Notices

6 days here, any shares?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days here, any shares?

I am 6 days sober, again. I have gone to an AA meeting every night, got a sponsor and the home group. Feeling ready to be done with this crap and finally putting in the effort. But I still feel like crap. I read posts where people are feeling great by day three, and I feel discouraged. Anyone share their first days and weeks? I am terrified.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm with you. I feel real fatigued right now about day 3. I just went for a walk. I know sometimes little things like that is all it takes to feel better. I was really craving earlier.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lscotty and stark-keep hanging in there. The recovery process is different for many of us. The first month was really hard for me between the tiredness and the cravings. Just keep on hanging in there. It truly does get better with the more continuous sober time that you get.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I spent a whole week at in-patient detox, and then it took at least a few weeks for my body and mind to adjust to the lack of alcohol.

If you are still experiencing acute symptoms, maybe you should see a doctor?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I spent a whole week at in-patient detox, and then it took at least a few weeks for my body and mind to adjust to the lack of alcohol.

If you are still experiencing acute symptoms, maybe you should see a doctor?
Nothing crazy. Just tired, some tummy issues and I feel like a crazy person. Does not help that I am a complete hypochandriac and am pretty sure I am gonna die.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everybody's different, but for me, I could barely get out of bed for the first two days. By day three I could actually eat something, so I can safely say I was not feeling great after three days. Actually, the first week was pretty tough. I've seen people at AA meetings that share that that is their first day. Always amazed me. I was shaking so bad the first two days, there's no way I could even drive to a meeting let alone sit in one. If you're feeling like crap, I understand. John
Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was sober for almost 2 years a year ago I started again. I'm back to the point of being sick of it. It seems like it gets harder but I just have to keep telling myself it gets easier. I know for a fact there was a point I would go weeks without even thinking about drinking.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stark6935 View Post
I was sober for almost 2 years a year ago I started again. I'm back to the point of being sick of it. It seems like it gets harder but I just have to keep telling myself it gets easier. I know for a fact there was a point I would go weeks without even thinking about drinking.
I was sober for four years and relapsed. So angry I let myself get to this point again.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Everybody's different, but for me, I could barely get out of bed for the first two days. By day three I could actually eat something, so I can safely say I was not feeling great after three days. Actually, the first week was pretty tough. I've seen people at AA meetings that share that that is their first day. Always amazed me. I was shaking so bad the first two days, there's no way I could even drive to a meeting let alone sit in one. If you're feeling like crap, I understand. John
Thanks. I just feel like I should be feeling on top of the world. I don't. When does it get better?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Closing down Day 4, waking up 3 am in a panic last 2 nights so definitely not feeling great, but it's different than waking up panicked and hungover too~ I have been able to have decent last couple of days with little sleep. Headaches, pain from old injuries flaring up tho, a dizzy episode somewhere. We each react in a different way I suppose. Yeah, hard not to be jealous of Day 3 feeling 100% peachy keen, no cravings posts but I haven't read a lot of those honestly. I'm listening to the veterans who say it gets easier after a few weeks, and trying to find some good things each day, like I saw my eyelids today, first time in a long time without a puffy face. No walk in the park for sure, don't want to repeat this again.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lscotty - I think everyone's different
It was usual for me to still feel pretty cruddy at day 6.
the second week things picked up a little usually.

Don't lose heart!

D
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Closing down Day 4, waking up 3 am in a panic last 2 nights so definitely not feeling great, but it's different than waking up panicked and hungover too~ I have been able to have decent last couple of days with little sleep. Headaches, pain from old injuries flaring up tho, a dizzy episode somewhere. We each react in a different way I suppose. Yeah, hard not to be jealous of Day 3 feeling 100% peachy keen, no cravings posts but I haven't read a lot of those honestly. I'm listening to the veterans who say it gets easier after a few weeks, and trying to find some good things each day, like I saw my eyelids today, first time in a long time without a puffy face. No walk in the park for sure, don't want to repeat this again.
Amen!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lscotty1 View Post
I was sober for four years and relapsed. So angry I let myself get to this point again.
It's crazy. I always knew in the back of my mind it's sneaky and can trick you into doing it again. Those two years were the most productive and healthy years of my life and I know we can do it again, but it wasn't easy the first few months last time either...
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Me too. I have literally slept like 18 hours a day the past couple days. I'm finally up and feeling mentally and physically better but it's already late so hopefully it continues tomorrow. I'm gonna keep doing stuff so I wake up and hopefully I'm happy at everything I've accomplished the day before. I never get any of my small things around the house done drunk.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm at Day 7, and although I thankfully had little to no physical symptoms, my emotions and psyche are completely haywire.

I think I was having a sort of mild emotional crisis when I started drinking heavily last year, so of course being sober hasn't magically caused everything in my life to stabilize.

But, that's okay. I've been down enough bumpy roads in this life to know that things do eventually stabilize if we keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I would like to get to a meeting and find a sponsor, but being in meetings gives me overwhelming social anxiety, so for now I'm posting here (which is still priceless in helping me get through each day).

Wishing you a steady return to health, we're all in this together.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 5here . I feel tired and the occasional headaches, nothing more to be honest. A bit cranky at times ?
some problems falling asleep, and more problems actually getting out of bed.

It feels weird not to drink, I have to create new habits I can do this. A bit more support from the family and husband would be nice but hey, I am doing this for me!
I guess they are worried that they are losing a drinking buddy, my husband is worried . He said a brake now and then is healthy but surely you wont keep this up?? ** I will, cause I want to.**
I am very aware of the fact that if I dont halt it now, I will have serious serious problems in the near future.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great on day 6 Lscotty
Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there Lscotty!!

For me it usually took a few weeks for me to feel back in the land of the living, give your body what it needs, food, fluids, rest, the body needs time!!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Lscotty, I know you say you are not feeling like a million bucks, but are you doing anything to try and feel better?
If you are serious about your feelings that you are pretty sure you are going to die, would you consider seeking some medical?