Notices

Help

Old 07-14-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hi everyone. Haven't been here in a while hope everyone is doing well. Thinking about going to an AA meeting tomorrow. I am scared as it would be my first one, I dont know what to expect and not entirely sure it is for me. Does anyone have any advice on taking this step? I am so angry with myself for being back to this. Ruined another night/day, hurt the person I love again, ashamed and embarassed and my apology doesnt mean a thing anymore. It isnt a disaster every time I drink but this happens way too often. Please help. I feel pathetic and have been told I am repeatedly. I have terrible anxiety.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, HopePeace. Good to see you back! Our disappointment in ourselves is a catalyst for real change, don't you think? You can do this.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Hope, glad you made it back. I went to AA meetings the first month of sobriety and couldn't find a good fit in several different groups, in three different counties. Had I been able to get comfortable, I would have stuck around longer. What I did do, I attended open meetings and brought my sister with me to the first couple. This helped ease me into the swing of things. I'm also fortunate enough to have several family members and friends in recovery to help guide me.

My other advice, not that it's worth anything, is to be kind to yourself, especially now, when you're already still raw. You aren't a bad person, you're a sick person who now knows how to go about fixing yourself. That's an amazing step to take, be proud of yourself for that. Some of us don't get so lucky
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're back and seeking support.

I'm not an AA person, but I think you should do whatever you think will work for you. And, you will also find lots of support here.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by HopePeace View Post
I am so angry with myself for being back to this. Ruined another night/day, hurt the person I love again, ashamed and embarassed and my apology doesnt mean a thing anymore. It isnt a disaster every time I drink but this happens way too often.
Hi HopePeace, You won't know if AA is for you unless you give it a chance. But compared to what you have written here it sure won't be worse at a meeting then looking forward to more of this. You are worth so much more.

I vote for you to go to a meeting and test the waters.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This is one of my favorite recent posts on the subject of going to your first AA meeting. I highly suggest reading it all the way through:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a-meeting.html
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. Again I'm having a hard time dealing with the aftermath of my actions while drunk. It helps a lot to have people to talk to that understand how this feels. Hope everyone has a good day today
Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard people in AA say "Finally I found someone who speaks my language" and "Coming here feels like being with family".

I took me a lot to enter those doors the first time, but I never regretted it. And what's the worst that can happen..? If it's not for you, nobody will make you go back. (I found it's a lot like this forum, only f2f.)
Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk HopePeace
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you!