Notices

Will sleep help my anxiety?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will sleep help my anxiety?

After 9 months not drinking I relapsed yesterday. I had a really bad hangover this morning and slept it off. I went to a meeting this evening and just got back home. I am getting really anxious and do not know why! I am tired and thinking of going to bed. Will sleep help reduce my anxiety?
Old 07-12-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your relapse. I know when I don't sleep or don't get enough sleep my anxiety goes up a few notches. A good nights rest should definitely help your anxiety or it does mine but of course everyone is different. Either way, it won't hurt.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your anxiety is probably due to the relapse yesterday and the alcohol leaving your system. Hopefully it won't last too long. Do you know what caused you to decide to drink? I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get some sleep and wake up tomorrow morning and give sobriety another try. I've been there a few times. Don't give up trying to stay sober.

MM
Old 07-12-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I relapsed after 5-month sobriety period, I experienced the worst anxiety I've ever felt in my life. It was this hangover that spurred me to quit for good 22 months ago.

Drink a LOT of water, along with fruits and veggie for potassium and electrolyte replacement. A lot of your anxiety might be from dehydration.

Take good care of yourself.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is likely that your anxiety is from withdrawing from alcohol. It should settle down in a few days. A good rest won't hurt.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys....I plan to get some sleep tonight. Rehydrate myself and have a bite to eat. The reason for me having a drink yesterday - Not accepting step 1. Also life was becoming monotonous and still quite isolated. On reflection 10 years of drinking means that things will not be resolved overnight. I still not to build bridges with some people.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The anxiety may also be heightened by a conscious or subconscious feeling of guilt and/or shame. Sorry to hear about the slip, but maybe brush it off and keep moving forward. 9 months is nothing to sneeze at, congratulations.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Bobby Accepting it for me just means i know what will happen if i drink i accept that i cant drink safely or responsibly & i would never want to think i could either it nearly killed me when i thought i could

Are you doing anything else besides meetings ?