Notices

I have sworn for years I would never do this

Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have sworn for years I would never do this

Going to inpatient rehab Tuesday. Scared but also relieved. Anyone care to share their experience? Need support.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't have direct experience Ali, but I congratulate you on this important step and wish you all the best. What a turning point for you!
Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ali2013 View Post
Going to inpatient rehab Tuesday. Scared but also relieved. Anyone care to share their experience? Need support.
No experience, but as a friend tells me: you do you. This is what you need to get a great jump start on living aware.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience either, but I'm glad you made the decision to take care of yourself.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take advantage of it as much as you can. Commit, participate and try to learn as much as you can. They will help you but this is up to you and you can use this opportunity to change your life. Don't be embarrassed or disappointed, be excited.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

No experience with it but I decided if I couldn't stay sober without it I would go. It's great that you're willing to say enough is enough and up the ante.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rehab is a good thing. Best decision I ever made. Stick it out...in the beginning i had to deal with withdrawal symptoms and anxiety of dealing with life without pills/alcohol. You can do it!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

No direct experience myself with rehab but just want to congratulate you on taking such a big step forward, Ali2013. Wishing you the best and hope you'll come and tell us all about your experience in the near future!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Inpatient treatment saved my life. Be open and take advantage of every opportunity to learn about yourself. It is a safe place to do this if you have emotional triggers.

I had a wonderful experience-made several friends I am still in touch with after 4 years. Best decision I ever made.

You got this!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Trying to embrace it and not fight it. Upset that the equine therapy doesn't involve actually riding. I would love to be horse-back, hair flying in the wind. Maybe I can change their minds. Haha. That is the least of my worries. Leaving my daughter and trying to explain it to her is killing me. And I may or may not have a job when I get back. But gotta do this.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ali, Both my sisters completed 6 month rehabs in short it changed thier lives and i have my sisters bk

They have a great set of friends in sobriety and do loads with thier new found lives even helping ppl which is great

Ali i think your amazing bud
Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I finally went to rehab in December 2009 - I don't think I could have gotten and stayed sober without that six week stay. That said, don't get fooled into thinking that when you step out of rehab you're home free. You will need to find what works for you and deploy that plan when you leave rehab. It takes many months for sobriety to become your "new normal" and during those months if you want to stay sober you will have to actively pursue it. I went to a therapist, became active in aa, and read anything and everything I could get my hands on relating to sobriety and my program. I worked at sobriety like my life depended on it... because it did and still does. Addiction never goes away, but if you work at it, you will discover a quality of life that was impossible when drinking/using.

Goof luck, keep us posted!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have no experience with rehab but want to congratulate you, Ali, on taking such a courageous and strong step.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Wishing you the best Ali! This is great- you are going to get your life back.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great decision you have made. Wishing you well.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been to rehab and I think it was a great experience. Nothing to be concerned about, except maybe gaining a few extra pounds. I really pigged out. Ate three times a day and then there are those darn snacks. I usually only eat once a day. Gave me a reason to get back in the gym when I got out.
Seriously though, you're making the right decision. Just keep an open mind and you'll learn a lot. I hated going, but didn't want to leave when it was time. Good luck. John
Old 07-11-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're taking this big step toward sobriety.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did inpatient treatment and it really helped jump start my path to sobriety. Participate in what is offered. But understand that it's true. Rehab is just the start. I continue by coming in here. I attend AA meetings. I've made sober friends.

Pack comfortable clothes and shoes. Unopened toiletries and nothing containing alcohol. I brought change for vending machines and small bills, just in case. I brought some books but not many. Don't bring jewelry or any small valuables.

Whatever your life holds when you get out, know that you will face it with a clear head. I left my two young children when I went in. My parents cared for them while I was gone. Work? I had called drunk on a Sunday afternoon to say I was an alcoholic and needed treatment. It was a shock but I did have my job when I returned. Have faith. It's a leap of faith. But it can be done. It's a step to freedom.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

All the best, Ali, on your rehab., you can do this.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Trust me. You will never regret doing this !

By the end of your term...you will not want to leave. You will also think everyone should go through this at least once in there lives.

That's the way it was for me.

DD