else. Please see a doctor, go to the ER, or clinic. That is some serious drinking. I hope you'll keep us posted. Wishing you the very best.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone here. Please see a doctor and let him/her guide you through a safe detox. Going cold turkey is dangerous and alcohol withdrawal is no joke.

I had a medically supervised detox in a rehab center. My withdrawals were so horrible the doctor had me on detox for 9 days. I don't mean to scare you, but please consider seeing a physician.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How are you doing today, My3Sunz?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum My3Sunz!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My story is hanging around here somewhere. Pretty new. I detoxed on my own a few times. I was drinking very heavily. This time, I nearly died. All my electrolytes were off. Potassium and Magnesium were way off. I had to have an EKG, heart monitors, I was on a Potassium drip for six days. I nearly had renal failure. I was in ICU. I'm not trying to scare you and in when I used to come to these boards and think i could do it on my own. One of the reasons I didn't want to go to the doctor is because I didn't want to hear what was wrong. Well, I found out that and way more in ER. My husband forced me to go. Once he told me that I may go into a coma I willing went.

I am now in out patient therapy. today is Day 2. I was in the hospital for 6 days.