Notices

Stick around!

Old 07-14-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Stick around!

You *can* quit using alcohol and drugs!
  • I joined this forum 2 years, 7 months, 18 days ago, not counting today.
  • My last drink was 527 days ago.
  • Prior to my sobriety date, it had been roughly 18,000 days since my first drink. Much of that was daily drinking. I don't remember when I started having a couple-few shots of gin before I left for work. Or when I started keeping a bottle in my desk -- maybe 2006?
I don't remember much, you know?

Water under the bridge. I look back on those days thoughtfully, including a lot of hard days in early recovery, but I don't stare. The effect alcohol had on me is over, with the help of this forum and a lot of individuals here whom I won't name. You might be one You might become one, if you stick around.

Amazing things happen if you allow yourself to live sober. It's a whole different ballgame -- you don't get wounded nearly as often, and you have a chance at winning!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I am glad you stick around Snarkbunny. I would also add don't worry about becoming an SR addict. The early months of recovery should fell like a full time job. When you start to need it less you will log on less and it takes as long as it takes. I remember being so worried I was still using this site heavy after a year. What I didn't know was all the issues I had in my blind spot getting ready to come into view. I am glad I had still had support when I needed it. Now I mainly stick around to harass a few people.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

This place is life saving, really
Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The people here, sharing their recovery, are truly amazing.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Now I mainly stick around to harass a few people.
Aw we don't think of it as harassment! It's more like those tickles where you're not quite sure whether they're fun or scary.

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
This place is life saving, really
Tam! xx
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, the Injured List stopped being fun way back around the second inning.

I talked out a few big issues here and in my journal early on and I'm glad I did. No such thing as being "done" with growth and learning.

Thanks for being you, courage2.

If we can do it, anyone can!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful post courage! Look back, but don't stare. Perfect.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm personally glad you've stuck around, Courage, because I always enjoy reading your posts and shares.

SR has helped me sift through some of the muck, that's for sure. I plan to hang around for a while. Guess I'll kick up my feet, grab an iced tea, and hang out with you guys indefinitely

It is a scary thing to have a botched memories and even some blanks in there. It's nice to know we don't have to worry about losing any more time. It feels as though I've discovered some "secret" of life in sobriety Um, yeah, it is an incredible thing to go through this life and remember things clearly, to make some actual good and even lovely memories, and not cringe at all about the things I've done since April 1st 2013! It's nice to be able to hold my head high, look people in the eyes ... and say what I mean, and mean what I say!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its amazing here and so comfy I second hevyn too
Old 07-14-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post! Truer words never spoken. I've been sober over 3 years now and I don't know where I'd have been without the support of this board. In the beginning I complained a lot (poor me!) and after I while I noticed that I was able to help and support others. Felt good. Still here.

As for the past...I shuffle through some boxes in the attic once in a while, but most of the time I'm too busy with the stuff in the present. The past is nothing but a thought, it no longer exists. Fond memories are the best, but even they cannot be duplicated. The future is always trying to peer over my shoulder, but I can brush those looming doubts away pretty easily. Live the best life you can, today. Why not? I always wanted to live a life filled with freedom, hope, and exploration. All it took was tossing the drink away to achieve it. In the end I am happy I made that trade.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Courage/S.!
I loved your post here encouraging others to stick around. I know for me the last 2 years 8 months have been a gift. To keep it though, I've got to freely give it back. Coming here each night I get inspired to stay on this path. Because of friends like yourself and many others.
Oh ya, look back and not stare.....that is brilliant. Simple and The Truth.
Thanks ,
Bobbi