Notices

Compartmentalizing you brain

Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Compartmentalizing you brain

Hi all

Yes back it day 4 . I have been going good till day5-6 and then relapse. I like the tool of thinking one day at a time as the idea of lifetime is still scary for me.

Here comes the hard part. I am a planner and like to plan as much as possible in advance. I look into future and try to make sure all will work well as much as I can... Of course nothing is guaranteed .

So my question is on one hand financially and every other way I do take rest of my life in consideration. Then how do I think of the nod day concept for remaining sober.

I am not challenging the tool , and I really want to learn to use it. So any suggestions to implement in real life, any tricks you used please share it if you can.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

"if you want to make god laugh tell him about your plans"

Maybe read the power of now by eckhart tolle.

This present moment is all we ever have. the future could be anything. make all the plans you want you could hit the lotto tommorrow or get hit by a bus what does it matter?

The past has come and gone why bring it into this present moment whats the point? do you really want to relive it now? if so how many times?

It took me a long long time to get to this point and i'm still working on it. But I guess go ahead save money for retirment or whatever it is you do for your future but hold on to all of those concepts and notions loosely or better yet dont hold on to it at all.

compartmentalize it like you said if you will. I saved money i put it there poof out of site out of mind whatever will be will be. If one day you retire and the money is there hey wow great if not oh well what does it matter?

Theres other books I can recommend to you if you want PM me etc..

I heard something the other day about keeping our future unwritten so that we can be more open to it when it happens. For example if i got into debt now i'd basicly have that burden around my neck in the future i'd be draging it along with me having it weigh me down having it in the way of thing si could do but now cannot a decision from my past screwing me in my future etc.. But if i do not get into debt now my future can be whatever it will be without those kinds of restrictions etc..
Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope this helps http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

One day at a time is an AA concept that I subscribe to. But, if that were my only "tool" it really does not mean much, for me.

I have to learn some other things about sobriety as well - like who the heck I am and why did I constantly want to pour poison into my body. It was more complex than just not drinking.

I guess its a paradox, but in order for me to get to the point of understanding staying in the moment, one day at a time -- I had to stay sober long enough for my brain to clear. Then and only then did things start to make any sense.

Glad you're here,
keep coming back!
Old 07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is the nod day?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It is not one day at a time. It is one moment at a time. "I want a drink!" "NO!" "I want a drink!" "NO!" Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all ! Tomorrow and say after are danger days. I have kept appointments for tomorrow throughout the day so I will be accountable. Will plan for the day after tomorrow .... Then will see next day. If I have to be accountable to do something throughout the day I can't drink