Notices

Trying to get on track. Just an update.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get on track. Just an update.

So, I'm coming up on 2 months since my last drink. That's good, but I haven't been taking very good care of myself otherwise. Junk food, slacking on the exercise, being a slob, smoking more cigarettes, sitting around for hours at a time watching nothing on tv. Basically the same lifestyle as when I was drinking, just sans booze. Kind of wallowing, really.

I've been wondering why I haven't felt as good these last few weeks as I did around the same time in my last sober stint. And I think that it's because I haven't been putting the amount of energy into life that I did last time. So today it begins. Back to actively trying to make my life better, which is why I wanted to get sober in the first place.

Gave my kitchen a good cleaning earlier and realized that I still had empty beer bottles on the counter from back in May. I guess they'd been there so long that I stopped noticing them. Funny how that works.

Anyway, no real news here. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi". Let everyone know I'm still around. Not posting so much but I do stop by to read a couple of times a day.

Thanks for being here, everyone!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 2 months SDH

I think it is reasonable to concentrate exclusively on quitting alcohol at first to the exclusion of other things.

Now that you have a couple of months sober time then you can start to pick up in other areas

I know from personal experience that stopping smoking is only possible when not drinking
Old 07-13-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think taking care of ourselves - and expending a bit of energy - really helps SDH - it makes a big difference.

Good for you

D
Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats SDH 2 months is amazing
Old 07-13-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi SDH! I was wondering where you were!
Well done on two months and for taking action to improve other areas of your life as well! Are you still with the band?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on two months. Would be great if you started posting to the November 2014 class again. A few of us seem to have revived the thread.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 months. That's terrific. A little at a time I add something positive to my sobriety. A little more exercise. Eating a little better. I'm still eating too much sugar and still smoking. I don't like to be rushed into anything. I've got 19 months and am still a work in progress, as are you. Add little things.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Groundhog: I will try and start posting again in the November 2014 class, I just don't have much to say these days. And what with my recent tumble and the fact that I haven't made any kind of significant steps toward bettering myself I don't feel I'm in a position to be much help to others. *shrug* But yeah, I should stop in and say hello at least.

Brynn: Still with the band. It's coming along nicely, though very slowly because we only practice once a week. Gets me out of my apartment and puts a guitar in my hands for a few hours, so that's a good thing!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job with the two months
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on another couple of months. I can also relate to quite a lot of what your saying.

I presume it is your band as they say? You have got some real musical talent going on, man.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aww shucks, Strat! No, it's not "my band". I put an ad on craigslist looking to put together a band to play my music and this guy contacted me saying he already had most of a band put together, they just needed to add a "creative" guitarist to the mix. They've got like 30 original songs already so I'm working my way through those. I'm working on some stuff that I think would work with these guys, though, so I'm hoping to put some of my own music on the list soon. I'm actually just putting the finishing touches on a song about an alcoholic. Should be fun explaining the inspiration for that one!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds alright, putting an album together? Could be good man. I'd like to hear your new song. I actually managed a guy for a brief period before, well that was the plan at least. We got an album recorded, aside from that the guy was impossible. Insanely talented though, I mean really.

I had a great vision for him but he started ego tripping and taking over my life. He ran off with one copy of the CD to drunkenly play to everyone for a few weeks, so that was a relief. P'd off my mate with the recording gear too by acting like he was at Abbey Road and bossing us about.

We were doing all this as a favor, in fact I arranged it. Like I say though he was immensely talented . Think I might have the album on a hard drive somewhere still, if not there is a video that I took of him online I must share with the music group. Good luck with the new venture anyway.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, Strat! Yeah, I guess the music biz can be tough. Lots of egos to stroke and whatnot. The idea here is to work toward recording and putting the music out via the internet, I think. No gigging whatsoever.

I'm hoping to finish writing it and record a mock-up of the new song so the guys can get an idea of what the finished product should sound like. Maybe over the next week or so. I'll probably post it somewhere here on SR, seeing as how it's about us and all (not literally about SR, but you know...the drinking thing).
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hah, wasn't so much a business than the guy blew into town with an acoustic guitar. He'd only been writing and playing a year, never gigged or recorded before- his songs were really amazing! Blew my mind.

We were hanging out a bit and discussing this, I said we would get a demo recorded and I would work as his manager sending the demo and getting him gigs. It was a foolproof plan actually, he was that good.

But he F'd off with the master when I wanted us to work together narrowing it down to a demo and working out the concept as we had agreed. He was eating and smoking me out of house and home anyway.

And more importantly, waking me too early every day (for those purposes, and not to work on the project. It's a shame actually). He stole from me then, the final straw. Good stuff man I look forward to that!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad to hear your still passionate about your music, SDH!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey SDH it's good to hear from you!

Yeah it's funny how laziness kind of feeds on itself..... the less you do the less you want to do. I've been there, I think most of us have.

I always wished I was a musical genius! But alas I have no talent for it...... just a passion for listening.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two months sober!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 months SDH. Great accomplishment. Good for you on trying to be more active in making your life better. I think it does take effort and at times we all fall into a rut.